Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found ebay just a matter of luck $225. cat back with some type of blemish. Hell if its the tip it can be cut off and replaced.

Ships Friday.

So Modified CAI done check
Exhaust on its way check
OME lift on order check
New BBS wheels and 225-70-16 Goodrich KO's in garage check

Next best spent money on the 4cylinder? hmmmm

Comments suggestions? Help?

Scott

·
Registered
198 Posts
Catback

Glad to learn my Borla tip panned out. I have added a Pacesetter header, order one for a 1984 to 1989 Celica GT with the 3SFE motor you will have to do a little cutting to the fan shroud to get clearance for the header and have the header collector added to and modify the pipe a little, you also need to add a SS flex joint. I did this myself but you would need access to a welder and be able to do the fabracation, I also am adding a underdrive crank pulley Guaranteed 8 HP and I am working on finding a larger throttle body, the throttle body is aparently needed to make everything work in unison. My son and others have found that your main MPG increase comes from adding the large throttle body. Go Figure; :cheers: Vicco27 Keep Rollin;

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
outstanding vicco27, but my I give you a little piece of advice. The crank pulley :shrug: :doh: . My brother is an engineer with a pharmaceutical company. He has a N/A Honda Si in the mid 12s. I asked him about the Aluminum Underdrive Crank Pulley. :wall He told me not to touch it with a 10 foot poll. They weaken a very sensitive area of the shaft, the snout. Increasing Power, Air Condition belt, Power Steering belt, Alt Belt. A little too much stress. This happen to me in a 323 Mazda that I had. (No, not the Rotary engine) It just cracks the snout. I haven't seen this happen in a 3SFe engine, but if you do install it. Please BAM, keep us informed.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Underdrive Pulley

Mensajero.......As to the use of underdrive pulleys, my son belongs to a rallycross club and I happened to go with him for the first time today and got to talk to a lot of people...even a mechanical engineer. I, myself, have been a mechanic for over 40 years. Anyway.......One question that came up in conversation was the use of underdrive pulleys. Come to find out, if painted original color and not noticeable, they're the most frequent first add-on that's done since they're not considered "non-stock" . So practically everybody has underdrive pulleys on their cars. And, these guys wind the crap out of these motors :shock: No one I talked to had ever heard of a problem involving the pulley. The engineer said you might hurt belts, one guy had his belt come off today, but the lighter pulley is easier on the crank. Not trying to start something, just happened to have your post come up today and I happened to be talking to people about this particular scenario. Unorthodox dyno tests every applicaton and they use an average of 3-5 cars. The lowest horsepower gain on anything was 5 hp and the highest gain was 21 hp. On a RAV4, they guarantee 7-11 on a good motor. Nuff said. :cheers:

vicco27 Keep Rollin'

P.S. If I have a problem, I'll use this one :wall

·
Registered
198 Posts
Rallycross

Mensajero; I believe it is timed only, however they list hill climbs and IROC in upcoming events on there flyer. and I don't know what they are. nor do I know that much about it, but it looks like it could be fun without spending a lot of money. Do you know of anyone who has Rallycrossed a 5spd. RAV4? They seem like they would be a little top heavy, but I was thinking that if you used a set of 5on41/2" by 7"or 8" wide ofset wheels for a Ford or Chry prod. with say P215ZR40X15" TOYO proxis tires you could make it work as long as you stayed on top of the wheel brgs and ball joints IE your maintenance. Any input would be welcome. I also have a 1984 Dodge Datona turbo Z 5spd which is an option. :cheers:

Vicco27 Keep Rollin;

·
Registered
198 Posts
PUZZLED.

:? Boo_Duh, does your comment refer to the instalation and use of an underdrive pulley on a RAV4, or using ford-chry prod ofset wheels with P215ZR40X15" tires on a RAV4 for Ralleycross use? :cheers:

Vicco27 Keep Rollin:

·
Registered
302 Posts
here is a link here at RAV4World about lightweght pulleys...it is a mix of pros and cons......

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1522&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=lightweght+pulley

here is a link from the RAV4 Expedition

http://www.rav4expedition.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=99

I am having problems logging in my account in their site but if you are registered you can log in and do a search on Light weight pulleys........

right now the pulley is a possible mod but it would be way down my list....i am also looking through the Scion TC sites.....check them out too, if you want.....http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=113962

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Installed exhaust tonight

Didn't get what I expected I recieved a TRD/Borla muffler but no cat to muffler pipe. Contacted ebay seller but no reply yet.

Did I get ripped should the system have came with a cat back pipe?

Scott

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Go back to the EBay post. Read carefully. If you read something that you wasn't counting on. Give the guy a negative evaluation.

I hate to see a SOB getting away with murder.

That is why I don't by anything on EBay any more. Check their stock, it looks like a ride in an amusement park. Going up and down, but more down then up, and going no where.

http://www.google.com/pfetch/dchart?s=EBAY

·
Registered
302 Posts
i don't think TRD muffler is a cat back it is always an axle back, that means you are basically just changing your OEM muffler. your mid pipe from cat and back are still stock....sorry...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Borla

Scott...... What I saw a while back was a complete Borla catback system drawing or blueprint picture that depicted what was being put up for auction. It may have been something different. I hope you didn't get taken :wall :cheers:

vicco27 Keep Rollin:

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All of the courses that vicco27 was talking about in autocross racing is on time. I believe I was turning around 5500 to 6000 rpm's. The only problem I have had is I blew out my msd coil on my car [neon]. No problems with my under drive pulley. The only way I could see having a problem with one is if you didn't tighten it down. And it got loose and then got the wobbles

1 - 19 of 19 Posts