Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

This is a great forum / website, and I'm very happy to have found it!

I'm driving a silver 2001 Rav4 with auto transmission. I got the car brand-new in Sept 2001, it was actually a company car that the company leased for me. At the time, I was pretty sure that I was going to get something different when the lease was up, so although I was excited about a new Rav4, I wasn't going to get too attached to it.

Four years later, the lease was up and that 'deal' I had with work was over (no more 'free' wheels) so I had to make a decision. I have to admit I've had my eyes on a Prius for about 18 months, but this past winter reminded me how much I loved the Rav. If finances would have allowed it, I would have got myself an 05 Rav with the manual transmission, but things haven't worked out the way i'd intended this year. So I ended up buying out my 2001 when the lease expired.

And in fact I think I got a pretty good deal on it. For a 'used' car, I got the exact colour and features I wanted. It only had 44,000 Km's on it. All the proper maintenance stuff was up-to-date. "Only one careful driver, non-smoker." The buy-out on the lease was lower than the book value.

Although it's the same car I've been driving for 4 years, I've found the new-car-excitement has returned, as well as pride-of-ownership.

Rather than just a fun & convenient way to get around, this is now my Rav, and I'm now much more interested in its well-being.

Rather than just trusting the mechanics to do everything (which got me burned - that's another long story!) I'm reading everything I can about servicing it and what needs to be done and what needs to be watched. Not saying I will do it myself, but I will at least know how to ensure it's done right, when I pay someone else to do it. I've picked up the Haynes manual, and of course been reading everything I can here and on other sites, so I know what's what.

Finaly, now that it's my car, I'm also getting interested in what tinkering I can do, what I can mess with, to make it truly unique and mine. I've already done some stuff inside, installed a 2-way (ham) radio and a GPS. I'd like to do some 'performance' stuff, like maybe a CAI. I'd also like to add maybe a nudge bar and a trailer hitch, or something to beef-up the back end and protect it a bit more from damage.

-Stephanie, from Canada

·
Registered
279 Posts
Salutations and welcome to the forum!. Hope you'll add some pics soon of your rav and the gps and ham radio installations.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey, Stephanie...

Glad to hear that you bought off the Rav4 and it's officially yours. 8)
This is a great site to learn more about your vehicle. Definitely some informative ppl here. I know I learned quite a bit too.

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7986

Thread about Front A-Bars...maybe you can check it out and really customize your Rav4 and make the front-end sturdy too, as well as rear.

Welcome to the site.

Rav4Guy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts