Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2015 Rav4 in March.....should I get it undercoated as I live in WNY and the salt does much damage.....I was told by my salesman that I shouldn't get it done as it could gunk up my computers......others have told me that its OK....what do I do???

·
Registered
26 Posts
Living in Michigan I've undercoated every vehicle worth that extra expense...including the wife's 2013 Rav. I keep vehicles for usually 10 years...or until I pass on to the kids...rust free. Choose the undercoating process of your choice...our local installer uses a (similar) fluid film type product that gets refreshed every year.
The comment your salesman made is crazy...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would not do it now as it is too late. If you would have had it done when new before you drove it in the Winter, that would have been the time to do it.
If anything, take it and have it oil coated underneath.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Living in Michigan I've undercoated every vehicle worth that extra expense...including the wife's 2013 Rav. I keep vehicles for usually 10 years...or until I pass on to the kids...rust free. Choose the undercoating process of your choice...our local installer uses a (similar) fluid film type product that gets refreshed every year.
The comment your salesman made is crazy...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny how my salesman got demoted after he sold me my RAV4......Im sure he didn't know what he was talking about....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was told that it was done at the factory.....I bought it in March so I couldn't have done it when it was new.....its a 2015.....I think Rustaway is an oil treatment for undercoating.....

·
Registered
414 Posts
I would definitely do it

Wait until next year at this point though so the product can seep everywhere in the heat. Get it done on a warm sunny week.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I live in Clarence New York......not too many warm sunny weeks coming up......and we already have salt on the roads....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was told by my salesman that I shouldn't get it done as it could gunk up my computers......others have told me that its OK....what do I do???
Do not get the 'rubberized' undercoating such as Ziebart. It will destroy your car, as it will eventually hold salt and moisture against the metal body. That will definitely gunk up a lot of things.

Krown and Fluid Film and similar oil-spray products will not have this problem.

If you park in a garage, definitely get the oil spray type, immediately. Otherwise your car will be dripping salt water every day. If you park outdoors, you could wait for Spring, as the rusting process virtually stands still in temperatures below freezing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts