Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Fellow RAVers:

I have owned 3 Rav 4's and though the other two were brand new, this latest one is my favorite. I bought a 2000 Rav 4 that I am super excited about and have had my eye on forever. This Rav was 1 owner, bought and traded in at the same dealership, well maintained, garage kept and superb condition given it's 17 years old. And, everything works, including the cassette and CD player!

Anyway, the under carriage is somewhat rusted, and as a precautionary measure before Chicago winter comes in, I'm considering getting it rust proofed at a local Maaco. I was wondering if you guys can give me your thoughts. Has anyone done it with their older RAV and how long did it last? Is it worth doing? Any thoughts on Maaco doing it? I really love this car and want to hold on to it as long as I can, but I am also afraid of messing with a good thing. In other words, it works and all is fine, and I don't want to screw around and mess things up.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Wax-Oil undercoat spray like Fluid Film is the bomb, some shops use a water soluble junk without any oil, as a base in their formula...later product washes off, after a month.

S/W Ontario uses many Tons of rock salt and liquid Calcium, to combat black ice in Winters.
- the '86 Nissan Pathfinder was oiled every year, after I bought it used @ 3 years old
- 14 years in our family and never garaged
- it still looked incredible, after 14 added years more driving & 300K Km.
- so 17 yrs old, and still going strong
- with solid frame & floors, and zero door bottom rust
- finally sold it, for a good dollar...I wanted AC, PW/PDL & 2 door was difficult to get in back seats

That's the proof, using proper undercoat products & application technique.
- not all shops, created equal
- I'm from Canada, no Maaco shops up here...so can't evaluate them

PS - I pick a shop that uses the wax-oil i want sprayed / and the adult owner, does the undercoating.
- I don't want a High School kid making min. wage...under my vehicle
- untrained & running the spray wand....missing spots & conserving product
^^ That's what a local GM dealership was doing...LOL...and charging $100 for a Mickey Mouse job
- done correctly, 1st undercoating should take close to 1.5 hours
- future applications, take one hour...its not a 15-20 minute spray job

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Beaumont. I went to Maaco and attempted to get all the details, and your information was extremely helpful to that end. Well, the dude didn't know and kept saying he'll put on the most popular one they put on for all cars. He said it was oil based, but that I can come next weekend and we can look at it more carefully. So, the search continues for now. Thanks again for your valuable information.

·
Registered
13 Posts
one thing i can say i've found with my rav4 is that it's not so much the outside that'll rust badly, you gotta worry about what you cant see. i've found spots where the metal looks fine outside but inside is almost rotten through. if i found a clean rav4 i'd want to take it somewhere that'll spray inside the nooks and crannies of the unibody. it requires drilling holes that they'll plug, a small price to pay to avoid fist sized holes later on. my problematic areas were:
rear inner fenders the front half was quite rotten about a foot high, half a foot wide.
rocker panels (sunroof drain hoses go into rocker panels, water drains out wherever it can) were quite rotten by rear wheels, turns out they're thoroughly rotten from the inside out.
bumper bar below tailgate opening, bottom of that rusted from inside out

mines from southwestern ontario, they're heavy on the salt. hopefully you're wont be half as bad but i'd imagine that moisture must be accumulating in these areas somehow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, Craig7!

one thing i can say i've found with my rav4 is that it's not so much the outside that'll rust badly, you gotta worry about what you cant see. i've found spots where the metal looks fine outside but inside is almost rotten through. if i found a clean rav4 i'd want to take it somewhere that'll spray inside the nooks and crannies of the unibody. it requires drilling holes that they'll plug, a small price to pay to avoid fist sized holes later on. my problematic areas were:
rear inner fenders the front half was quite rotten about a foot high, half a foot wide.
rocker panels (sunroof drain hoses go into rocker panels, water drains out wherever it can) were quite rotten by rear wheels, turns out they're thoroughly rotten from the inside out.
bumper bar below tailgate opening, bottom of that rusted from inside out

mines from southwestern ontario, they're heavy on the salt. hopefully you're wont be half as bad but i'd imagine that moisture must be accumulating in these areas somehow.
This is very helpful information, and I'll now look for someone who can help with the inside. I went to a Maaco shop but the guy wasn't very informed or helpful. I didn't get the sense that he was going to really make it right, but more like do the minimal and collect the funds. I think because I'm a gal, it's a little bit trickier for me. Anyway, I'll keep researching for the right shop, but you guys have given me a lot of good information that I didn't know before.

By the way, the rav4 you have was my #1 choice, with manual gear, but those are impossible to find anymore. If you ever want to sell yours, hit me up! :wink

·
Registered
412 Posts
Two words..................... WIRE BRUSH !!!!

Grind off all rust and paint it............

That is what I have always done.. I hate TEMPORARY stuff when 5 years later rust comes back bigger and worse !!!

I am OCD about my cars.

Thankfully my RAV4 is from Arizona.
I had some brown on my FJ when I bought it from New York years ago. I spent 3 months under it wire brushing every corner. Painted it. It has been 7 years and it is perfect WITHOUT any under coating spray from anybody.

Moisture and air find their way.
Your vehicle with start corroding and it won't be visible to you.

Then again, my vehicles are for life. If you want to get rid of it in 5 years then you can do any temporary solutions like those.

ALSO... where are pictures??? Without pictures you really didn't buy a RAV4. LOL !!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, Rav4ever!

Two words..................... WIRE BRUSH !!!!

Grind off all rust and paint it............

That is what I have always done.. I hate TEMPORARY stuff when 5 years later rust comes back bigger and worse !!!

I am OCD about my cars.

Thankfully my RAV4 is from Arizona. I had some brown on my FJ when I bought it from New York years ago. I spent 3 months under it wire brushing every corner. Painted it. It has been 7 years and it is perfect WITHOUT any under coating spray from anybody.

Moisture and air find their way.Your vehicle with start corroding and it won't be visible to you

ALSO... where are pictures??? Without pictures you really didn't buy a RAV4. LOL !!
Rav4ever, I hadn't ever considered painting because I didn't know that could be done! ;)

Gosh, I wish you were closer and able to assist me. I have been really stuck on this because I don't trust the guys that I've talked with about this so far. They all seem to be very uninterested, very routinized in the spiel, and it's clear that they'd only do it for the cash. But this is MY baby and I really love it; heck, I want it to last as long as I do! In fact, after the rust protection, I want to do minor upgrades to make it really cute!

Anyone from Illinois Northern Burbs can help me? I'd really appreciate it and I'll compensate you for your time.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Will upload more. I want to add a row of lights on the roof, install partial roof rack, and perhaps some chrome accents. What do you think? I want to pizzaz it up, but without giving up my retirement fund! :D

That is one great looking RAV4.

You can get wire brush that you can stick inside your DRILL. They come in many sizes. Use a small one for tight areas and big one in an open area. Just press that button and start brushing away. Wear goggles on your eyes. There will be junk flying around. Just fry it off.

It is very easy and FREE and the BEST way to cure rust. Don't get nobody to do nothing. You are correct. They just want your money to send you to your merry way and 5 years down the road you won't even remember who did what when suddenly you see issues again.

It would be same as spraying good fragrance spray in a garbage can. You will never know what is there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rav4EVR - THANKS! :)

You can get wire brush that you can stick inside your DRILL. They come in many sizes. Use a small one for tight areas and big one in an open area. Just press that button and start brushing away. Wear goggles on your eyes. There will be junk flying around. Just fry it off. It is very easy and FREE and the BEST way to cure rust. Don't get nobody to do
nothing. You are correct. They just want your money to send you to your merry way and 5 years down the road you won't even remember who did what when suddenly you see issues again. It would be same as spraying good fragrance spray in a garbage can. You will never know what is there.

Rav4EVR, Thanks for your advice. I'm feeling so stuck. You see, I'd like to do what you suggested, but I don't have a lift, and -- not sure I want to get my nails dirty - yup, I'm a gal!:D :D :wink

I have to make this work though and being a gal, it does get a lot more complicated. Oy. If only I could find another Rav enthusiast who is invested in doing a good job and willing to help. As I said, I'm willing to compensate. I also want to install and alarm and lights - and hopefully, he can do all of that too. And, well, since I'm listing my wishes, if he looked like Brad Pitt, it would be perfectly ok for me! :wink

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rust Proofing RAV4 2000

I thought I'd update everyone on my situation. Usually, I'm quick to make decisions and get things accomplished. Well, with all the above mentioned issues, I was definitely dragging my feet. That turned out to be a good thing. A series of interesting things happened serendipitously. I took my baby into carmax to see how much it was worth and it turns out that I was ripped off by the dealer for a cool $3.5K. Yes, you read that right, they really took me. So, I went back to the dealer and told them that given the value of the car, the reality that I wanted to eventually buy another vehicle anyway, and that one of their port guys had did something very awful (which was caught on video), they owed me. They being so kind and generous (yes, perhaps a tinge of sarcasm here), agreed to rust proof my baby for "free". They claim it was an $1800 job, but me thinks not. So, for now, it is rust proofed and looks beautiful and I didn't even have to get my nails dirty! :)

Thank you guys for being so awesome and helping me through this; I value your thoughts and suggestions greatly.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I thought I'd update everyone on my situation. Usually, I'm quick to make decisions and get things accomplished. Well, with all the above mentioned issues, I was definitely dragging my feet. That turned out to be a good thing. A series of interesting things happened serendipitously. I took my baby into carmax to see how much it was worth and it turns out that I was ripped off by the dealer for a cool $3.5K. Yes, you read that right, they really took me. So, I went back to the dealer and told them that given the value of the car, the reality that I wanted to eventually buy another vehicle anyway, and that one of their port guys had did something very awful (which was caught on video), they owed me. They being so kind and generous (yes, perhaps a tinge of sarcasm here), agreed to rust proof my baby for "free". They claim it was an $1800 job, but me thinks not. So, for now, it is rust proofed and looks beautiful and I didn't even have to get my nails dirty! :)

Thank you guys for being so awesome and helping me through this; I value your thoughts and suggestions greatly.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

You should not use one dealers quote to buy your Rav as a reason to think you got ripped off. To be honest the KBB does not reflect a proper value of the 4.1 Rav4's. So that is why you probably got a low quote to sell it to a middle man. I sold my Rav4 convertible 5 speed fwd with 179k miles for $5500 to a private party only a few years ago.

And the one I just bought I paid more then KBB due to the low miles, also no reflected in the KBB.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Fluid-Film

I recommend a yearly treatment of Fluid-Film, for about US$150. Search Rav4World for it, I'm sure you'll be impressed.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,044 Posts
I did as RAV4EVR said, I got under her and wire brushed and used chemical rust removers wherever I couldn't get to with the brushes and sandpaper. I also cut out some fender area where metal strips retains the fender flares had corroded badly and spread to the body, replaced with fabricated aluminum ones. After I was finished, I primed, painted and on the underbelly under coated her. I replaced a dead transmission so while I had the cross members and control arms off I did those as well. I even did the engine bay while everything was out, the engine, tranny, driveshaft, and differential. She looks great now, take a look at my albums, and she will last a lot longer. I even did a camo wrap over her which gets a lot of comments. I wanted a built car not a factory car, so I do something all the time to make her unique and more functional although I admit some of it is just for fun.

Get her back into shape, a bit of work but worth it in the long run if you plan on keeping her.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts