Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I want to put that SAT button on my wife's 2010 Rav4's factory head unit to use! What hardware do I need? Is there something from Toyota that is optimal? Or should I grab one of those self-contained, plug into the cig lighter and AUX input thingies? (I assume the sound quality will be better if I go the route of the stock head unit's SAT button...?
I'm pretty skilled with installation, so that part doesn't worry me, unless there are tricks about the stock head unit I need to know...
Oh, and this is the cheaper non-JBL head unit.
Thanks in advance!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,718 Posts
To make that SAT button work you would need the XM tuner and RAV4 fit kit. The Toyota part numbers are 86180-0W032 and PT546-42090 respectively. An Ebay search shows the tuner available for around $160:

2012 2013 Scion iQ OEM TOYOTA YXM RADIO RECEIVER BASE 86180-0W032 | eBay

Searching for the fit kit on Google shows various Toyota dealers selling it for about $115:

PT546-42090 - Genuine Toyota XM Satellite Radio Fit Kit

Or you could do like me and replace the entire head unit with one that has the XM built in. Look for the XM logo on the front panel above the SAT button. This one is going for $115:

TOYOTA Rav4 AM FM Sirius Satellite Radio Multi Disc Changer MP3 CD Player A51879 | eBay

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh wow, there's a guy about an hour from me who is selling that stock head unit with the XM logo for $50! That would be my best bet huh? Then all I'd need to do is get a subscription? Do I need an antenna?

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,718 Posts

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
It looks exactly like this...

My '11 RAV has that same unit installed as OEM but during the new car trial period we could tune only about six satellite stations. After the trial period expired I did not renew the subscription.. It will be interesting to know how well your reception works after you install your unit. Please let us know.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,718 Posts
My '11 RAV has that same unit installed as OEM but during the new car trial period we could tune only about six satellite stations. After the trial period expired I did not renew the subscription.. It will be interesting to know how well your reception works after you install your unit. Please let us know.
When they first activate it, you only have 6 presets on SAT1. But after an hour or so, magically SAT2 and SAT3 start working for a total of 18 presets. But by rotating the TUNE knob you should get a lot more than 6 stations. Mine goes up past the 200's.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
When they first activate it, you only have 6 presets on SAT1. But after an hour or so, magically SAT2 and SAT3 start working for a total of 18 presets. But by rotating the TUNE knob you should get a lot more than 6 stations. Mine goes up past the 200's.
Your reception is great compared with what we had! We drove quite a lot and my wife experimented with reception including the FM bands and using the Tune knob, but with little result. Part of our problem is that many of our roads are surrounded with high coniferous forest and others go through river canyons, so it would seem that we lose satellite contact quite a lot. Instead I make MP3 CDs which will play for hours in the unit. Unfortunately the unit won't read MP3 DVDs, on which I can get up to 13 hours of music each!.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts