Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
They are also using the "liquid stuff" on the roads in Oregon, where I drive quite a bit. Oregon is using magnesium chloride.

More can be read here ---> http://www.saltinstitute.org/anti-icing.html (Links at bottom of that page to individual states :D )

IMHO... the stuff works GREAT :!: No more rock chips from the sand/gravel they used to use. 8)

·
Registered
880 Posts
nouse4aname said:
I've always looked at rust proofing as a waste of money/dealer scam. But I know it's popular up there in Canada.
I am impressed with the undercoating from the factory on the Rav4, by this time the frame on my 4 Runner was sheding big flakes of rusty metal and the rear diff housing had rused through. The only problem areas I see on the Rav4 are where the fenders are rolled and where the rocker panels are stamped together. During the winter I try to take the hose with hot water and flush out the fender edges as often as I can to get the acumulated salt out, a lot of stuff gets stuck nt here in a short time. Fortunatley most of the areas that suffer direct impacts from stones in the wheel well are covered in plastic.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yeah, those hot water high pressure hoses do a good job.

I do mine all year round. Even the accumilated dirt attracts moisture to be in constant contact with the metal.

·
Registered
986 Posts
The liquid you are referring to is salt brine (salt+water). They spray it on before the storm to keep the light snow from buidling up and forming ice.

When I was in college a few years back the grounds crews started using a similar type of ice treatment that was sprayed on the campus sidewalks at the start of winter. It lasted a month or two and then they would apply more of it. It worked pretty well at keeping ice from building up, and it didn't need to be applied before every storm for it to work. The college used a few Bobcats with tank sprayers to apply the liquid.

Up here in NH they just started using the brine on the roads this year. They still however use salt and sand on top of it...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Man :roll: You guys sound like me 30 years ago :roll: That was with my first Pinto :roll: Now I just get full service with Hotwax :lol:

21 - 25 of 25 Posts