Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We added a 2016 Rav4 SE to the family last year. Now that mileage just passed 50K miles, I would like to drain and fill the transmission and rear diff fluid.

The transmission is the sealed unit and from what I understand, the fluid must be changed while at a certain temperature in order to ensure that the correct amount of new fluid is replaced due to thermal expansion.

As a work around to temperature, why not just weigh the fluid that comes out and replace with an equal weight?

Alternatively, why not let the old fluid stand until it comes to room temperature and replace with an equal volume of room temperature new fluid?

Lastly, any links to changing the rear diff fluid, particularly the refill level (until it pours out?), would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You can certainly replace exactly what you took out. And as you are already aware, be careful about the volume change as a function of temperature (coefficient of thermal expansion or CTE). Assuming no leaks and very limited evaporation thru the breather, you should be able to match the factory fill. My inclination would be to add a few ounces extra to make up for minor losses over 3 years.

Assuming this is like the U660, there is probably an overflow/dip tube in the pan plug that you will have to remove to actually be able to use that as a drain. Oh, and make sure you can open the fill port before you do the drain!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help Fibber2 and ravster2015.

Looks like finding the 75W-85W rear diff fluid is as rare as hen's teeth. My local dealer doesn't even sell quarts. They claim the use drums. I actually wonder if they use the 75W-85 themselves.

Anyhow, has anyone ever used a subsitute, like Redline? Advice? The rear diff just seems like something that isn't too picky about fluid.

Should I just accept almost triple the price increase and go with the Toyota? $17.49 vs $45.00

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I''m debating the same thing regarding the 75w85 vs 75w90. Ebay sells Red Line 75w85 two quarts for $35.29. Toyota sells their brand for $32.99 a quart. I think I will go with what arf stated and use the 75w90. A whole lot less expensive and most likely won't make a difference with the vehicle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts