Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I've been viewing these forums for years now, and have had an '09 Rav4 since getting my license about 5 years ago now.

I do apologize if there have been many threads about similar topics, but I have been trying to get rid of some pesky scuffs on the lower part of the dash right below the middle fan dial. The car was my moms before she gave it to me, and at one point she had a metal key chain hanging from the dial. From years of swaying while going around turns, it created a light gray scuff that cannot be removed by hand.

Finally getting annoyed by having to look at it, I tried using some Meguiar's interior polish and a dremel tool with a polishing wheel to try and remove it. I was not successful, and it only really shined up the area, somewhat brightening the marks even more.

I will try to post a picture tomorrow, as it is somewhat unique, but there is no feeling to the marks if you rub your finger across them, it seems that the metal just wore away the paint. Are there any products to remedy this, or would the component need to be replaced to remove the marks? I'm willing to buy more product, but probably will just deal with it if I had to replace the entire unit. Thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remove the panel and repaint it. The dremel will just remove paint!
Yeah, I was thinking it would come down to that. Is there a certain product available that matches the exact color of the dash? I have been having trouble finding Toyota's exact name for the interior color online. I would like to try and get an exact match even if it costs a little more.

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
If it really irritates you suggest having a good body shop have a look at it. A good body shop can match paint color exactly but it will be much more expensive than if, for example, it were possible to use spray touch up paint. Of they can repaint the entire panel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts