Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new RAV4 Limited in July of 2015, and notice many tiny rust spots on the back liftgate. Just wondering if this is a common problem with this model/year. I live in Alberta, and the model was made in Ontario. I had a 2002 model for years and never had any similar problem although eventually there was rust at the bottom of the door. Lots of salt on the roads this winter which likely did not help the situation.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
probably just surface rust caused by brake dust or rail dust...

you can use a product like CarPro Iron-X (or any fallout cleaner) to get rid of the dust, and then a light clay bar or paint cleaner will remove visible spots.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I agree with Octane. Likely it's iron particles ON the paint rather than actual chips IN the paint. But without pics it's hard to tell.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your responses. Yes...it was iron oxide particles or fallout on the paint itself. I had a closer look and found out they rub off with some cleaner.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I park in an area that is relatively close to a railway, and I can share in the experience of seeing all these tiny spots on my car. I recently ordered some of the CarPro Iron-X spray, I cleaned the whole car off (till the paint felt super smooth to the touch), sprayed it, and woah, did not think there would be that much iron. Nearly the whole car turned purple, but the paint definitely looks very nice afterwards, even if the spots weren't noticeable to start.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I park in an area that is relatively close to a railway, and I can share in the experience of seeing all these tiny spots on my car. I recently ordered some of the CarPro Iron-X spray, I cleaned the whole car off (till the paint felt super smooth to the touch), sprayed it, and woah, did not think there would be that much iron. Nearly the whole car turned purple, but the paint definitely looks very nice afterwards, even if the spots weren't noticeable to start.
I detailed a lot of cars over the years, and I'm still surprised sometimes on how much contamination there is on the paint (even after a claybar). Neighbors always give me a weird look when they see this sea of purple water in my driveway :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts