Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love the RAV4! Love the forums!

I have always found answers here by searching through existing posts. This is my first post.

I bought my 2004 RAV4 from a Toyota dealership with 20k miles in 2005. I put 78k miles on it. Other than brakes, the only repair ever required was to refinish the solenoid contacts. Thanks to step-by-step instructions with photos posted by a member here, I was able to do that repair myself.

I planned to keep my 2004 RAV4 forever. Alas, it was totaled in a snow-related accident. I'm shopping for a replacement now and would like to hear what folks have to say about anything I should look out for in evaluating a used RAV4. Since I cannot spend any more than $10k, I'm looking at 2003 to maybe 2010.

Specifically, I'm wondering if I should avoid the 6-cylinder engine. Is it as reliable as the 4-cylinder? Does it use much more gas?

Should I pay the premium for low (i.e., under 50K miles) or is a RAV4 with @120k likely to just as good for the lower price it commands, since I don't put more than 10k miles in a year?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,584 Posts
The six cylinder is extremely reliable. Faults are few and far between. Some years had a batch of bad coils, some had a transmission whine, and water pumps that required replacement early. Overall they are reasonably bulletproof.

Read this:
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-...ns-perfectly-210k-if-aint-broke-dont-fix.html

Some (most) four cylinder 2.4l in '06-'08 models have a problem using large amounts of oil. A new engine in '09 stopped that.

V-6 miles per gallon in town will be less than the four banger but very close on the highway. It all depends where you live and how you drive.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts