Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

Just wanted to say thanks to Wayne and all those on the forum who did such a good job of talking up the Scion T1804 radio upgrade. I bought a unit on eBay for $65 USD and installed it last night. The installation was very straightforward on my 2004 RAV4 (I hesitate to say "easy" as it was my first time ever doing this..)

Removal of pieces was just as described -- slightly tricky, but everything did pull straight out toward me. I used a credit card to pry the two silver side pieces out, and the big plastic piece with the vents just took a lot of patience and determination (and yes, it did feel like I was going to break something!)

I managed to accidentally lose one of my bolts though, as I was trying to remove one (the left side rear-most bolt), it dropped back into the innards behind the console, never to be seen again, unless I take apart the car... ugh. So might I add a recommendation to use a pair of pliers or a magnetic pick-up tool to remove those inner-most bolts when taking out the old radio.

Mine was the older model (2004) Scion unit, so it has volume buttons instead of a knob, which will take a while to get used to. But, the sound does seem to be improved, so I think it was a worthwhile upgrade!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
notjustjay said:
Hey all!

Just wanted to say thanks to Wayne and all those on the forum who did such a good job of talking up the Scion T1804 radio upgrade. I bought a unit on eBay for $65 USD and installed it last night. The installation was very straightforward on my 2004 RAV4 (I hesitate to say "easy" as it was my first time ever doing this..)

Removal of pieces was just as described -- slightly tricky, but everything did pull straight out toward me. I used a credit card to pry the two silver side pieces out, and the big plastic piece with the vents just took a lot of patience and determination (and yes, it did feel like I was going to break something!)

I managed to accidentally lose one of my bolts though, as I was trying to remove one (the left side rear-most bolt), it dropped back into the innards behind the console, never to be seen again, unless I take apart the car... ugh. So might I add a recommendation to use a pair of pliers or a magnetic pick-up tool to remove those inner-most bolts when taking out the old radio.

Mine was the older model (2004) Scion unit, so it has volume buttons instead of a knob, which will take a while to get used to. But, the sound does seem to be improved, so I think it was a worthwhile upgrade!
I dropped a bolt down inside the console too. Rattles sometimes. Pissed me off right nice. Should have used some stickum on the ratchet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts