Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was setting up Safety Connect for my wife's 2019 RAV4. SOS. accident assistance, stolen vehicle - it all sounded nice, then I got to the data collection disclaimer, which said I approved Toyota continually tracking details of the vehicle use, including, location, speed, acceleration, etc., etc. and for Toyota to retain this data for up to 20 years and to share it with partners and where else as may be required.

Are they nuts? What does the data collection have to do with the promised features, other than the biggest possible intrusion into our privacy. And to top it off, when you get to the point of reading the disclosure, the website no longer provides a means to reject the service, its going to take effect in 15 days...unless you contact Toyota to be excluded.. So i emailed Toyota over last weekend and await a response.

Have other owners signed up for Safety Connect? Do you know the scope and length of the data Toyota is grabbing? Someone like Google will be buying Toyota just to get access to such a data trove.

·
Premium Member
7,321 Posts
It's been discussed before, I'd suggest you use the search feature, but it's terrible, supposedly Admin is working on an advanced search feature, but it's still not available after 3 months waiting. Best advice it opt out, that's what others have been doing.

·
Premium Member
7,321 Posts
Here's one of the discussions on it.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
So I was setting up Safety Connect for my wife's 2019 RAV4. SOS. accident assistance, stolen vehicle - it all sounded nice, then I got to the data collection disclaimer, which said I approved Toyota continually tracking details of the vehicle use, including, location, speed, acceleration, etc., etc. and for Toyota to retain this data for up to 20 years and to share it with partners and where else as may be required.
The truth is that they are collecting data regardless, they're just asking for permission to sell it or share it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
My concern isn’t that they’re collecting all that data or that anyone at Toyota will pay one iota of attention to MY data. They’re using data collectively from thousands of owners to help with the run up to autonomous vehicles.

The one thing that bothers me if I’m overthinking it is if law enforcement or attorneys could get hold of my data while investigating an accident of some kind and try to pin the blame on me. But in that case they would also have my smartphone data, data from my car insurance app that monitors my driving habits, and probably more.

I don’t like it but I’m not going to opt out because the odds of that happening are very remote. And I have a personal umbrella liability insurance policy as a contingency.

Unless we’re willing to live off the grid entirely, there’s no avoiding this issue. Even if you opt out, the vehicle probably has a “black box” data recorder that logs everything that was happening right before a collision.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Are they nuts? What does the data collection have to do with the promised features, other than the biggest possible intrusion into our privacy. And to top it off, when you get to the point of reading the disclosure, the website no longer provides a means to reject the service, its going to take effect in 15 days...unless you contact Toyota to be excluded.. So i emailed Toyota over last weekend and await a response.

Have other owners signed up for Safety Connect? Do you know the scope and length of the data Toyota is grabbing? Someone like Google will be buying Toyota just to get access to such a data trove.

What really irks me is that like a lot of stuff today, you have to OPT PUT. Things like this you should always have to OPT IN. I'm still deciding if I want to opt out. It's just the principle of the thing

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sadly, these day, any smart device is collecting data on you all the time. And now that includes our cars. It’s a nightmare the 4th should have prevented but that’s another discussion.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My 2014 Q50's nannies communicated back to the Mothership using its built-in G2. When all G2 service was dropped I didn't have the hardware upgraded. My mothership was GONE.

If we don't want to wait until G3 is dropped, we need to find out how to immobilize communications back to mothership without compromising anything else.

·
Registered
362 Posts
What really irks me is that like a lot of stuff today, you have to OPT PUT. Things like this you should always have to OPT IN. I'm still deciding if I want to opt out. It's just the principle of the thing

It was a opt-in experience for me but no fine print before you get the PDF copy after signing up. Hard to say no for safety stuff lol, but may cancel.

·
Registered
411 Posts
It was a opt-in experience for me but no fine print before you get the PDF copy after signing up. Hard to say no for safety stuff lol, but may cancel.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Benjamin Franklin

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m less concerned about data collection than I am about someone hacking into their private network and installing ransomware that could shut all of our engines down.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I’m less concerned about data collection than I am about someone hacking into their private network and installing ransomware that could shut all of our engines down.
Well, I guess that’s a big positive that in Canada we don’t have remote connect. Assuming of course that the Canadian DCMs don’t have those hooks into the car for those abilities of course.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am also concerned that they are using my precious wireless data when I connect my phone to the system. How else is the data supposed to reach Toyota from the car unless it is from your phones data or house WiFi connections? I have seen increased data usage since I got my RAV4 and had to shut off all phone data when in the car.

·
Premium Member
7,321 Posts
I am also concerned that they are using my precious wireless data when I connect my phone to the system. How else is the data supposed to reach Toyota from the car unless it is from your phones data or house WiFi connections? I have seen increased data usage since I got my RAV4 and had to shut off all phone data when in the car.
Data transmission is made by cellular networks through the DCM (Data Communication Module), this is explained in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Data transmission is made by cellular networks through the DCM (Data Communication Module), this is explained in the owner's manual.
That is correct. I tested this a couple days ago by powering off my cell phone and then pushing the SOS button. It connected to the Safety Connect services and i spoke with a live agent. I asked if my vehicle was already enrolled in the program and she said no it is not. After some discussion, she also said she would "un-link" my vehicle from their services to which i replied, Great.

Well my SOS light is still green and this signifies "active" status, so yesterday i pushed it again and spoke with another agent. She advised that it could take upto 48 hours for all services to terminate.

For those who have called to OPT out of safety connect, has your SOS led turned red or became inactive? Something tells me that it will always remain activate whether you are enrolled or not and this will give you access to either emergency services or speak to a live agent regardless.

I will check later today or tomorrow to see if the LED status has changed but something tells me we are going to have to do more like finding and pulling the DCM fuse if there is one hopefully without ill effects OR finding the cell antenna input/output and disconnecting that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts