Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our 2001 RAV4 L since 6/01 but tonight we had to say goodbye. Due to growing daughters( now teenagers), more frequent sports trips requiring more hauling space, and a 75-pound Boxer dog, we decided it was time to for more space and quieter ride and decided on a Honda Pilot EX w/Leather.

I have to say the RAV served us very well these past 4 years. After going through the usual early model nagging problems that are well documented on the forum, the RAV never let us down and still runs as smooth as it did on day one. The Pilot also has a hide-away 3rd row seat for a totl seating capacity of 7. The kicker was a 3300.00 discount from sticker.

In a nutshell, the RAV is a great "around town" car with great handling and road feel. However, it doesnt compare to the Pilot's (and it shouldnt - its not in the same class) ride, cabin quietness or the power of the Honda 255 hp v6. Cruising at 70 mph in the rav became quite annoying for trips over 1 hour. The lack of sound insulation and high revving engine were the culprits. The poor radio just couldnt keep up.

I'm member #323 until today. Kelly - delete my gallery please. I want to thank Kelly and all who make this site the most informative auto site out there. If there is a problem, someone here has the answer, and believe me I used this site religiously. Also, thanks to the people that contribute to this site. You are a great group and wonderful to chat with.

By the way, I am selling the cargo mat, cargo cover and the original 5 spoke L package alloys as well as a set of Blizzak tires on Toyota steel wheels. The OE tires and wheels have less than 1000 miles on them and are pristine. The Blizzaks I would estimate have 4 winters left in them and do have some rust around the welds due to salt on Wisconsin roads but still look very respectable. The covers are tan/beige. Anyone interested please email me at [email protected] The covers can be shipped but those interested in the tire sets should be in Minnesota, Wisconsin or Northern Illinois. Are you hearing me, Becky???

Regards and drive safely,

Dan Dahl
Appleton, Wisconsin, USA

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Dan Dahl said:
I'm member #323 until today. Kelly - delete my gallery please.
Sorry to see you go Dan... but I do understand needing a LARGER rig. Plus as you said... car companies are really offering some great deals right now.

Teenage daughters? You should have kept the RAV4 for them to drive :D

How about we keep your page in the Gallery open... for "memories" sake 8)
http://rav4world.com/gallery/gallery3text/f323.html
Plus your RAV4 photos are GREAT referance shots for wood dash, wheels and seat covers 8)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok with me to keep the gallery open. As for the girls driving, they are still 3 years away plus I needed the down payment for the Pilot. It would have been a great car for a kid to learn to drive.

I'll be around here now and then. I want to see the '06. Should be an exciting time for this site when that baby hits the streets.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I listed my car in the local area paper for 14, 900 and got ZERO calls! I got trade quotes between 11,000 and 12, 500. After the 11,000 quote I walked out and told the Honda dealership no less than 12, 500. The next day he called and agreed to the 12, 500, which was at the top end for a trade. I was disappointed that I couldnt sell it for a couple grand more but with all the domestic mfr discounting going on its bringing down the whole market. GM is selling 2004 trailblazers for 18 grand on some factory units with 12000 miles on it. The dealer will probably list my rav at about 15 000 and get 13,500. If the Pilot wasnt discounted 3300 i would not have done it. Like I said it was time to move on but Ill be around to see the '06 debate.

Cheers
Dan

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't think anybody can ever leave the RAVworld once introduced to it. Kelly will probably have to kick me out of here...

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your Pilot......

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: RAV

postman said:
You can't be kicked out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Your RAV4 icon can't be deleted :roll:

Really? That is good to know. Now I can go POSTAL here and not worry about anything. THANX POSTMAN !

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts

RAV4EVR said:
postman said:
You can't be kicked out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Your RAV4 icon can't be deleted :roll:
Really? That is good to know. Now I can go POSTAL here and not worry about anything. THANX POSTMAN !
Trust me... anyone going POSTAL on here will either be banned or edited/deleted :roll: 8)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Dan Dahl said:
I listed my car in the local area paper for 14, 900 and got ZERO calls! I got trade quotes between 11,000 and 12, 500. After the 11,000 quote I walked out and told the Honda dealership no less than 12, 500. The next day he called and agreed to the 12, 500, which was at the top end for a trade. I was disappointed that I couldnt sell it for a couple grand more but with all the domestic mfr discounting going on its bringing down the whole market. GM is selling 2004 trailblazers for 18 grand on some factory units with 12000 miles on it. The dealer will probably list my RAV at about 15 000 and get 13,500. If the Pilot wasnt discounted 3300 i would not have done it. Like I said it was time to move on but Ill be around to see the '06 debate.

Cheers
Dan
We got our 2005 RAV4 new back in December for 18,500. Asking $15k for a 4 year old one was probably a bit much. Toyota resale is good, but not that good :)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Kelly Smith said:
RAV4EVR said:
postman said:
Trust me... anyone going POSTAL on here will either be banned or edited/deleted :roll: 8)

Postman... See u almost got me in trouble. I am never listening to u again.. !

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nouse4aname said:
Dan Dahl said:
I listed my car in the local area paper for 14, 900 and got ZERO calls! I got trade quotes between 11,000 and 12, 500. After the 11,000 quote I walked out and told the Honda dealership no less than 12, 500. The next day he called and agreed to the 12, 500, which was at the top end for a trade. I was disappointed that I couldnt sell it for a couple grand more but with all the domestic mfr discounting going on its bringing down the whole market. GM is selling 2004 trailblazers for 18 grand on some factory units with 12000 miles on it. The dealer will probably list my RAV at about 15 000 and get 13,500. If the Pilot wasnt discounted 3300 i would not have done it. Like I said it was time to move on but Ill be around to see the '06 debate.

Cheers
Dan
We got our 2005 RAV4 new back in December for 18,500. Asking $15k for a 4 year old one was probably a bit much. Toyota resale is good, but not that good :)
Considering a msrp of more than 24,000 and the few extras I added I thought it was worth it retail but not trade in. If you paid 18,500 you either got a base model, or front wheel drive but I cant see getting a 4wd L Auto for 18, 500.

If you did, it was a heck of a steal!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Dan Dahl said:
Considering a msrp of more than 24,000 and the few extras I added I thought it was worth it retail but not trade in. If you paid 18,500 you either got a base model, or front wheel drive but I cant see getting a 4wd L Auto for 18, 500.

If you did, it was a heck of a steal!
Yeah ours is FWD base auto. But the '05 has substantially more standard equipment and a bigger engine. Particular options don't matter as much on the used market.

Edmunds puts private party value right around 12,500. Trade in right around 11,000. So you ended up getting right around private party market value even though you traded in. Good job forcing the dealer into a great deal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts