Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Since a lot of people seem to be considering swapping out their Toyota stereo for the matching Scion unit (whether single or 6cd is the same), I thought I'd offer a quick update with some install pointers.

I apologize that I don't have pictures, but I had to sell my digital camera about a year ago (to pay for my divorce) and haven't really found one I like enough to replace it.

My first impression of the Scion upgrade? Do it. Immediately. The sound difference is amazing and being able to put 109 songs (4 hours) on 1 cd is well worth the $70.01 I paid for the Scion T1804 deck off of e-Bay. I didn't get the 6 cd changer, because those are far more rare, and far more expensive (usually $230+).

If I have ONE regret, and it's the only one so far, it's that I didn't hold out for the 2006 model head unit.. Why? Because I miss the rotary volume knob very badly. My steering wheel controls work though, so who's complaining? Next comes the iPod interface.

Notes on installation
---------------
Despite my serious earlier concerns over the installation of this deck, I have to honestly report that I feel like an idiot for bribing the guys at Best Buy to help me out. The one thing that stopped me from doing it myself is that the 2005 RAV4 differs from older models because it doesn't have the little nuts on the dash that you simply unscrew and take off the face plate. Therefore, I was unsure of, and afraid of breaking things.. Silly me.

There are essentially 3 steps, the first is the most hazardous.

1) On the left and right of the stereo are two trim panels, presumably colored the same as the car (mine were silver). Instead of bolting on as the older ones do, you simply pry these side panels off (you can do so with your fingers) but be careful not to just go ape on it or you'll snap one (hence the "most hazardous" quote above).

2) Once you have off the side trim pieces, you take out 4 Phillips screws which mount the dash plate (which includes the air vents). Then you carefully wedge out the plate -- which can get tricky around the bottom of the head unit as it's the thinnest spot -- and set it aside.

3) Next comes the removal of the 4 10mm bolts which are holding the head unit in. Once those bolts are removed, the stereo slides out and you can unhook the four wires from the back and the stereo is free.

4) Remove the side brackets from the Toyota unit, mount them on the Scion unit.

5) Plug the four wires into the corresponding slots on the Scion Radio

6) Reverse the process, starting at step 3.... 2.... 1.... done. LITERALLY less than a 15 minute operation, but then again, I did pay for the professional help. In the end, I'm glad I did, because I have a bad history with car electronics, but watching him do it in literally 11 minutes made me feel silly in the end.

When I can find a reasonably priced 6cd changer unit, I'll do THAT myself.

Wayne

R

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the walkthrough! I am thinking about doing this myself with one of the new unites with the built in i-pod interface. Who needs a CD changer when you can just plug in your i-pod? :D

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Well guys, after a year or so that i bought this unit, i finally installed it in my baby today :roll:. Thanks to Wayne's instruction, it was really, i mean, really really easy. I didn't loose any bolts or nuts either cuz i used a piece of paper (the instructions print-out from here :p) and placed them kinda folded under the screws. I did brake my socket holder cuz it's made out of the same cheap plastic of some screwdrivers, but found a better one at home. I finally got to use my socket wrench :p. One thing i don't like is that my unit seems to be a little off center, meaning that's probably 3/32 to the right, instead of being dead center (yeah, i know i'm too picky), and what you see is about 1/8" of space on the left side, which shows some of the plastic under the faceplate. It's that shiny stuff you see to the left on the picture. :(

It'll take me a while to get used to that cuz i hate when things aren't centered, but oh well. Sound is really crisp though. At first, i thought i couldn't tell the difference, but when i listened to my normal station, it sounded great! :). Now i need to replace the crappy speakers :?
Here's another pic.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
garfieldgurl said:
Well guys, after a year or so that i bought this unit, i finally installed it in my baby today :roll:.
Way cool. Congrats, and I hope you enjoy it like I did.

Wayne

·
Registered
994 Posts
Wayne said:
Hi guys,

Since a lot of people seem to be considering swapping out their Toyota stereo for the matching Scion unit (whether single or 6cd is the same), I thought I'd offer a quick update with some install pointers.

I apologize that I don't have pictures, but I had to sell my digital camera about a year ago (to pay for my divorce) and haven't really found one I like enough to replace it.

My first impression of the Scion upgrade? Do it. Immediately. The sound difference is amazing and being able to put 109 songs (4 hours) on 1 cd is well worth the $70.01 I paid for the Scion T1804deck off of e-Bay. I didn't get the 6 cd changer, because those are far more rare, and far more expensive (usually $230+).

If I have ONE regret, and it's the only one so far, it's that I didn't hold out for the 2006 model head unit.. Why? Because I miss the rotary volume knob very badly. My steering wheel controls work though, so who's complaining? Next comes the iPod interface.

Notes on installation
---------------
Despite my serious earlier concerns over the installation of this deck, I have to honestly report that I feel like an idiot for bribing the guys at Best Buy to help me out. The one thing that stopped me from doing it myself is that the 2005 RAV4 differs from older models because it doesn't have the little nuts on the dash that you simply unscrew and take off the face plate. Therefore, I was unsure of, and afraid of breaking things.. Silly me.

There are essentially 3 steps, the first is the most hazardous.

1) On the left and right of the stereo are two trim panels, presumably colored the same as the car (mine were silver). Instead of bolting on as the older ones do, you simply pry these side panels off (you can do so with your fingers) but be careful not to just go ape on it or you'll snap one (hence the "most hazardous" quote above).

2) Once you have off the side trim pieces, you take out 4 Phillips screws which mount the dash plate (which includes the air vents). Then you carefully wedge out the plate -- which can get tricky around the bottom of the head unit as it's the thinnest spot -- and set it aside.

3) Next comes the removal of the 4 10mm bolts which are holding the head unit in. Once those bolts are removed, the stereo slides out and you can unhook the four wires from the back and the stereo is free.

4) Remove the side brackets from the Toyota unit, mount them on the Scion unit.

5) Plug the four wires into the corresponding slots on the Scion Radio

6) Reverse the process, starting at step 3.... 2.... 1.... done. LITERALLY less than a 15 minute operation, but then again, I did pay for the professional help. In the end, I'm glad I did, because I have a bad history with car electronics, but watching him do it in literally 11 minutes made me feel silly in the end.

When I can find a reasonably priced 6cd changer unit, I'll do THAT myself.

Wayne
What year is your Rav?

Did you see any Aux In or Line In on the stock radio?

Was there a plug for the antenna?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was a 2005, and unfortunately I cannot recall (though doubt) if it had an Aux in or any such way to get an iPod or other thing adapted. It did have an antenna plug (one of the four things that had to be connected).

Wayne

B

·
0 Posts
Anyone figure out a way to get the ASL working?

From the manual:
ASL: During drive, noise in the car changes according to the driving speed and road conditions. The automatic sound levelizer (ASL) monitors such varying noise and automatically increases the volume level. If this noise becomes greater, the sensitivity (variation of volume level to noise level) of ASL can be set to one of three levels. Turning the VOLUME knob changes the ASL setting as follows: Turning the VOLUME knob clockwise OFF -> Low -> Mid -> High. Initial setting is low.

Do Ravs have the same wiring for the speed pulse signal?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts