Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a very long post but I wanted to include all pertinent material. Please read and comment.
We were notified that our 2021 RAV4 XLE Premium had arrived at the dealership. We picked it up on December 30th.

My husband checked the tire pressure after we got home. All 4 tires had 45 lbs. pressure. He reset all tires to 35 which is the recommended pressure.

As I was going through the paperwork we got from the dealer, I noticed that the New Vehicle Delivery Checklist form was completely blank. I then called the salesman and asked about the blank form and whether our vehicle had been checked out. I told him that we were concerned that our vehicle had not had the proper pre-delivery inspection (based on the tire pressure not being set correctly and the blank New Vehicle Delivery Checklist.

He immediately told me that their service department did an extensive check and they kept the paperwork. He remarked that it was way above and beyond what was on the New Vehicle Delivery Checklist. He said he would get a copy of the completed form from the service department and text it to me.

After a few days I had not received the copy he promised me so I called him again to inquire about it. He said he had forgotten and would get the checklist to me that day. I did receive a copy of the New Vehicle Delivery Checklist dated December 30 all filled out with the salesman and my husband’s signature. However, it was not my husband’s signature! Someone has forged his signature. Additionally, this was the exact form that I had called about initially and he had said that a more comprehensive checklist had been filled out instead.

I called him again (see a pattern here?). I asked about the New Vehicle Delivery Checklist form having been forged and that I still had not received a copy of the comprehensive checklist. He stuttered and stammered a bit and finally said that someone else filled it out and must have signed on my husband’s behalf. He also said he would get with the service department for their checklist and would text it to me. It has been a few days and I have not received it.

It is apparent to me that:
1). The New Vehicle Delivery Checklist was not completed before we picked up our vehicle.
2). A comprehensive checklist (or any checklist for that matter) was never filled out by the Service Department.
3). The salesman filled out the New Vehicle Delivery Checklist after the fact and forged my husband’s signature.
4). The salesman must have thought we had lower than average IQ and would not notice that the form was forged and would forget about wanting a copy of the comprehensive checklist so I would have a record of the items checked by their service department before we picked up the vehicle.
5). The salesman blatantly lied to us.

At this stage in the game, I don’t know if I am making a mountain out of a molehill or if I should go further in my endeavours.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Sorry, why having the New Vehicle Check List so important to you.......Sorry it's not a hill die for in my books. If the vehicle is working fine, how long will it take your husband to go through the check list himself if you are concerned about the vehicle health.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Mine also came with 45 lbs. tire pressure and no checklist. No big deal. BUT forging a signature might be considered a crime. That should not be let go. I would go right to the owner of the dealership and not waste my time on anyone below that.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Dealer name?

RAISE HELL.

Post this on EVERY form of social media that you are on. Send to the BBB in your area.

·
Registered
2021 Hybrid LE
147 Posts
Mine also came with 45 lbs. tire pressure and no checklist. No big deal. BUT forging a signature might be considered a crime. That should not be let go. I would go right to the owner of the dealership and not waste my time on anyone below that.
Very much this. Salesmen lying is something I assume as soon as I walk into the dealership. He could have just said they lost the list or whatever, even if the truth is that it was never filled in because they rushed PDI. But forged signature is a whole different level of bad and I don't think the dealership will take it lightly.

For the car itself, I'd at least check all the fluid levels.

·
Registered
150 Posts
On my last several purchases with Toyotas and Hondas there was evidence that the pre-delivery checklist wasn't performed. On the Toyota, tires were at 50 psi. On Honda there were body plugs in the console that should have been installed on the undercarriage. In some cases the checklist was signed off and in others I wasn't even given one. It's all a shame because I believe that the manufacturer pays the dealer to perform the pre-delivery inspection. Just another case of cutting corners.

When dealers talk I listen as little as possible and try to work off of official documents. Once I buy a new car the goal is only to return to the dealer for warranty work. Sometimes the experiences are good but most often it's upsells and saying all the right things to get a good survey result. I've played back dash cam footage and I'd rather have my car serviced at a place where their reputation counts. Dealer experience is hit and miss more often miss though.

Sure your dealer forged and you could make a big deal and probably get a lot of explaining away and maybe a free service.

·
Registered
449 Posts
It's all a shame because I believe that the manufacturer pays the dealer to perform the pre-delivery inspection.
I think the buyer actually ends up paying for it as part of the delivery and destination fee on the sticker. Even bigger slap in the face.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I know this is a very long post but I wanted to include all pertinent material. Please read and comment.
We were notified that our 2021 RAV4 XLE Premium had arrived at the dealership. We picked it up on December 30th.

My husband checked the tire pressure after we got home. All 4 tires had 45 lbs. pressure. He reset all tires to 35 which is the recommended pressure.

As I was going through the paperwork we got from the dealer, I noticed that the New Vehicle Delivery Checklist form was completely blank. I then called the salesman and asked about the blank form and whether our vehicle had been checked out. I told him that we were concerned that our vehicle had not had the proper pre-delivery inspection (based on the tire pressure not being set correctly and the blank New Vehicle Delivery Checklist.

He immediately told me that their service department did an extensive check and they kept the paperwork. He remarked that it was way above and beyond what was on the New Vehicle Delivery Checklist. He said he would get a copy of the completed form from the service department and text it to me.

After a few days I had not received the copy he promised me so I called him again to inquire about it. He said he had forgotten and would get the checklist to me that day. I did receive a copy of the New Vehicle Delivery Checklist dated December 30 all filled out with the salesman and my husband’s signature. However, it was not my husband’s signature! Someone has forged his signature. Additionally, this was the exact form that I had called about initially and he had said that a more comprehensive checklist had been filled out instead.

I called him again (see a pattern here?). I asked about the New Vehicle Delivery Checklist form having been forged and that I still had not received a copy of the comprehensive checklist. He stuttered and stammered a bit and finally said that someone else filled it out and must have signed on my husband’s behalf. He also said he would get with the service department for their checklist and would text it to me. It has been a few days and I have not received it.

1). The New Vehicle Delivery Checklist was not completed before we picked up our vehicle.
2). A comprehensive checklist (or any checklist for that matter) was never filled out by the Service Department.
3). The salesman filled out the New Vehicle Delivery Checklist after the fact and forged my husband’s signature.
4). The salesman must have thought we had lower than average IQ and would not notice that the form was forged and would forget about wanting a copy of the comprehensive checklist so I would have a record of the items checked by their service department before we picked up the vehicle.

At this stage in the game, I don’t know if I am making a mountain out of a molehill or if I should go further in my endeavours.

Thoughts?
Frankly, in this new world customer service has disappeared. Their are no consequences for doing a poor job since their are not people to replace them. Your on your own in this current day. The reason for the high tire pressure is counter intuitive. The factory does it to prevent leaks. The high pressure seals the tire to the rim (wheel).

·
Registered
537 Posts
Frankly, in this new world customer service has disappeared. Their are no consequences for doing a poor job since their are not people to replace them. Your on your own in this current day. The reason for the high tire pressure is counter intuitive. The factory does it to prevent leaks. The high pressure seals the tire to the rim (wheel).
No it's done for strapping down the tires on the car hauler.

Predelivery checks are a scam anyway, it's wash the car, take the plastic off the seats, hood etc, and in theory set the tire air pressure but that last one is almost always ignored.

It's a fee you can make them remove because it's for nothing.

·
Registered
992 Posts
The PSI on door jamb is the "recommended" psi for comfort. You just never want to EXCEED the PSI that's listed on the tire sidewall.

I like my tires at 38psi vs recommended 33psi.

OP should:
*leave 1start Yelp & Googlemaps review.
*contact Corporate Toyota.
*demand refund of the delivery/set-up fees in cash/check.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Post the blank pre delivery check list. The ones I have seen don't have the person who buys the car just the Salesman and Service Manager signatures.

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
Generally, forging a signature is a criminal act especially when other misrepresentation also is involved. Could be a factor if a court case arises about the purchase transaction or a subsequent problem with the vehicle.
Our RAV4 was sourced by the selling dealer from another dealer. Dealer checklist was completed but the vehicle obviously had not been checked or properly prepared for sale. No customer signature was provided for on the form. Tires were at 50 psi (pressure used by factory for shipping), I lowered to 40 psi for driving on our twisty mountain roads, also recommended by the dealer I finally used as for servicing. Side windows were coated with some sort of material which affected clarity which I had to scrub off with SoftScrub. I had checked fluid levels when we took delivery - all were OK, but I don't trust dealers out of personal experience. There were three paint chip problems which I complained about when I had contacted the selling dealer, two hour drive distant, and I also complained about the lack of pre-sale preparation despite the completed pre-sale checklist. Selling dealer apologized and said that they had assumed that the dealer they obtained the vehicle from had done their job, also sent Toyota touch-up paint for me to DIY the chips, that was OK. Otherwise, no problems with the RAV4 in the 10 years we have owned it so I have not raised the inspection issue further.

·
Super Moderator
11,804 Posts
Except for the tire pressure being high which apparently isn't unusual, the only step they skipped was having the girl in the office check off all the boxes. So, IMO, blank or all the boxes checked, the piece of paper actually means the same thing - nothing.

• Haha
Reactions: NameofUser and KenD

·
Registered
19 Posts
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'd just just move on. No doubt it would tick me off when I first discovered it, but the circumstances are just kind of silly. An idiot salesperson forging the signature of the buyer on pre-delivery checklist and then hands it over to the buyer assuming they won't see or care... It's just so stupid (on their part). And also pretty inconsequential. I think now that you've let them know you caught them, you move on. I don't think you're going to get anything worthwhile out of going further with this.

Life's too short to spend any extra time on the phone (or god forbid in person) with the car dealership jerksquad.

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD Blizzard Pearl
667 Posts

Thoughts?
Sorry that you had a bad experience with your dealer. While the PDI is important, as others have said it is probably not worth your time and frustration pursuing it further. Most salespeople lie to make a sale, and lie some more once they have your money to get you off their case so they can make more money on someone else. Thankfully it sounds like you caught the tire pressure before it became possible trouble.

Several of the PDI items were not performed on my 2020 when I purchased it brand new, but I just Googled the PDI and did the few items myself that were not done. Granted my dealer was almost 4 hours from my house so it was also in my best interest time-wise. It was right when the pandemic kinda hit full swing and no one was going anywhere, buying anything or doing anything, so I got a crazy deal on it way below sticker price. I just chalked up the lack of a fully completed PDI as part of my discount. ;)

You could always phone Toyota's corporate hotline and just pass along your experience with the dealership to their customer "experience" team. I'm not sure if anything will come of it but at least it is documented on some computer in some basement in some corner of the world.

Best of luck with your new Rav4!

·
Registered
593 Posts
That would really tick me off. But at the end of the day you have to ask yourself "what are my damages?" and "what can be gained?" I am not an attorney but this seems to me like a minor criminal case with no real damages to the victim and no civil suit case at all. Enough pressure on the dealership could possibly convince them to give you some service or credit to go away. If you have the time and energy getting a written acknowledgement that the checklist was not performed and signature was forged could make warrantee claims (or slightly beyond warranty claims) go easier. But as others have mentioned there is probably not a lot to be gained. If you want to help others reviewing the dealership would probably be your best course.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts