Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new here. I've had my 2012 Limited since August last year and have since fallen in love with it as has my wife.

Recently, CEL, Trac Off, and 4WD lights all came on and have stayed on. 2 days now. I went to an autoparts store to get the code read and it's telling me B2S2 oxygen sensor. The autoparts guy says, oh hey no problem, run a bottle of seafoam through your gas tank, it might just clean it up.

Is this an exercise in futility or is there actually a chance a bottle of seafoam could clean it up? My instincts are saying I should cut the chase and swap in a new o2 sensor but a 10 dollar bottle of seafoam fix is mighty tempting.

Thanks.

·
Registered
248 Posts
You might delay this for a few months with sea foam but in my experience you'll have less hassle if you bite the bullet and change the sensor. The issue will be resolved as opposed to going away for a few months. If you're going to sell it in the immediate future it might make sense, but in my opinion, you're just postponing the expense (and doubling the effort) by sea foaming it now.

·
Registered
731 Posts
The code is for the sensor behind the catalytic converter (downstream) on the front bank by the radiator.

Seafoam is on my top 5 list of chemicals I know work. But it won't help with a faulty O2 sensor. What is the P code?

When replacing the sensor, please use only DENSO since it is OEM. I have never had a bad DENSO part. Their quality is excellent.

·
Registered
80 Posts
O2 sensors only put out a maximum of 1 volt, thus they are very susceptible to a poor electrical connection making them seem bad. Exercise the sensor connector a few times, erase the code and see if it stays clear. If it comes back, then you should replalce the sensor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts