Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings,

We have a '96 RAV4 and the right rear wheel trailing arm bracket has broken. This looks very bad (see pics) because the bracket is part of the frame. Fortunately, it came apart in our driveway and not on the highway!

Does anyone have any ideas about welding on a new bracket, or any type of "creative" welding repair?

I found this stock Toyota part (#15), which is listed as being for our model year.

We live on a 1 mile dirt road with a lot of potholes. My guess is that it failed due to a worn out bushing and the bracket metal being too thin by design, coupled with daily travel over the potholes. I'm also guessing that the worn out rear struts contributed to the failure.

thanks,
JC

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi. Did you ever find a solution to your snapped bracket? Had the same issue on my rav today! It looks easy enough to weld on a new one but not sure wether it would be strong enough to last.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am still trying to line up a welder who can come out to our driveway here in our remote rural location, so as to avoid an expensive tow. I'm going to call another prospect today. I did find out that the official Toyota replacement part is no longer available (which would also need welded on of course). The two welders I've talked to said they could fabricate something. One idea was to use heavy-guage metal washers. As for strength, I really don't know the answer to that, except that a good welding job would probably return the bracket to the same strength as the original. The question is, is the underlying metal at the base of the existing bracket still intact and strong – I guess we'll find out when the crud is removed.

I'll post more when I've made progress.

·
Super Moderator
9,784 Posts
I'm afraid you'll need to have it towed to a fully equipped welding & fabrication shop to have it repaired with any confidence in its safety. At the very least I suspect it'll take several trips for parts & tools. The job will also involve an investigation of other weak areas to see if doing any work at all is advisable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like the welding job will be attempted within a few days... I'll update on the outcome.

·
Registered
21 Posts
cool ty
did you have any popping noises before it let go??
I have one here that is a 2000 and I have a weird popping noise in the pass rear..
it is coming and going....
super weird!!
new dif isolators, new shocks.
bearings are ok.
the bushings bolts are froze....
thinking induction heater to get them to give....
so I can inspect the bolts and bushing sleeves.

the alignment guy could not get them loose...
so they are on the list!!

I did manage to find the brake issue on this unit!!
darn twisted caliper in the ps front!!
lol
I have real brakes now!!
that was even at Toyota for that issue!!
I replaced a bad brake booster as well and super adjusted the rods for spot on perfect.
keep in touch!!
I might be doing the same thing!! lol!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
our car had noises for years... this broken bracket is a wake-up call to investigate noises on these old cars!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
yea the bolts are froze they were going to adjust the rear alignment last fall..
I found the rear diff isolators rubbers were shot..
and the shocks were making way too much noise.
4 sets of those later (oreillys) I think I found an ok set of shocks..
yea the rear suspension noise is the last of the issues right now.
glad to have taken the time for the client to look close at the brakes!!
this unit looks real good under it!!
not ate out yet!!
I tried to pry a bit with big pars to see any movement..
it all looked ok at first glance..
when it stops raining again I will be back in to it this week..

I need to spend the bucks for one of the induction bolt heaters..
they are on the list of things to buy...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had to go back to the cheapo's
stock shocks
Monroe OE Spectrum Shock Absorber Part #: 37199 Line: MON
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/oe-spectrum-4330/shocks-struts-16482/shock-strut-12872/75de62e0ee1b/monroe-oe-spectrum-shock-absorber/37199/4467547/2000/toyota/rav4?q=shock/strut&pos=18
60.00 each
they were under warranty...
another shop had put them on, they were broke inside or the nut let go on the piston inside.
not sure how monroe builds them.. if they use loctite or if they spot weld them on the rod to the piston..
they were rattling inside..
not good!! lol!
trying to keep the ride good for highway.
it is mostly used for iowa highway snow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts