Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, when I check there might be a leak underneath the car, I saw (see pic below), could anyone pls tell me what this is and is it bad or the safety of the car should be concerned? My car is 2015 rav 4 limited version.

Thank you,

Linda

Attachments

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Just an exhaust heat shield. Nothing to worry about. If it comes loose on that side, you can add a stainless steel band clamp to keep it in place, or just pull it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Linda W

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just an exhaust heat shield. Nothing to worry about. If it comes loose on that side, you can add a stainless steel band clamp to keep it in place, or just pull it off.

thank you for your reply, very much appreciated. Is it normal the parts so rusty and corrosive for 7 yrs old car? I commute on highway 400 km each week, and very worried about about the conditions of my car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The rust in your photo looks to be from the exhaust pipe and heat shield, and pretty normal for a northern car exposed to salt and chemical treatments. To minimize corrosion on body and frame it's important to wash away salt/chems from the underbody, especially in the spring. I use a garden sprinkler under the car with a rope to clean the underbody. Also wash bottom inside of doors/hatch and rocker panels with soap and water. I have a 2015 as well. I think these cars are average to better than average for corrosion resistance. You could look into a corrosion resistant spray like fluid film to coat the underbody once or twice a year, but unless you have a fairly strong air compressor to DIY it will be costly (paying a shop to do it or DIY with $10 cans).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rust in your photo looks to be from the exhaust pipe and heat shield, and pretty normal for a northern car exposed to salt and chemical treatments. To minimize corrosion on body and frame it's important to wash away salt/chems from the underbody, especially in the spring. I use a garden sprinkler under the car with a rope to clean the underbody. Also wash bottom inside of doors/hatch and rocker panels with soap and water. I have a 2015 as well. I think these cars are average to better than average for corrosion resistance. You could look into a corrosion resistant spray like fluid film to coat the underbody once or twice a year, but unless you have a fairly strong air compressor to DIY it will be costly (paying a shop to do it or DIY with $10 cans).
thank you for the information.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
thank you for your reply, very much appreciated. Is it normal the parts so rusty and corrosive for 7 yrs old car? I commute on highway 400 km each week, and very worried about about the conditions of my car.
Yup, that’s normal. Overall these hold up pretty well, but there’s never any rustproofing on exhaust parts. What part of our fair and salty country are you in ? Usually you can get Krown or Oil Guard or Rust Check services done annually or every other year which should keep things under control for the body and some suspension parts. My 2012 is holding up well but showing some age especially behind the rear wheels under the floor. I suspect if you keep up on the underside washes without the rustproofing then you’ll be fine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did rust proof once, and yes, winter is brutal here in Canada, I live in Ontario. I am just surprised the level of the rust and corrosion on my car after 7 yrs, my car has 98,000 km given Toyota has 60 months of or first 60,000 miles warranty with corrosion or rust coverage, and underneath of hood, the engine part looks very rusty and corroded too.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Nothing surprising there

I'm in Quebec. It's normal.

As for your engine bay, if you never washed it, of course it will look like that.
Lol that’s exactly what I was going to say. Quick engine bath and should look like new

1 - 11 of 11 Posts