Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all!, i'm a proud owner of 2005 a Rav4 "Base", here in Mexico it's named in that way (or simply Rav4, what i mean is that it isn't the "L" version) and i'm also very proud of being a new member of this community.

I've been reading carefully other posts about replacing the stock head unit with a Scion stereo and therefore i decided to look for it at ebay. What i don't understand very well is that most of the sellers give the Toyota part number i.e. 86120-OW100 for checking the compatibilty so...how can i check the compatibility between the seller's head unit and my Rav4?, do i have to check the Toyota part number of my stock head unit and it must be the same or similar to that one?.

I know that this topic about the Scion head unit has been mentioned several times and in several ways, so i apologize if my post seems to be reiterative, but i feel that there are some concerns that are not very clear about the compatibility with the Rav4's different models and the Scion unit, i.e. some people have 2004, 2003 model or have 2005 Sport model and they say that their Scion units fit perfectly in their cars...but...will be a Scion unit that fit so perfect in mine?.

By the way, do you know if "mjmautoinnovations" site ships to Mexico?, because i really need two pairs of speaker adapters, if not, do you know about other store that is able to sell and ship to my country?

I know that maybe it´s not so appropiate to start in this community making a lot of questions, but i promise that despite im totally a newbie in Toyota cars topics (Toyota entered in mexican market just 3 ago), i will post my experiences to help to others and to make grow even more this fantastic site, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Hola Peter33! Welcome to the best RAV4 forum! Wayne, who bought one scion unit, has a 2005 and he had no problems whatsoever installing the head unit. It was a plug and play thing. You can PM him if you want :p

There are never "too many questions" in this forum. Always ask whatever you want. You're more than welcome to do so and you'll always find very knowledgable people here.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hola Miriam!, thanks for replying my post in such way, your welcome made me feel very well as i felt personally that friendly environment that i had noted before in this site.

You are right, maybe i should pm to Wayne, since he's been sharing his succesfull experience with the instalation of the Scion head unit. It's just that i was not sure about the similarity between the audio system of his car (Rav4 2005 Sport edition, that doesn't exist in Mexico) and the audio system of mine (Rav4 2005 Base), but again, then it would be better that he could help me to find if there is any difference between both Rav4's versions.

Anyway, if somebody else has a Rav4 different version and tried to install a Scion unit in it, it would be great that he or she shares his/her experience with us.

Thanks again Miriam, i think that maybe it's more convenient using the pm option in some cases, so i will do that. I hope that you are having a nice weekend (maybe watching how steelers win the AFC championsip), i'll read you soon!, adios!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check out my photo album for pictures of the back of the radio. You can compare that to yours to see if the plugs are the same.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Peter33 said:
It's just that i was not sure about the similarity between the audio system of his car (RAV4 2005 Sport edition, that doesn't exist in Mexico) and the audio system of mine (RAV4 2005 Base), but again, then it would be better that he could help me to find if there is any difference between both RAV4's versions.
Hi Peter,

They are actually the same connections, for all years of the second-generation RAV4, so -- it would seem that -- all of them would fit. There are essentially only four connections;

1) Power
2) Antenna
3) Wiring Harness
4) Steering wheel controls.

In my research before buying, I found that pretty much every part number (which I find confusing versus "T-1804" which is on the front of the radio) is going to be a drop-in compatible replacement.

There are subtle differences in the feature set, such as the ability to set the Welcome Message, or -- in the case of 6cd changers -- the ability to change the display color, but by in large, they are all the same, to include even the 2006 models.

From what I understand however, the 2006 models include an iPod connector on the back, but you have to buy the additional cable (from Toyota???) to hook up your iPod. This is something I wish that I had waited for, but such is life.

Wayne

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Friends!

Wayne & RixRav thank you very much four your comments, i'm starting to think that Scion head units are fully compatible with several Rav4 versions, at least in North America.

I haven´t bought any Scion head unit yet because i haven´t verified the plugs in mine´s as RixRav suggested, but that's a very good idea and i'll do that very soon (this weekend) . I don't know if i just have to verify if there is the same number of pins in my stereo's plug or maybe i should have to look at "active" pins, i mean, there are some holes in the harness' plug that are "empty", they don't have any kind of metal conductor...that's just mi little concern about that.

Wayne, before thinking about upgrading my stock head unit, i tried to use an FM transmitter to listen mp3 files. Several months ago, my brother tested one of those Wal Mart's FM transmitters in his Kenwood head unit, using my Treo 650, and the sound quality seemed pretty good to me. The sad side of the history is that when i tried that same FM transmitter in my stock head unit, then the quality sound seemed poor, maybe i'm exaggerating, but definitively it didn't worked as in my brother's Kenwood.

I also tried using an FM modulator, that has a wired direct connection to the stereo and it's relatively simple to install, so therefore it's supposed to work better than an transmitter. But i was surprised when i noted that the sound quality was even more deficient than using the transmitter, so, after that, i thought that the sound quality was more related to the head unit's quality than to any kind of transmitter/modulator.

What i mean is that maybe you should try an FM transmitter (they are cheap) to listen your i-pod files because you have already upgraded your stock unit and therefore, you would lose almost nothing of sound quality.

I hope to buy very soon a Scion head unit and share my experience with other participants. Thanks again RixRav and Wayne, have a nice weekend!

·
Registered
31 Posts
my car(2005) have a computer which calculate the mpg, awerage speed and so on.
this is part of the original stereo-system.
my question is:
- Is the scion unit capable of doing this??(showing mpg and so on?)

N

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NilsintheSnow as far as I no the Scion Head Unit does not show mph etc. I read this somewhere on this forum.
It also seems the unit will fit all Rav4 (second generation) but does this also mean Right Hand drives as well as Left Hand drives?
Can someone verify this.
I would like to get a Scion unit from America & install here in England.
All the head units here do not allow for the steering wheel controls, the Scion is the only unit that fits a Rav4 that will do this but I`ve not heard of a Right Hand install.
Any help on this would be appreciated.
Regards

·
Registered
214 Posts
NilsintheSnow said:
my car(2005) have a computer which calculate the mpg, awerage speed and so on.
this is part of the original stereo-system.
my question is:
- Is the scion unit capable of doing this??(showing mpg and so on?)

N
Hi Nils,

In short, no. I apparently wasn't thinking of the big picture when I said that they'd fit "all" second-generation RAV4's. Had Toyota given the US a diesel model, I'd be driving one, hence have known that it wouldn't do the stuff a diesel stereo does.

For me, it was a plug and play, and the back of the stock stereo and the back of the Scion had identical plugs, though in different places. Everything works for me, including the steering wheel controls. I just wish I had waited and bought a 2006 model which had the iPod controls, not to mention the rotary control button that I miss very much.

Helpful links;

- The thread here which got me started

- How to remove a RAV4 stereo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts