Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gotten myself an early birthday present, and boy is it well worth it!

It is the Scan Gauge 3 in 1 Automotive Computer. Features a Scan Tool, Trip Computer, and Real Time Digital Gauges. Plugs into your OBDII plug and is ready to use out of the box.

Here's the cool things it can do:

You can check

* Fuel economy
* Fuel rate
* Battery voltage
* Coolant temperature
* Intake air temperature
* Engine speed ( RPM )
* Vehicle speed ( MPH )
* Manifold pressure ( not available on some vehicles )
* Engine load
* Throttle position
* Ignition timing
* Fuel open/closed loop

* Maximum speed
* Average speed
* Maximum coolant temperature
* Maximum RPM
* Driving time
* Driving distance
* Fuel used
* Trip fuel economy

* Reads trouble codes
* Reads conditions that set the Trouble Code
* Clears trouble codes
* Turns off " Check Engine " light
* Make & store up to 10 rewritable special codes to send to the vehicle computer

Here it is installed onto the dash of my RAV:

And showing the real-time readings. On the right is real-time water temperature and air-intake temperature readings:

And another cool feature, real-time MPG readings like the one I had on my BMW's trip computer:

Guys, this is a must have tool for your RAV. It can scan any diagnostic trouble codes and is able to clear the check engine light. Plus you can eliminate many multiple gauges that can clutter up your dash.

Many of you might want to know the temperature of the air in your intake to see whether your cold air intake is really getting cool air. This device will tell you in real-time. How cool is that. Just from the few days that I've had this on my car, I can tell that my intake air temp. begins with the outside air temperature (i.e. 86 degrees) and rises steadily to a max of about 105 degrees. I now have a diagnostic tool that I can fiddle around with my intake to see whether the mods. that I do to it has any real performance gains.

The best feature is that it is truly plug-and-play. Plug into the OBDII connector and you are ready to go. This has got to be one of the coolest toys I've gotten in awhile.
:thumbs_up:

For more info: http://www.scangauge.com/

http://3n1autocomputer.com/index.html

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Very cool Derek 8) I'm NOT thrilled with the LOOKS (styling + kinda LARGE) of the thing... but I REALLY do like all the functions it handles.

Ordering problem :( One site is OUT OF STOCK and the other site is ON VACATION and not accepting orders :roll: :doh:

PS -Happy Birthday Derek :cheers:

PSS - OK... just got back from doing some googling :lol: Appears they are out of stock because an UPDATED version might be coming 8) http://pureenergysystems.com/store/ScanGauge/

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kelly, they are only out of stock on the main Scan Gauge website. They do distribute to other vendors and that is one of the places that I got mines from. Here is the vendor that I got mines from:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/72fc/
These guys have them in stock.

Here is another:
http://www.ipdusa.com/productscat.aspx?CategoryID=1721&NodeID=5381&RootID=629

I couldn't wait to get the next generation Scan Gauge. Oh well... if they do come out with a smaller sleeker version that has more functions, then this one will go on my wife's car.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I've had a Scangauge since February, but have had it in my Subaru and not in the RAV. I bought it from the manufacturer on ebay (they sell them for quite a bit less than MSRP).

Great tool, although I agree the size of it makes it a bit awkward. I've already found that having the fuel economy readout right in front of me helps in driving a little more economically..

·
Registered
682 Posts
A warning for Aussie RAVers. The scan gauge will not work with 94-97 RAV4.1s as they didn't come with OBDII :?

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
As soon as it's in stock. I'm getting one. But I'll wait for the updated version. The information is very valuable. Especially the way I drive. :doh: I guess you install it in the OBC II port where you hookup the scanner am i correct Derek? Very useful, Great item Derek.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually they are already in stock at other vendors listed above.

Yes, they plug right into the OBDII connector. Mensagero, you have a 1997 RAV4, so you might want to check if you have the OBDII connector. Apparently Aussie RAV4s do not have this.

I might wait and see what the new Scan Gauge looks like. If there are more functions in a more compact and pleasing shape, then I'll probably get the newer version. They are that good, and the price is very reasonable for the valuable information that it provides.

Yesterday, I used the S-G to get a real-time trip reading of 26 MPG. :D The real-time average fuel economy feature is cool because you can alter your driving habits to increase/decrease your mileage.

Also, I discovered that I need to remodify my air intake. The highest reading for the air intake was 120 degrees F. I will probably put the old carbon fiber shielded system back in and see what differences I get.

Mensagero, you will definitely love this device. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just modified the Scan Gauge face to make it appear more modern:

Simple mod really. Just peel off the sticker face, it is a tough sticker that is very easy to remove. Then used the sticker as a template to cut out the carbon fiber that I had laying around the garage. The carbon fiber sheet is thin enough that the buttons still work.

Well, at least it matches my carbon fiber dash kit. :lol:

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Derek said:
Mensajero, you will definitely love this device. :thumbs_up:
I guess I will, because it will answer a lot of question that I and many other forum members have. They've asked me about mileage, performance, temperature, etc. This time i can give a little more information on how the old raver is working with all those parts I installed. Real numbers. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Make sure you use the "Fillup" function to correct, if necessary, the amount of fuel the Scangauge thinks you've used, when you fill it up the next time.

On my Subaru the Scangauge was reading low (i.e., it thought I had used less fuel than I really had, skewing the fuel mileage numbers to the high side). Once I had it calibrated to the vehicle, the results were more accurate.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
$3.05/gallon, sounds good to me! We're paying the equivalent of $3.66/gallon here (CDN$1.10/litre). 8)

I found that by smoothing out my driving and being a little more conservative with the help of the Scangauge I was able to improve overall tank mileage by 1-2 mpg in daily driving. Can't wait to try it out on a long highway trip.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
:roll: And we are quarreling. We pay 3.00 a gallon. But I can run in second gear to get from my home to my job. It's very close. I already received a reply from Scanguage. i just hope the new version is the same price.

The price of the ScanGauge is $129.95.

I will send you an e-mail when we are ready to resume shipping.

Ron
----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2006 6:51 PM
Subject: Put me on the waiting list

Please place me on the waiting list for one. In the mean time, send price.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
:roll: The word is comparing, not quarelling. Regarding the price, again you can get it for less than MSRP if you buy it from Linear Logic on ebay - as low as $100, shipping included. So when they start shipping again I'd check ebay first.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
bmorton said:
:roll: The word is comparing, not quarelling. Regarding the price, again you can get it for less than MSRP if you buy it from Linear Logic on ebay - as low as $100, shipping included. So when they start shipping again I'd check ebay first.
Well, you don't live in Puerto Rico. The word is quareling beleive me.

I was talking about P.R., not the forum. :lol:

·
Registered
542 Posts
this scan tool looks like a real nice gadget. since i have a '97 designed for the mid east market (with the distributor-less engine) , how can i tell if it has OBDII or not? it has the "diagnostic" socket thinggy near the alternator though.

any ideas other than "ask toyota"?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There should be an OBDII plug somewhere under the dash. Mines is located on the right hand side under the dash and right up next to the center console.

Download the PDF instruction manual on the Scan Gauge site listed above, and it will show you a picture of what the OBDII plug looks like. Sorry Peter, I do not have an 4.1.1 model RAV to check it out for you. Your best bet would be to take a look under the dash. :D

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.