Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a used 2009 RAV4 4 cylinder with just under 100,000 miles on it, and I'm already having some problems. When I test drove it the check engine light came on and the dealership ended up replacing the O2 sensor, because of that issue they gave me 30 days where they would fix the car or buy it back for the full price I paid for it, so I really need to figure out if this sound is something to worry about. The sound only happens occasionally but it's fairly loud and it's easy to notice even with the windows up and the radio on low. I can't tell exactly where its coming from but I think its in the front end and its like a scraping/grinding sound that happens when I'm accelerating. I've noticed it mostly between 35 and 45 mph and it's after the engine has been running for at least 20 minutes. It doesn't make the sound everytime I accelerate, its kind of a hit or miss, but I have noticed it happening mostly when I'm going up hills. The closest thing I can equate the sound to is when I had a car, the plastic protective covering on the bottom tore and dragged against the pavement, which is what this sounds like. If anyone has any idea what might be causing this please let me know

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I just recently purchased a used 2009 RAV4 4 cylinder with just under 100,000 miles on it, and I'm already having some problems. When I test drove it the check engine light came on and the dealership ended up replacing the O2 sensor, because of that issue they gave me 30 days where they would fix the car or buy it back for the full price I paid for it, so I really need to figure out if this sound is something to worry about. The sound only happens occasionally but it's fairly loud and it's easy to notice even with the windows up and the radio on low. I can't tell exactly where its coming from but I think its in the front end and its like a scraping/grinding sound that happens when I'm accelerating. I've noticed it mostly between 35 and 45 mph and it's after the engine has been running for at least 20 minutes. It doesn't make the sound everytime I accelerate, its kind of a hit or miss, but I have noticed it happening mostly when I'm going up hills. The closest thing I can equate the sound to is when I had a car, the plastic protective covering on the bottom tore and dragged against the pavement, which is what this sounds like. If anyone has any idea what might be causing this please let me know
My guess would be a sheet metal shield under the car is vibrating at certain engine speeds/loads. If they replaced a sensor, perhaps they didn't tighten one of the shields they removed. I'd put it up on a lift while someone revs the engine slowly up and down and listen for the noise. To load the engine, put it in drive, brakes on and slowly rev the engine.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Yes, focus on the exhaust system heat shields. When loose they vibrate sometimes quite loudly at resonant engine speeds.

My niece was just here recently with her 2007 Outback with a noise that she didn't mind driving locally with but worried her for a planned trip with friends. We localized it exactly as ravenuer described and a couple large hose clamps on her exhaust near the engine and ten minutes later all was quiet.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
If the noise occurs at the same rpm (tachometer reading) under different conditions including stopped it's almost certainly a loose heat shield.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a similar problem with my 2010 rav4 sport. Seems for be only on low RPMs (usually 30-40mph). I've noticed it more during inclines, never when idling/stopped. No check engine lights. If I take my foot of the accelerator for a second and resume it goes away. I checks 2 heat shields under the car, both are secure and again, no noises when stopped/idling. Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone resolved this issue? I have an 09 Rav4 Limited that's doing exactly as desunnysi1989 described. I'm taking it to mechanic number 5 this week and hoping to find a potential solution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a similar problem with my 2010 rav4 sport. Seems for be only on low RPMs (usually 30-40mph). I've noticed it more during inclines, never when idling/stopped. No check engine lights. If I take my foot of the accelerator for a second and resume it goes away. I checks 2 heat shields under the car, both are secure and again, no noises when stopped/idling. Any help is much appreciated!
Hi. I know it is a bit of an old issue but I have the exact same issue with my rav4 2010 and the moment I take off my foot of the accelerator the sound goes away. Did you ever find what was the issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts