Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a little late but I just cleaned the salt off my RAV today.

To any of you who live in areas where they salt roads.
Besides your rust protection don’t forget to go to a coin
powerwash place when you start seeing that powdery salt
Build up.
Spray the whole car top to bottom / under. Also rotate the flexible spray head and blast inside those wheel wells.

In the future I really hate to see another Rav with rust on it. :(

Oh, don’t do what i mentioned if the temp is –30 :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
749 Posts
mionee67 said:
Oh, don’t do what i mentioned if the temp is –30
Unless you have wonderful underground heated parking at work! :D

My RAV is the first brand new vehicle I've ever owned, so I went all out and got the full Ziebart package done to it, and am planning to keep it current every year. Won't be any rust on this baby anytime soon (as long as I remember to touch up the rock chips...)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I'm just itching to get that first coat of Zaino on the black RAV. Bought it in December and haven't had a day above 50 degrees yet.

Just has the junk wax from the dealer prep on there now.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have never waxed before. If i can borrow a good machine, and a very good how to do website i will then i will do it.

As for the rust proofing. Toyota tried to sell me their $900 package for $600 where they send it down the street to a shop for $300.
So I went to Rust Check in Canada. They did my Chrysler and we had it for 15 salty winters. Chrysler had a double dipped zinc process (like Mercedes at the time) which was excellent.
They built a lemon but it was not a rusty lemon. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Never waxed before??? I hope that at least means you pay someone else to wax it.

I love Zaino's syntetic wax. www.zainostore.com
No need for a buffer, just apply by hand. "Wax on, Wax off"

This is a 5 year old car.

And my 6 looked so boooootiful

·
Registered
986 Posts
I'm thinking of getting my Rav professionally detailed come spring time. I've done the polishing/waxing thing a number of times, but I can never get all the swirl marks out, and the wax only lasts a couple of weeks at best. I just got tired of waxing it all the time, so I put one last coat of wax on in September and haven't done anything since. I just wash it every week or two to get the salt off.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Key to swirls is prevention. Only hand wash the car. Claybar it on occasion. Do everything as non-abrasively as possible.

A single coat of Zaino or Mequiar's is good for 4-6 months. What were you using? Some junk like turtlewax or something?

·
Registered
986 Posts
I hand washed the Rav for two years and still got swirl marks, although many of them were already there when I got it. I did all sorts of prevention and nothing worked. Now I live in an apartment where I can't handwash my Rav, so I take it to a self-service car wash down the street. The Rav's paint is very soft so it scratches easily, and my Rav is black so it doesn't have a clearcoat and shows the swirl marks more easily than lighter colors.

An orbital buffer would take out the swirl marks, but I would probably strip off the paint if I used one, so I leave that to the professionals.

B

·
0 Posts
Jeff,
No clearcoat? Really? The way to verify is a little intrusive, but if you take some sandpaper and sand down the finish do you get white or black dust? Black = no clearcoat, white =clearcoat.

Now, as far as rust and salt and washing...the best thing you can do for any vehicle in winter is to wash it every week...especially underneath. I was at the carwash the other day and I was just amazed at the people who only washed the topside of the vehicle...I'll spend more time under the thing than on the parts that show...

I've never been a fan of those aftermarket rustproofing treatments...maybe they've gotten better, but I remember a few years back, they would just plug up the drain holes that existed in the car with waxy goo...

Zaino...yeah, I've heard really good things about that...meaning to try it...I've used Meguiars in the past and been really happy with the resuts...

Bogatyr

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't go near a buffer myself.

'05 black RAVs not have clearcoat either? Have to order a different blend of Zaino for non-clearcoated cars.

The few google results that are turned up say Clearcoat monotone paint is an exterior feature.

·
Registered
682 Posts
No problems with an orbital buffer. I've used it on all our Toyotas without any probs. Only thing is that you might have to polish your car 2 or 3 times with an orbital buffer to get all the scratches and swirls out. Just don't use a rotary buffer if you don't know how to...those are the nasty ones.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I don't know about the newer Ravs but I know mine doesn't have a clearcoat. I can tell everytime I use polish or scratch remover. It does make it somewhat easier to fix paint chips because you don't have to worry about fixing the clearcloat too.

When my Rav came out Toyota didn't use clearcoats over base colors such as black or white, and maybe one or two other colors such as red I think. They only used clearcoats on mixed colors and metallic/pearl finishes, and this went for most all of their vehicles. I'm not sure if Toyota started using clearcoats on all colors recently, so some colors still may not come with clear coats.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Are you serious? No clear coat? When i used to do car washing/detailing the only cars i saw without clear coat were the older cars that had lost their clear coat over time or due to neglect from owners. Every other car i've come across has had clear coat.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Jeff, you really should consider using Zaino. I mean, it's really good and should help cover up those swirl marks of yours. You can't even tell there's any swirl marks on mine and I know there are after I first clayed the Rav. Plus, it does last months and not a few weeks like Meguiar's or Zymoil so you won't get as tired having to wax and polish once a month or so form stuff that doesn't last. Really, try it and if it doesn't work, you're welcome to come down to sunny Cal and punch me in the gut. 8)

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info on the Zaino Wax.

I will try it this summer.

I have the Met. Silver so I guess I will be getting the Z-2 Show Car Polish

As for the rust proofing. There are a few types. I was going to go with the Clear Wax type which Toyota was offering but decided to stick with black oil texture one.

On the subject of rust proofing. When my friend bought his Mercedes they told him not to have any rust proofing done or the(rust) warranty would be void.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The amount of salt they have to put on the roads is incredable.
This year they are using a new type. Much finer.
It gets rid of the black ice and saves many lives.

In Toronto during the first 3 hours of a snow storm we get at least 200 accedents, after that a few hundred more.

Shame many people listen to the Car dealers who tell them
"All season tires is all you need"
Not the case in Canada and northern states.

B

·
0 Posts
mionee67,
What is that new type of salt? DOT here has been testing a new type of something...can't recall...something more liquid, but it stays on the road for a few days...

Yeah, where we live, I'd say snow tires are a must...well, maybe not a must, but the vehicle just feels so much more secure when the snows are on...

Bogatyr

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Yeah, they completely switched over to the liquid stuff this year in Dayton. No more getting sandblasted on the roads by the kicked up salt from cars next to and ahead of you.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was watching a news report on it.

They were just saying that it is a finer type of salt. They use the same trucks to desperse it and re-trained there employes on how to use it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts