Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While this site was down, I was experimenting with the best stereo to install into the RAV. I wanted 6cd's in at a time, but I also wanted to keep the use of my steering wheel controls. I ended up with the SCION unit since it is the same opening, can change its color to orange to match the rest of the interior, and works with the steering wheel controls. You do loose the cassette tape feature, but I haven't listend to them in years anyhow! As an added bonus, this radio sounds much nicer than the RAV stock system (has 160 w output) and plays MP3 disks using the text feature as well. I did have a highlander JBL system in, but at 200w, it tended to overpower the stock speakers. I've kept the door speakers stock, but have also added a Kenwood WOOX sub. It does a great job in our small interior of producing some great sound. I had it under my seat at first, but had to raise it to the top for it to fit. At 6'2", I felt like I was driving hunched over the steering wheel, so I've moved it to the back and am back to the sporty hight I wanted.

Oh yeah, YEEEEE HAAAAAAW! Thanks for getting this site back online Kelly!

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That's good information. Thanks. Do you know if it will work with the optional JBL amp system? I have the JBL upgrade, single disk unit that includes the rear mounted amp. in my 04Sport. Thanks.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The back of your radio has the 20 pin connection for the amp and the 14 (12?)pin for steering wheel controls. Your wiring harness has this 20 pin converted to the 10 and 6 pin from behind the dash. The scion radio just ueses the old 10 and 6 pin connections. If you hooked up the scion, you would be bypassing the amp. I thought the sound was better with the Scion Pioneer system than the Highlander JBL system I had. I only have the 6 speaker setup, and not the 8 speaker that you probably have. Hope this helps.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Where did you get the Scion unit? Do you have a part number? What did it cost you? This sounds like just the modification I've been looking for!

Thanks,
Darrell

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
EBay, $175 shipped. It's the 6 cd version that is an option on the xA, xB, and tC. There's the 04 version that I got which changes 10 colors, plays MP3s, and has text mode for CD and MP3s. The 05 model lets you change the text at start up. I didn't get that, but it's not killing me either. Watch for the radio with the load button in the top corner instead of the power button. They look pretty similar. Here's a link to one that I found by using "SCION MP3" in the search box.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7944511772&category=43947&sspagename=WDVW

Part number T1802

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have a photo of it so we can see what it looks like installed? I like the idea but am curious how it matches the dash colors and shape. TIA.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm so tempted to do this. i always wanted something that sounded better, but i didn't want to lose the stock look or the controls on the steering wheel.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chris said:
i'm so tempted to do this. i always wanted something that sounded better, but i didn't want to lose the stock look or the controls on the steering wheel.
Ditto here. I also think some of the Scion units come satellite ready, another interesting feature for me.

jerij

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hallo there....Nice forum..!!!

I think our friend rixrav just solved a problem/mystery of every rav4 owner!!!(At least for them who listen a lot of music in the car!).. :)

I have the 2004 model 2.0L 5 doors,and i am looking for an mp3 player that keeps the steering wheel controls...I search 2 months now...I found some patent, very expensive and not so sure to work....!

Some days before i discoverd that Toyota in Austarlia gives a factory mp3 stereo(!!!) with every new rav4...I contacted them,but they tell me that i must be an Australian to buy this!!! :?

So,at last i think rixrav found the solution.....Only that i have some questions for the scion radio....

First of all i found some pictures,so we can be sure we talk about the same parts....

Picture 1:Rav4 2004 model,factory stereo(front)

Picture 2:Rav4 2004 model,factory stereo(back)

Piture 3:Scion factory stereo i found on ebay(back)

My questions are:
1.Do you have the same parts as on the pictures?
2.In the back of the rav's factory stereo and scion's we see those pins adaptors...Do you think they match?(The scions picture is not very clear,so i cant see how many pins it has)...But as far as i can say from the pictures,the rav has much more pins...Didnt you use those extra pins?

Thanks for the info...I think its very important for lots of people... :)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I need to clarify that this is for a US spec RAV. Kavouras, the Scion will fit your opening, but I have no idea what the 8 pin and 18 pin connections are for and there is no place to plug those in on the Scion. Your 12 pin is for a CD changer, not steering wheel controls. I think those have closer to 20 pins on them. My connections match the 10/6 pin out in the SCION radio above. My steering wheel control harness pluged into the back of the connector on the left in the Scion radio above. The Scion radio has the rounded corners in front just like the stock RAV radio and is a perfect fit. The only thing that gives it away is the SCION painted in the top left corner and it says Scion on the display at startup. This is satellite ready, but only with the Scion kit which runs several hundred dollars at your local Scion dealer. It does not have RDS, but I thought that wasn't a big deal as on the Toyota's, it only holds the message for a few seconds before returning to the radio station number. It is a perfect fit in my 04 dash and therefore should fit 01 - 05 models. I'll update this post if I get a photo uploaded. Keep in mind that since this is a US spec radio, it picks up US radio frequencies (FM, and AM).

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And to add more info on the satellite option... yes the Scion radio is "XM ready" but it doesn't mean much unless you really want a clean factory look since it will only take the XM add on from Scion (dropped to $299 I believe). Even though it is a Pioneer, it will not take the Pioneer XM Direct add ons. You'd be better off getting a PnP model from XM or Sirius (whichever provider you prefer). You'll pay less and get more features, but (again) it won't be as clean looking (shrug).

Then again, I suppose the primary reason for adding the Scion is for a clean look so maybe it would be worth it to some people. :) Toyota/Scion announced they would provide Sirius as an option in some vehicles starting in 02/05 I believe. I don't know if it will be a DIO, port install, or factory (presumably not the latter), but I would suppose those that prefer Sirius may be able to use the headunit with it... we'll have to see.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for the input. I did research over the weekend and realized the Scion is only for XM. It won't display the info I want for the Sirius.

However....

When Toyota introduces the new "Sat-Ready" version of the radio
system in February, it should let me interface a Sirius system with it at that point as well as XM.

I know it will only interface with the Toyota supplied unit (unless someone like Soundgate or PIE makes an interface, which takes a while to get to market), but I've had a "factory" integrated unit previously in another car and THEY ROCK!!!!!

jerij

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You are right rixrav about the different frequencies between US-Europe....This article explains it well: http://www.epanorama.net/documents/radio/radio_differences.html ...So,i think if i also buy the factory player from Australia,i ll still have the same problems....

Thats very sad,cause i thought i found at last the solution!!

Another idea is an mp3 player(like ipod,creative jukebox)....Did anybody tried that?The thinks i dont understand is how you give power to ipod(i hope not only by battery!!),and if you must turn it on and off every time you want to hear music(or it opens automatically with the radio?)...Also i understand that you cant have tiltes of the songs on the lcd screen(no support of the factory stereo).....
Thanks again.... :)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
does anyone know if the scion mp3 cd player would work on a 2002 rav4 L with tweaters? I love that thing but im not about to go spend money on it and not be able to install the thing. thanks

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This radio fits in any rav dash opening from 01 through 05 with the 6 and 10 pin connections in the rear (the ones without the JBL amp) with no modifications. If you don't have steering wheel controls, this radio still works. It was an added bonus for me that this radio does support the controls. I have the stock tweeters in my Rav as well. If you're still not sure, pull your radio out and check the back. On the 02, it's a couple of screws and bolts. If it looks like the photo of the backside of the Scion radio above, then you're good to go. I put an old model Highlander radio in my RAV before this one so I proved that the Toyota connections haven't changed much in years. Actually, this Scion radio is the FOURTH radio I've had installed in the past year. All of my choices fit, it was just that each one was better than the last! I've been told by my wife that I'm done now though. :lol:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a 2002 rav 4 L edition, 4 speakers plus tweaters, no steering wheel controls though. Is the scion unit plug and play with my existing wiring harness? thanks guys

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a 2002 RAV 4 L edition, 4 speakers plus tweaters, no steering wheel controls though. Is the scion unit plug and play with my existing wiring harness? thanks guys

It should work fine. If I were you I'd first check and make sure your existing radio uses a 6 pin and a 10 pin connector on the back. If so, you shouldn't have any problems.

Current models with steering wheel controls have an additional 20 pin connector that also fits into the Scion. But as someone noted earlier, the Scion will work without it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts