Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Glad to see other RAV4 fans out there. I just got my RAV4 1 week ago. I have always loved this car and my DH surprised me with a 2005. I wasn't crazy about the changes for 2006, so he checked around till he found one for me. I just love it.

Before I found this board, I thought the factory radio sounded crappy. Once I found this board and everyone seemed to be of the same opinion, I knew it wasn't just me.

Anyway, here's my question. Did those of you who changed out the factory radio to the Scion radio use any special tools? I have found the links to the instructions posted by Wayne and others so we have the information we need for the actual swap, but I'm worried about damaging the side panels. Did you guys use anything special to pull those off? I tried with my hands (and fingers) but got nervous and left it alone (for now).

I'm sorry if I'm rehashing these questions, but I want to be sure I don't ruin my nice new RAV4!

Thanks,
Rose :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
rosecafe said:
Anyway, here's my question. Did those of you who changed out the factory radio to the Scion radio use any special tools?
Nope. Just a 10mm ratchet and a screwdriver as I recall.

Removing the side panels was scary to watch, but they did essentially pull right off. The guy at BestBuy just grabbed hold with his fingernails and snapped them right off. You might put a screwdriver over a rag (to keep from scratching the dash) and pry if needed, but they did just pop right off. Like you, I was utterly convinced that he was about to break them, but it never happened.

Wayne

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scion radio & Install: UPDATE

Hi,

Thanks to Wayne and all the others who posted valuable information about changing the stock radio to the Scion radio. Today, DH and I completed the project (without killing each other either!). Since we were being careful, the whole project took about 45 minutes.

Wayne, thanks for the step by step instructions in another post, they were perfect! It went exactly as described.

Now for some observations. Those side panels are something else to take off. That was the worst of it. My fingertips are sore from trying to pry them off. We couldn't do it with our fingers. What finally worked? A credit card. It was thin enough and pliable enough that it allowed us to pry them off. We were confused as to what direction they came off in but they just pull off towards you. Once we got that off, it was smooth sailing. The screwdriver and the 10mm socket were exactly what we needed.

The sound is indeed better than the stock radio. I am able to get in stations with the Scion that I couldn't otherwise. Also, the SSP feature makes the sound better as well.

All in all, I am happy with the upgrade. I wish I could get the Scion lettering off the unit without making it ugly but, I'm willing to live with it for now.

THANKS AGAIN!!
Rose

P.S. We did disconnect the battery for safety.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Re: Scion radio & Install: UPDATE

rosecafe said:
Wayne, thanks for the step by step instructions in another post, they were perfect! It went exactly as described.
You are most certainly welcome. Sorry about your fingertips, though I'm glad I could help, and I'm glad that you find the upgrade "worthy" as I did. My only regret, as I might have mentioned, is not getting the 2006 model with the rotary volume control. I may, after all is said and done, upgrade again if I can find one reasonably priced on eBay.

Of course what I *really* want is to install the 2006 Camry Navigation system in my RAV4, but I really can't justify the ~1600 dollar investment for the hardware.

Perhaps if one of the site members just happens to be the guy from Nebraska who won the 365 million dollar lottery, they might treat us all to Nav systems? :)

Wayne

1 - 4 of 4 Posts