Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Salesman lied to us and forged paperwork

8K views 62 replies 25 participants last post by  Dr. Dyno 
#1 ·
I know this is a very long post but I wanted to include all pertinent material. Please read and comment.
We were notified that our 2021 RAV4 XLE Premium had arrived at the dealership. We picked it up on December 30th.

My husband checked the tire pressure after we got home. All 4 tires had 45 lbs. pressure. He reset all tires to 35 which is the recommended pressure.

As I was going through the paperwork we got from the dealer, I noticed that the New Vehicle Delivery Checklist form was completely blank. I then called the salesman and asked about the blank form and whether our vehicle had been checked out. I told him that we were concerned that our vehicle had not had the proper pre-delivery inspection (based on the tire pressure not being set correctly and the blank New Vehicle Delivery Checklist.

He immediately told me that their service department did an extensive check and they kept the paperwork. He remarked that it was way above and beyond what was on the New Vehicle Delivery Checklist. He said he would get a copy of the completed form from the service department and text it to me.

After a few days I had not received the copy he promised me so I called him again to inquire about it. He said he had forgotten and would get the checklist to me that day. I did receive a copy of the New Vehicle Delivery Checklist dated December 30 all filled out with the salesman and my husband’s signature. However, it was not my husband’s signature! Someone has forged his signature. Additionally, this was the exact form that I had called about initially and he had said that a more comprehensive checklist had been filled out instead.

I called him again (see a pattern here?). I asked about the New Vehicle Delivery Checklist form having been forged and that I still had not received a copy of the comprehensive checklist. He stuttered and stammered a bit and finally said that someone else filled it out and must have signed on my husband’s behalf. He also said he would get with the service department for their checklist and would text it to me. It has been a few days and I have not received it.

It is apparent to me that:
1). The New Vehicle Delivery Checklist was not completed before we picked up our vehicle.
2). A comprehensive checklist (or any checklist for that matter) was never filled out by the Service Department.
3). The salesman filled out the New Vehicle Delivery Checklist after the fact and forged my husband’s signature.
4). The salesman must have thought we had lower than average IQ and would not notice that the form was forged and would forget about wanting a copy of the comprehensive checklist so I would have a record of the items checked by their service department before we picked up the vehicle.
5). The salesman blatantly lied to us.

At this stage in the game, I don’t know if I am making a mountain out of a molehill or if I should go further in my endeavours.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#47 · (Edited)
I wish crap like this didn’t happen. When we bought our ‘19 a couple of years ago, the “head sales” guy was brought in during negotiations when I kept pushing for a fair deal. This dude introduced himself as John Smith, and proceeded to me to lie to me through his teeth. Rather than buy my leased trade in, they wanted to cut me a check for the few remaining months so I could turn it in at the agreed on date. I said that’s great, but I want the trade in so I can save on sales tax (purchase minus trade in, that’s the amount you’re taxed on). He knew that we were new to area, and said that’s not how it works in this state. I nearly flipped but remained cool. I said bring that form back out here, and put it side by side with that offer, and tell me the tax isn’t different. He did! And he DOUBLED DOWN saying the office must have made a mistake!!! I said give me my keys, we’re done. They chased me out to the parking lot and gave me the deal I wanted.

Fast forward a couple of years, and I wanted to trade in the ‘19 for a ‘21 Hybrid. They had the model I wanted in stock but I had no intention of buying from them. I stopped by to see what they were actually charging todays $2k in extra bogus dealer add ons, and an additional $2k market adjustment. Dealer fee $300 higher than other dealers. $300 in bull crap mandatory “perks” (theft insurance, etc). The same guy comes out to meet me and gives a completely different name.

Moral of the story? Money is all that matters. Spend it where you think they’ve earned it. Never go back, and use another place. I go 40 minutes out of the way to use another dealer that earned my trust. Leave poor reviews, complain to the right sources, and move on. That office can’t be trusted especially on future service matters in my opinion.

I went scorched earth on a lemon vehicle ten years ago, even hired an attorney when the manufacturer held my car for six weeks during final repair attempt. They said they could not replicate the problem after six weeks in the shop after initially trying to repair 3 times. After I lawyered up they offered me a settlement. I’m the end I would have broke even had I just traded the thing in and moved on, and boy that sucked. Drive more, worry less. One alone can’t fix it : ( In the end market forces won out and that manufacturer no longer makes cars in our market lol, but I digress.

#50 ·
The pre delivery checklist is not a big deal and likely done by the wash boy. I know because I was said wash boy 30 years ago at a GM dealership.

The tires are assembled to the wheels by a third party and delivered JIT - so them being way off is not surprising. Unless the factory missed something everything else is likely fine but you should really check yourself - with or without the checklist - if you want it done right anyway.

Forgery is a serious crime no one will do anything about. If you were going to take it up in civil proceedings you would need to show a loss? Welcome to 2022.

Have you contacted management? If they take is seriously then you can be confident continuing to go there. If they offer you a free oil change and blow it off, then you have your answer.

#53 ·
The pre-delivery checklist is not a big deal and likely done by the wash boy. I know because I was said wash boy 30 years ago at a GM dealership.
Since then I think the girl in the office has gotten promoted to doing that to avoid possible wet paperwork.

#51 · (Edited by Moderator)
PatsNotaGeek
Registered

Joined Jul 29, 2019
535 Posts

#48 · 16 h ago

meeder said:
It doesn't matter what kind of form it is. A forged signature is a forged signature.
Not really
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So a lie is NOT a lie?!?!?!?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.