Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
That shouldn't really be exposed. You need to get some center caps. Meanwhile, you can grease it or spray it with WD40.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Covering the hub with a "hub" cap is the best solution. If that is unavailable then I suggest spraying the hub with Fluid Film. This stuff is amazing and will still be present when spring rolls around again. If you are in Canada this product is available in Canadian Tire.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Same here. It may be a really long time before that nut needs to come off, so I was thinking about painting the exposed threads or covering it with a layer of "liquid electrical tape". If I could get weatherproof caps cheap from Amazon, that would be great too.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Trailer wheels have a galvanized end cap...to protect that area from water.
- try TSC, probably only a few bucks in the axle section / need to check diameters, to see if fit
- and get some Fluid Film, when your there...stuff is awesome
- wheel nuts should be sprayed too / plus door hinges, etc.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've been looking for dust caps for my wifes winter rims,not having any luck at all.I can't even find any Toyota used center caps,and I refuse to pay $50 each for new ones.

·
Registered
115 Posts
There is no problem with that portion of the hub being exposed. It is only the threads on the end of the CV Joint (Axle). The bearing are pressed in and are sealed to the weather so no water or anything else is getting in at them anyway. If you are concerned only because of the look then yes, spray them with Fluid Film or Rust Check (or whatever you have in your neck of the woods). WD40 does nothing as it does nothing as it is to thin and would not hold on with the spinning of the wheel.

·
Registered
36 Posts
its no problem with this rusting, other than looks.

when that nut is going of we take a wire brush and scrape most of the rust off
then we take an impact wrench to turn the nut of. i have never had one of these nuts beeing to stuck to get off

you could probably spraypaint the area acctually, since the nut will clear the threads when u take it out....

else i would reccomand getting the covers that fits over, looks a little better in my opinion (even though they can be a pain in the ass to get off...)

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
This being the 3rd winter with steelies and snow tires on my RAV, the ends of my axles are badly rusted.
As stated before, it's only cosmetic. It does not affect the operation of the vehicle in any way. If you think the axle ends look bad, don't ever go under your car to look at suspension parts, muffler, fuel and brake line clamps, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts