Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Rust

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Brad1 
#1 ·
Only 63000 miles on our 2004 Rav4 but rust will be the end of it at some point. I
recently replaced the gas tank that rotted out and now the fuel filler tube assembly.
We really love this car and will hang onto it as long as we can.

See less See more
#3 ·
When I was looking for a 2004 or 2005 Rav I was told that most in our area rusted and were shipped to Africa where there are no safety checks and they want Toyotas. I found one that had been well rust sprayed with the body in good condition. I have my vehicles Rustcheck or Krown rust sprayed yearly. Maritime Canada has salt air from the sea and lots of salt on the road. I still had to replace the filler pipe because the area got full of dirt.
Rod macKinnon

#6 ·
New this forum. If the rest of the undercarriage is still in fair shape, might I suggest covering it with Fluid Film. Though I just picked up a used Rav4 last week, I've been using Fluid Film on the underside of my vehicles for the past 13 yrs and I must say the result is amazing. It doesn't remove rust, but it prevents it. I have a 2005 Nissan Titan that I bought brand new. After the 2nd year that I owned it, I learned about fluid film. I applied it to the entire underside, inside the frame rails, inside the rocker panels. The undercarriage of that truck still looks like it did 13 years ago. It is messy, I won't deny that, but I hate rust and this stuff keeps it away. I did switch to Woolwax this past year. It's basically the same thing though. Just oder free, and a little thicker. I had been applying fluid film using the spray cans, and this past year, I bought the professional woolwax gun with wands and switched to woolwax.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.