Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad is going to San Francisco in a couple of weeks for a medical conference. Any things he should know, see or do in particular?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Well, for sure he must see the Golden Gate Bridge. I mean what else is more iconic of SF than that? Then of course he can visit some of the city's museums at Golden Gate Park. Probably also check of SF's China town and Japan Town. Fisherman's Wharf is another tourist spot and maybe Lombard Street which is another landmark for being the crookedest street. The night life is great just watch where you walk cause there are alot of wierdos there at night. :p

·
Registered
875 Posts
ghirardelli = if he likes chocolate or icecream.
marina green = if he wants to fly a kite, jog or take a stroll.
japantown = for good food
union square = good shopping and nice street scene
northbeach = for italian food and bakeries, keep him away from here b/c it's also near the redlight district.
ocean beach = big beach.
BEACH CHALET = restaurant
PARK CHALET = great place to bring his coworkers, employees, employer, clients for dessert or a drink. Great athmosphere. This one's a must. http://www.beachchalet.com/

T

·
0 Posts
zoomie, I just realize those cool neon light pictures you have is from disney concert hall... yesterday I went there (yes first time)... it was amazing. did you had to go there at midnight to take those picture? there's no parking at where you took those pictures.

·
Registered
875 Posts
ultima16888: Hahah, glad you enjoy the photos. Yes, it IS the disney concert hall. Since I was an architecture major, I figured I should probably take a picture of that ugly thing....I mean, the beautiful disney concert hall. In all seriousness, the inside is elegant and if you know enough about Frank Gehry, you'd respect him even though his bldgs look hidiously organic at first. As for how I took the pics?....I snuck into the parking lot and drove up the ramp to the very top floor just across from the concert hall. No security guards in sight and no one seemed to care that I didn't pay for parking. I hope you had a great time in Los Angeles. The apt down the street just beyond the freeway/street overpass is where the Italian Job (mini cooper film) movie was filmed. Remember the part where the coopers get trapped and it has to launch itself up a ramp. Thats it!

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Mohit said:
My dad is going to San Francisco in a couple of weeks for a medical conference. Any things he should know, see or do in particular?
I'm not from San Fran. either but if tours are open and still available, and he is interested in historic sites, Alcatraz is a definite must see.... I've been there and it's definitely something to see and you will remember...

·
Registered
875 Posts
Historic sites eh?

Then you'll want to visit Coit Tower...which I believe you can still access. Alcatraz has history, but Treasure Island has more. That's where my greatgrandfather was interagated. You can still see scribbles of poems and stuff on the walls. If the tour is still available, you'll see the original bunk beds and dark closet-like rooms that punished people were kept. It's pretty awakening. There used to be a museum about the Chinese Holocaust, or Rape of Nanking. Maritime museum may be a good place to stop too. I think there's a cablecar museum somewhere too.

·
Registered
191 Posts
de Young

The New $202 million M. H. de Young Museum in Golden Gate Park is a Must See! I went to the all night grand opening celebration this past weekend and had a awesome time!

Ravon~* 8)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
*gasp* RAVon, i'm so jealous!!! I have a friend at work whose son was one of the contractors and Ed (my friend) went to see that place when it was being built.

Hey zoomie, i'm trying to finish that major too. Will talk about that in the rally :D.

Oh, as to the Mohit question (sorry, didn't mean to get carried away), i went to the japanese garden and i totally loved it. I really felt as if i were in Japan for a moment, hehe. If your dad stays there for a weekend, he should check it out before 9am on sunday, and he'll get there for free... unless they changed that cuz i went there a year ago :?. Oh, one more place to check out s the Exploratorium... that was very cool too, if your dad is into science.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Musemum

Hi garfieldgurl,

One of my favorite things to do on a Sunday is bike ride through Golden Gate Park. The major streets that run through the park are closed to all traffic. One of those streets passes the museum. So I was able to witness the museum being torn down and built back up over the pass several years.

The building has caused some controversy with neighbors and San Franciscans. I feel they did a wonderful job blending it in with the surroundings. With the ocean air and the exterior made of copper will age quickly and look natural with its environment.

I'm curious to know what your Contractor friend and/or Architect think about the design?

Ravon~* 8)

·
Registered
875 Posts
it doesn't take an architect-in-training fresh out of school from a 5yr professional degree to say that the galleries were a pretty radical move. Most art critics are pretty particular about the lighting that gets into the galleries and would have a fit if someone were to suggest putting a window in a gallery. (You'll mostly see skylights to get the even indirect light). Fong and Chan Achitects whom I used to work for and Herzog and de Meuron who headed the project put windows in the galleries! You'll probably never see this in other art museums. Personally I htink it was a great move. People get bored of art and a window is a must. Plus, it's important that a building relates to its environment and allows it's occupants to see and realize where they are (rather than getting so absorbed into the art and thinking they're just in a box).

One interesting thing is the color of the tiles in the restrooms! It's green! Maybe I'm looking too deep into it, but I think they were trying to bring the natural color back into the modern building.

I think the use and experience in a building is more important than how it looks from the outside, so whether it's copper, steel or wood, I really dont' care. The space of De Young is impressive b/c there are a variety of types of rooms. Different ceiling designs, different shapes. Balconies are always a good thing. Being able to see people and be seen is also a plus. There's also a viewing deck from the second floor that overlooks the center of the park and it's pretty darn amazing.

I wish the entry into the building was more extravagant however.

·
Registered
191 Posts
What Constitutes?

I agree with you on several levels and totally respect your opinion.

quote: "it's important that a building relates to its environment and allows it's occupants to see and realize where they are (rather than getting so absorbed into the art and thinking they're just in a box)"

The building is "impressive" but your statements are contradicting.

quote: "I think the use and experience in a building is more important than how it looks from the outside, so whether it's copper, steel or wood, I really dont' care"

Im surprised at the lack of concern on how the building looks from the outside. It's obvious you don't live in the neighborhood or a true San Franciscan at heart. Yes, "open plan" interior space plays a significant role but, architecture needs to blend in organically with the surrounding landscape without harm. Making landscape more beautiful than it was before. That's also what constitutes a good building.

As far as being "radical"

This style of "organic architecture" has been around forever. The last thing anyone wants to see is an ugly block of concrete 4 stories above the Golden Gate Park tree line.

Ravon~* 8)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Re: What Constitutes?

RAVon said:
Im surprised at the lack of concern on how the building looks from the outside. It's obvious you don't live in the neighborhood or a true San Franciscan at heart. Yes, "open plan" interior space plays a significant role but, architecture needs to blend in organically with the surrounding landscape without harm. Making landscape more beautiful than it was before. That's also what constitutes a good building.

As far as being "radical"

This style of "organic architecture" has been around forever. The last thing anyone wants to see is an ugly block of concrete 4 stories above the Golden Gate Park tree line.

Ravon~* 8)
Perhaps I chose the wrong words to express my feelings on the outside appearance of the building. The reason I said that I don't care is b/c whether it is built this way or that way, some people will love it while others will dread it. I trust that the architects would not build something that is "an ugly block of concrete 4 stories above the Golden Gate Park tree line."

Use and functionality however is less arguable and most people would be able to appreciate space that is a bit more dynamic that that "block of concrete" you had refered to.

When I refered to the buliding as "radical" I had meant to respond specifically to the windows that appear in the gallery. The Guggenheim Museum is also quite radical. Instead of being ridiculed for the blgd's appearance, Frank Lloyd Wright was ridiculed for displaying artwork on a sloped surface. Some argued that paintings were not meant to be viewed from the angle a visitor would be forced to see it while climbing the slopes of the ramp at the Guggenheim.

There had also been an argument for sometime about whether or no to include a parking lot in the park. While some thought it to be obvious since we are in an urban environment driven by cars and by allow cars into the park, it would generate visitors from farther away, others hated the idea of having an onsite parking lot simply b/c they woud like to promote pedestrian walkways over an automobile commute. I guess the compromise was to have it underground.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks every one. My dad came back from SF a couple of weeks ago...he had a blast. He didn't see many celebs apart from Leslie Neilsen.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Room with a View

Hey zoomie, I guess a little of the San Franciscan passion for drama has rubbed off on me in regards to my "block of concrete" comment. I finally got over to the de Young museum during the day and saw an entirely different look from the midnight celebration. Still very impressive. I was able to see the luxurious materials and intentional landscaping you were talking about. The courtyard and gardens are an extension of the park. I also made sure, I was there before 4pm to enjoy the view from the much-maligned twisted tower.

From the observation deck, you see the reason for the tower's torque, which aligns the top floor with San Francisco's street grid.

The view is spectacular. :D

Ravon~* 8)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts