Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From doing a search, I have read the different threads and the opinions on rustproofing, pro and con. So, I hope that I am not boring folks by asking in regard to my 2016 Hybrid Limited. Yes, here in Pa., depending on the severity of the winters, a considerable amount of chemicals are used on the roads. We plan on keeping our RAV4 for a long time, at least for over 100,000 miles plus. I plan to use the hand-held pressure washer at the car wash to remove as much of the salt/chemicals as possible during the winter weather. And, I am aware that the metal on the cars today go through a phosphate bath, supposedly, and I understand that more galvanized parts are used than years ago. I don't know how the Toyota stacks up against other manufacturers as far as parts not rusting out, but with my 2002 Subaru, the frame rusted out underneath at 65,000 miles so badly that it would not pass inspection and it had not been rustproofed. They wanted $1750 to replace the parts. I decided to trade it along with a Lincoln to buy the RAV4. The dealer was aware of the rust. I am not one to do any rustproofing myself, and the dealer wants $300. I realize that it would have to be done before winter, it has only 310 miles on it now. I suppose that $300 is worth it now rather than a couple thousand later to replace parts?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Is it worth $300 to make you feel better? But if I was going to spend money on that I'd go to a pro and skip the dealer's amateur job.
That said, there must be thousands of Rav4 in your area of all ages, do you see any of them with rust?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
with my part time detailing job I see lots of cars, and some 2-3 year old already have rust on the panels, inside the door seals, and a lot of hidden places, not just under the car. I never had any rust on mine, and I have a oil based rustproofing done every 2 years (cost about 100$)

I does drip a bit, but it does go everywhere inside the panels, unlike the no drip coating some places apply.

Reactions: Win262 and pico

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would agree that if you decide to do it, take it to a professional shop. The dealer definately has neither the tools, quality of materials, nor experience compared to someone whose primary business is doing that type of work.

·
Registered
241 Posts
A salesperson might try to pitch you those services when you're buying a new car, but don't bite. Today's new cars have much better corrosion protection than cars of the past. Serious rust problems have almost vanished in modern vehicles during their first 10 years.~ from Consumers Report

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your replies.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Northern examples, to support proper oil spraying techniques & product:
This is what proper oil spray undercoating looks like, on a 13 year old 2002 Volvo v70, with 297,000 Km. / still perfect floors and unibody frame, passed Government safety check last year with zero issues.

And this 1989 Pathfinder, at 17 years old with 335,000 Km.

^^ I'm from S/W Ontario, Canada's rust belt.
- my old used vehicles, still have rust free quarters & door bottoms
- still with solid frames & floor pans

I like DuraShield / Rustproofing the best, its a wax-oil product - similar to Fluid Film.
- I avoid Krown & Rust Check now / stuff washes off wheel wells, after a months time...probably a water based product.

Wife's 2008 RAV4 v6 gets wax-oil sprayed every fall & so does my mint 2000 4Runner SR5.
- door corners on T4R are still rust free & no moisture & rust separation, on folded sheet metal lips
I never go to the dealers !!

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
with my part time detailing job I see lots of cars, and some 2-3 year old already have rust on the panels, inside the door seals, and a lot of hidden places, not just under the car. I never had any rust on mine, and I have a oil based rustproofing done every 2 years (cost about 100$)

I does drip a bit, but it does go everywhere inside the panels, unlike the no drip coating some places apply.
Where do you get it done?I used to go to Métropolitain but now just use Canadian Tire every 18 months

·
Registered
65 Posts
Had my 2010 Rav rustproofed by the dealership when I bought it new. Can't say I was that impressed with the end product. Just traded the car for a 2016 Rav4 XLE. Took it straight from the dealership to Krownrust! Will do that every year or so. What I should have done with the 2010. We live and learn.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Had my 2010 Rav rustproofed by the dealership when I bought it new. Can't say I was that impressed with the end product. Just traded the car for a 2016 Rav4 XLE. Took it straight from the dealership to Krownrust! Will do that every year or so. What I should have done with the 2010. We live and learn.
dealer rustproofing is just where is easy to access or visible to the customer, it only takes them 15 minutes to do! and the warranty they give you with it is full of fine print and limitations! on my 2007 I made the mistake to get it done at the dealer, when I did all my trailer wiring and noticed there was only about 5% of the panels that was protected, same thing for the doors... a real joke! I use Known also!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Where do you get it done?I used to go to Métropolitain but now just use Canadian Tire every 18 months
I go to the Krown in Hull.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts