Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my Sirius Radio (suction mount on the windshield) and I have it powered by the 12v socket in the front and the sound through the aux input in the center console. i get a high pitched noise, which varies depending on whether or not i am accelerating. how can this be avoided? Also, how easy is it to power the radio without using the 12v socket...considering i have NO electrical experience. thanks!!

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
schwartzy1 said:
Just installed my Sirius Radio (suction mount on the windshield) and I have it powered by the 12v socket in the front and the sound through the aux input in the center console. i get a high pitched noise, which varies depending on whether or not i am accelerating. how can this be avoided? Also, how easy is it to power the radio without using the 12v socket...considering i have NO electrical experience. thanks!!
Check out my Album for my XM install. You should get a stereo shop to hard wire it like I did. Does your Sirius radio have the built in wireless FM Modulator? It may cost you $100-$150 to get this done, but it will be much cleaner and they can fix your sound issues. :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My sirius radio has a wireless FM transmitter (not sure if that is what you meant). Will messing with the wires void the warranty on the car? I just need to find a place for power, i dont mind having the cord running out of the console for the aux input (since thats where i get the best sound)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just looking through the rav manual and saw that there is a fuse right above the floor on the drivers side, under the dashboard. How can i connect my sat. radio to it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Alternator Filter

To filter the noise from the DC outlets is best by targeting from the source. If I am not mistaking, but the noise is from the alternator. Placing a filter between the battery and alternator will probably be a good idea. I have not experimented with this but here is link for a filter:

http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=99967&eventPage=1

I am also going to give Toyota Service Dept at my local dealer a call and see what their opinion is.

-Sidney

C

·
0 Posts
I noticed this in the manual before I had my XM Roady2 installed but it states if you use the aux plug and the cig. power plug then there may be noise. I just had my XM unit installed today and he hard wired mine somewhere inside the dash, ran the antenna wire and a wire from the AUX connector and mounted the unit all for $50 and it took only an hour for him to install it. It was very worth it and I have no noise or hiss whatsoever. Also I had hooked it up myself by just hanging the antenna out the window the other day before I had it professionaly installed and it sounded like crap via the built in FM modulator and sounds really good coming from the aux jack. I was going to do all of this myself like I had done in my previous 05 RAV because I actually work in the electronics field but I figured $50 was well worth it to save me the time and hassle. I'm lazy :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had purchased that XM2go walkman thing when I first got my Rav4. I hooked it up to the AUX port and it sounded okay. Volume wasn't tremendously loud but it was clear.... Until I plugged in the Cigarette lighter power cord. I got an unbelievable amount of hissing through the speakers. When I popped the power off all was normal.

Long story short I hated that walkman so I went to BestBuy and had them professionally install the works just like cusack did. Now everything is perfect. Sound is crystal clear and loud :D

C

·
0 Posts
Well your not the first person who has made a comment about hissing noise when using the cig. plug and aux jack. The owners manual even states there "may be noise" when doing this. You would figure that since Toyota knows about this then they would have done something about it to fix the problem. Anyways, glad yours is doing well now.
I thought about mounting my Roady2 where you have your unit located but I didn't want to try to have to look down at it while changing the stations and trying to drive so mine is mounted to the Air Conditioning vent right above the stereo.

S

·
0 Posts
schwartzy1 said:
Well I went and exchanged my cheap Xpress for an expensive Myfi and I still got the high ptched noice using the AUX with the power hardwired, it doesn't matter if you use the 12V plug or not. The stereo guys had to use a couple filters and a special cable to get it right. :D

C

·
0 Posts
That's really strange. I wonder if it's not a stereo problem? My stereo had to replaced with a brand new one right after I bought my new Rav4 because it had major audio dropouts every few seconds. I have the inexpensive Roady2 which is hardwired and is also plugged into the AUX port and I have NO noise at all, it sounds just as clear as when I was using it through the cassette player on my previous Rav4 that I traded. :?

S

·
0 Posts
Well my Myfi sounds really good now. After jumping through some hoops. The line out volume is still below the CD player though, so I have to turn it up more :D

C

·
0 Posts
Is their an audio output level adjustment on the myfi? My Roady2 is actually the opposite and is louder than the cd volume but I have the audio output level adjusted all the way to 9 which is as high as it goes.

S

·
0 Posts
Yes, it is cranked all the way up. Still much lower than the CD. Do you have the JBL system? :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just a though, but maybe if you tried a different aux cable. One with a thickeer gauge possibly...(i could be talking out my a**, but its the only idea i had)

S

·
0 Posts
schwartzy1 said:
just a though, but maybe if you tried a different aux cable. One with a thickeer gauge possibly...(i could be talking out my a**, but its the only idea i had)
I have a very high end aux cable on it now. They had to use that at Stereo King and a couple of filters just to get rid of the high piched noise. Unfortunately it doesn't help with the volume difference. But on a brighter note, the JBL system is smart enough that when I switch between AUX and CD it changes the volume to what is appropriate or what it was set to last. I run the AUX and about 45 and the CD at about 35. I don't have to worry about blowing myself out of the car when switching back to CD from AUX :D

C

·
0 Posts
I don't have the JBL upgrade but instead have the basic 6 disc stock stereo. The part number that is on the front of the unit is 11812.
Actually, this is made by JBL also....at least that is what my dealer told me since my stereo already had to be replaced.
Anyways, thats really weird about your volume level because mine is much more louder than the cd volume and I actually have to turn the volume up on the cd when I switch over.

·
Registered
29 Posts
High Pitched Screaming Noise

No one has addressed part of the original question. " i get a high pitched noise, which varies depending on whether or not i am accelerating. how can this be avoided? " I also get this high pitched SCREAMING noise which seems to be at it's worst at around 40-50 mph and goes away if I get off the gas. Anyone out there get this very LOUD and annoying noise fixed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
you forget that search is your friend. So is waranty repair!

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12482&highlight=

Subject: AU004-07 / Noise from Auxiliary Port with External Device / 08-10-07
TSB Number: T-SB-0067-08 (replaced AU004-07)
Bulletin Title: NOISE FROM AUXILIARY PORT WITH EXTERNAL DEVICE
Release Date: My 21, 2008
Applicable Year(s): 2006 - 2008
File Size: 472 kb
Download: http://www.RAV4World.com/tsb/2007/TSB-0067-08.pdf

Description: Some customers may notice noise in the auxiliary mode of the radio when using an MP3 player or other external audio source connected to the 12V power port of the vehicle. An improved auxiliary port and in-line filter has been developed to improve this condition. Use the repair procedure to install the new in-line filter and auxiliary port.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R4W Comments:
The information contained in this TSB supersedes TSB No. AU004-07.
• Applicability has been updated to include 2008 model year RAV4.
• Parts Information has been updated to include a clarifying illustration.

In other words... Toyota warranty free installation of inline filter removes the ground loop feedback noise when using either the 12V jack in console or the one by the gearshift!!!

Search is your friend... knowing the keywords to search for is the challnge of course. Good luck

1 - 20 of 30 Posts