Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks...

I'd like to know what opinions and/or experiences that people have with respect to placing satellite radio antennas on the rooftops of RAV4s. In particular, I'd like to know how others have routed their antenna to their receivers inside the RAV4.

Right now, I plan to place my antenna on the front portion of my roof, either dead centre or slightly to the driver's side, and then hide the wires beneath the seals of the windshield, but I haven't yet decided how to route the wire inside. Most likely, I'll be lazy and stretch it across the seals of the driver side door. :lol:

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
986 Posts
When I had my Delphi SkyFi a few years back, I used the included magnetic antenna and mounted it on the roof near the back door. I never really installed it "permanently", so I just ran the wire over the rear door seal and shut the door. Then I eventually ran the wire behind the inside door trim and under the carpet to the front (initially I just had it running loose on top of the carpet).

I don't like magnetic antennas because they tend to scuff up the paint, however I never kept the XM long enough to bother getting a better antenna. I buffed out most of the scuffs on the roof when I removed the antenna, but you can still barely see them a little.

If there are such things, I would opt for an antenna that either mounts to the roof rack or the glass instead of on the paint.

·
Registered
422 Posts
You can kinda see mine in a couple of my gallery pics, primarily the 4th pic in the 1st row, and the 1st pic in the 2nd row. The wire is run under the windshield trim. Although I would've preferred a more symmetrical install and I thought it would annoy me where it is, it's really quite small and I rarely even notice that it's there.

Ricky on the other hand has his centered at the back of his 4Runner. Since his is a standalone portable unit and wasn't integrated with his stereo (it's a Sirius Sportster), he did what installing there was himself. He ran the antenna wire under the trim/carpet/panels as needed and then along the inside of the opening for his tailgate and out the top. 4Runner tailgates open upwards, but I don't think the Rav's tailgate would interfere with the wire either. If you're ambitious and don't mind going through the process of hiding wires, I think this placement would be more ideal than mine.

As an aside, my satellite unit itself is actually under my driver's seat (it's an add-on to my existing Kenwood stereo and was too big to fit conveniently behind the dash).

Becky

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hi Becky,

This question might sound funny especially from a guy but, where did you get those BRA?....how much did spend for them?....I really like them!

OK guys....stop laughing what I meant was the Cover Bra for the RAV.....just to make it clear...... :lol:

Thanks!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Becky J. said:
You can kinda see mine in a couple of my gallery pics, primarily the 4th pic in the 1st row, and the 1st pic in the 2nd row. The wire is run under the windshield trim. Although I would've preferred a more symmetrical install and I thought it would annoy me where it is, it's really quite small and I rarely even notice that it's there.

Ricky on the other hand has his centered at the back of his 4Runner. Since his is a standalone portable unit and wasn't integrated with his stereo (it's a Sirius Sportster), he did what installing there was himself. He ran the antenna wire under the trim/carpet/panels as needed and then along the inside of the opening for his tailgate and out the top. 4Runner tailgates open upwards, but I don't think the RAV's tailgate would interfere with the wire either. If you're ambitious and don't mind going through the process of hiding wires, I think this placement would be more ideal than mine.

As an aside, my satellite unit itself is actually under my driver's seat (it's an add-on to my existing Kenwood stereo and was too big to fit conveniently behind the dash).

Becky
Becky, thank you for your tip. I took a look at your antenna placement, and that is sort of what I had in mind... sort of looks like a GM OnStar antenna. :p However, the problem is that I just cannot seem to "squish" my antenna wire in the windshield trim without it coming off all the time. :roll: Oh well, I would still like to put in close to the front in order avoid interfernece from anything I put on the roof rack, but I currently have it on the back of my roof, just above the tailgate. I don't have a permanent placement for my antenna, while I figure out how to run the wire under the windshield trim without having it come off all the time. :( Also, may I ask how you routed your wire to your satellite radio receiver? ...through a firewall grommet or simply across a side door seal?

I'm aiming towards installing my antenna in the same manner as Ricky with his 4Runner.

BTW, just for the records, I'm using a Delphi Roady XT plug-and-play XM receiver. Boy, those antennas are smaller than I expected! I think it is about an inch wide. Whoa, I remember those old-school XM and Sirius antennas that are as big as baseballs!

·
Registered
422 Posts
It seems that I lost this thread for almost a month. :roll: Sorry I'm so late in replying.

The bra is an OEM one from my local dealer and cost a bit over $100. For the small price difference, the OEM bras fit much better than the "LeBra" type at auto parts stores.

I honestly don't know the exact route for my satellite radio wires since I had it installed instead of doing it myself. I know the guy said they put the antenna where they did because it was easiest to get the wire tucked under the windshield trim on the A pillar, and there was some problem with running it under the trim along the top. I haven't had a problem with it coming out, so I think it's in there for good. The wire does enter the vehicle through the firewall, not the door trim.

Becky

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Becky J. said:
I honestly don't know the exact route for my satellite radio wires since I had it installed instead of doing it myself. I know the guy said they put the antenna where they did because it was easiest to get the wire tucked under the windshield trim on the A pillar, and there was some problem with running it under the trim along the top. I haven't had a problem with it coming out, so I think it's in there for good. The wire does enter the vehicle through the firewall, not the door trim.Becky
Thanks for the info. :) As much as I wanted to put the antenna close to where you put yours, I ended up putting it on the roof near the tailgate - frankly, for the sake of convenience. I slipped the wire under the interior side of the rubber seal and ran it to the floor, where I slipped the wire under the carpet and under the right-side door trim. The wire then runs under the passenger seat, along the centre console, then meets the receiver dock on the dashboard. It looks like a rudimentary setup, but I think I'm happy with it for now. I might one day move the antenna to the front side of the roof and then run the wire through the firewall, but that would make the antenna difficult to move to a different vehicle in case I decide to use it in a different vehicle for a road trip.

The one change that I want to make is to move the actual receiver from the centre vents to a different part of the dash - most likely the right-centre "gray" trim just to the right of the climate control.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I simply placed my antenna on the rear top just above and centered between the roof rack. Wire came inside and i pushed it behind the moldings at the windows and continued forward and ran it along the windshield top. You cannot see the wire from the windshield back not a trace of it it hides very well under all the trims above the windows and pillars.. Best reception..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts