Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got one from eBay. Installing it was a breeze, but I get an Error 3, Disk Full error.

I've tried searching the Scion forums and there doesn't seem to be an answer.

I remember someone else here saying they had some kind of problem when installing this HU, but I can't seem to find it

Any suggestions or ideas?

I'm pretty bummed out.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff said:
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27211&highlight=
Thanks. I opened the player up and most likely it was damage through shipping. It looks like the person who sold it to me didn't follow the shipping directions on top of the HU

If you look closely you can see the 1st cd changer tray is misaligned.

Closer look.

Stuck back in.

Still doesn't work... :cry:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any updates?

Has anyone had luck in solving this problem?

Looking at this unit as an upgrade, it definitely caught my eye... What exactly are the shipping procedures from the top of it?

Thanks,
Benny

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Any updates?

I wasn't able to solve it. If you can live without the disc changer, you can always buy the single Scion CD/MP3 player.

I believe the main issue is the shipping of the 6-disc changer. The sender's supposed go through some steps to put the unit into "shipping" mode. If I remember write, the directions are actually on the unit itself.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
(bump)

Any further updates or info out there? I just find it hard to believe that the changer mechanism is permanently trashed (unless there are broken parts...).

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can try following the directions to put it into SHIP mode, and then take it back out again, some people have had luck with doing that, it may realign the carousel.

Also, some people on the scionlife website shook their ERROR 3 units with mixed results (a plastic fragment fell out of mine - that's the worst result I know of... :).

In fairness, it was a unit I bought off of ebay that was advertised as broken, so I knew what I was getting in to.

Pioneer will fix it, but it'll cost $175. This is a flat rate, on the one I sent them, they replaced the carousel and the front face (one of the plastic retaining tabs was broken). They even sent my Pure Energy 9 CD back (I tested with a CD-R, not the original).

From my trusty Palm Pilot:
----
Pioneer OEM repair
1925 East Dominguez St.
Long Beach, CA 90810
(800) 553-3756

$175 cashier's check payable to "Pioneer Electronics" or "OEM Repair". This includes return shipping.

2-3 week turnaround, 90 day warranty (pretty standard on repaired electronics like this, I think).

Note what's wrong with the unit, just to make sure they address the correct stuff.
----
BTW, lest you think I'm not ebay saavy, when I did this, these units were selling for $275 or more, so bidding $91 for a broken unit, and potentially having to pay $175 for the repair was worth it.

Recent prices seem to have come down, so you might be able to get a second (this time, working) unit for less than the $175 repair cost, but keep in mind that you're rolling the dice again and if someone didn't put it in ship mode, you might have the same problem.

Searching for "scion changer" seems to work best. You *might* be able to find a mis-listed one by searching for "scion radio" and looking closely at ACTUAL (not stock) pictures as well. If you do that, any text (it says "6 DISC CD CHANGER") in the center above the CD slot and/or the LOAD button on the right of the CD slot are what you're looking for.

As usual, hope this helps!

Vaughan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts