Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
There's a thread about the tC supercharger on rav4oz.com if you haven't already seen it. It will be coming out apparently. TRD supercharger kit, the theory is probably around $3,000 U.S. plus installation. Someone on Rav4Oz also had info on what they think/know the difference in output to be. Probably not as much as we'd like from the sound of it...nevertheless I may consider it (some time in the future, not anytime real soon) since I'm planning on keeping my Rav for a LONG time (if all goes as planned) and I always thought it would be fun to have a blower.

Becky

R

·
0 Posts
I was the one who posted it on the OZ board.

The SC will only fit the 2.4L motor, not the earlier 2.0L motor (02 and older).

It only bumps the output to 200 HP and 200 Ft Lbs (engine figures not wheel figures). (40 HP and 40 Ft lbs).

The cost is $4000 on a Scion TC as a dealer installed option. So figure the same cost to have it installed on a RAV, or about $3000 to buy the unit and install it yourself.

The SC is set to run 6 or 7 psi, which could be increased via a smaller pulley on the supercharger. I'm assuming those will be available aftermarket or via TRD, but they will NOT be CARB approved (just the smaller pulley).

I'm ASSUMING (big problem there) that the Supercharger would be CARB approved for the RAV, just as it is for the Scion, but it may not be. You may have to have the supercharger Referee'd if you live in Cali, but it should pass with flying colors. Once it's Referee'd, you're okay for the life of the vehicle, you don't have to go through the hassle every year/2 years.

R

·
0 Posts
In theory, ANYTHING CAN be refereed. However, in practice, it's not that easy.

If the kit is CARB legal on another vehicle that uses the same engine, it should be very easy.

If the kit is CARB legal on another engine but still within the same brand (Say, another Toyota), then you've got a decent chance.

If the kit is CARB legal on another engine, from another brand, (say a honda kit on your Toyota), it's going to be very hard.

If the kit is NOT CARB legal, then it's going to be VERY, VERY, VERY hard.

Lastly....if you built the kit yourself, it's going to be damn near impossible.

Basically, once you get into the "very hard" catagory, they are going to make you try to "prove" that your modification doesn't adversely affect emissions. This is a VERY expensive ($8000 to $15,000) emissions/dyno test. If you pass that, you've got a chance. If you fail that, the modificaiton fails. Do not pass go.

·
Registered
396 Posts
So, basically don't bother with an aftermarket turbo if you live in CA, huh?? Even if one were to get smog hookups, it'd still cost money for each test and then if you were to sell the vehicle later, you'll have problems again with smogging your vehicle for the sale. Ah well, I guess TC or SCing my Rav is still just going to be a dream.

R

·
0 Posts
No, once you get a modificaton "referee'd", then it is golden. The "passed" status stick with the VIN when you get your next emissions test, and the "passed" status would follow the car to the new owner (again, it sticks with the VIN).

You still have to do the tailpipe test every 2 years and upon sale, but as long as you pass that, the referee'd parts pass as well.

This is what AEM and all the various engine aftermarket companies have to do. They make the part, install it on a car, then pay for the testing, and submit the testing to CARB, then CARB gives them the "passed" number to put on all the parts, or gives them an "exemption" number to put on all the parts. I'm still fuzzy on what constitutes a "passed" and what constitutes and "exemption", but the aftermarket comapnies and CARB have it figured out.

In theory, if you got your homemade turbo kit tested and approved, you could then sell the kit and it would be 50 state legal.

·
Registered
396 Posts
So, basically, the 2azfe engine owners have it easy with their upcoming sc while those with the 1azfe engine would have a tougher time trying to get an aftermarket tc pass the state referee? Is there even a CARB legal aftermarket turbo kit?

R

·
0 Posts
Yeah 1AZ folks are gettin' no love.
There are CARB legal turbo kits, but not for the 1AZ or 2AZ engines.

In theory, if you bought the 2AZ supercharger, and did whatever was required to make it fit (not sure what that would entail), you could probably get it referee'd to pass, but I would check with a CARB referee first. You can call them and talk to them. Most are private citizens who are contracted by the state to do the task of referee'ing, not pencil pushers.

BTW, I found all this out when a friend of mine had to get his engine swap Referee'd.

R

·
0 Posts
but when is it coming out?!?!?! i've been wanting boost for the longest time! :D anyways, it'll be cool if the sc fit with minimal mods, but that's just my dream...

R

·
0 Posts
The kit should be at dealers by September.

One option for the 1AZ folks is a rear mount turbocharger. Check out the latest issue of HCI magazine for the details. They don't have a 1AZ specific application, but it sure would be the "cheap" way to turbocharge an older RAV. Since the turbo is after all of the emissions equipment, getting it carb approved shouldn't be all that hard either!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Rear mount turbo? Are you talking about the Squires Turbo System that I've read about at Performance Products' Toyota trucks catalog? Interesting setup although it probably wouldn't fo it for me since I sometimes wade in water and mud. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts