Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have rust on your chassis door step along the door opening where the Rubber Door Seal contacts the metal and also on the seat mount and nut?

Recently I sold my OEM’s tires to a couple that had purchased a used 2001 Rav identical to mine.
To my amazement there was rust along the step in the door opening where the Rubber seal touches the Body where water flows down the seal and sits there. :shock: My guess is that the previous owner did not wash in those critical winter months like was discussed my other thread and the salt water just sits there.

This made me paranoid and so after it rains open the doors and wipe it down. Also I when cleaning I pop the plastic foot grips and clean the area with a rag and rust protector. I may even shoot that rust protector product in the 3 holes but I want to ask the my Rust proofing guys first if there is some conflict with there product.

As for my Drivers seat mount and nut, well last winter that got rusted up which I was unhappy about. :x
I will have to get my Dremel out and do some fixing before winter rolls around and then grease it up.

·
Registered
986 Posts
No rust on the door frame for me, however the left front bolt on my driver's seat rusted pretty bad, and some of the rust has stained the carpet. However, this summer I sanded down the bolt and mounting bracket, primed it with auto primer, and painted it with auto paint. So far the paint has held up well, however the carpet is still stained with rust. I don't care too much about the carpet, because I have damage in other spots, and will replace it eventually.

The snow/slush/salt tends to build up on the carpet during the winter, which helped contribute to the rust on the seat bracket. The salt also stained the carpet where it's not covered by the floor mat. I thought about getting Husky floor liners like the cargo liner I have in the back, but the carpet is messed up enough already.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts