Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These two topics have been covered already but I'm seriously thinking about just paying the dealer $30 to let them reprogram my keyless entry to open ALL doors with having to push the button once instead of twice like you do now and also have them turn off that annoying seat belt beeping. It's just annoying even when you have to take your seat belt off in a drive through or something when you have to grab your wallet or any other time. The dealer already told me that they would charge half an hour labor to reprogram the keyless entry and since we know that the seat belt buzzer can also be changed by the held hand computer I don't see why they couldn't easily do that at the same time. I emailed Toyota customer service hoping that they would cover it out of courtesy about this last week and still have not had a response. I haven't asked my dealer if the half hour labor charge would cover both changes but if it would I'm seriously considering it if it would. These are two nagging features I dislike.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh now that just sucks. I haven't even asked the dealer about it yet. I was thinking that they could just do it at the same time I had the keyless entry reprogrammed.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I would try to ask them and see what they say. Hey I am becoming a special need driver soon, that @#*% buzzer is driving me insane.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called them today and they will NOT turn it off. The gave me the same BS like they did when I wanted to turn off the DRL's and that it is a safety feature and they are "not allowed to disable this"

·
Registered
179 Posts
<flame>Sorry, I usually keep my mouth shut, but good for Toyota on this. To keep the prices of the cars down, they have to blow off minutia(sp?) like this. These are safety features, I don't want toyota raising their car prices to have to hire staff for people who want to turn off safety features, for free or otherwise; I'd rather their staff be working on my car maintenance than me be sitting in the waiting room while they do inconsequential things like this for someone else. If you SO DISLIKE how the remote works or that the seat belts have a beep, then pick a different car next time. Sorry but compared to people dying from cancer and being blown up in Iraq, I just don't have sympathy for complaints like this. sorry, i must be in a pissy mood tonite.</flame>

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't apologize for being in a pissy mood. My first instinct was to flame you back but then I thought about it and that's your personal opinion and we all have one and this is a free country. We all have our likes and dislikes and I knew about these dislikes before I bought the Rav4 and that was my choice....however with that being said and this being a mesage forum I should be allowed to state my thoughts just like you did and personally these are two features I don't care too much for. As far as the safety feature of this then yes I agree but their is a ton of other users on here who have started a entire thread about the seat belts so I'm not the only one who dislikes that annoying beeping from the seat belt and it does bother me that some car companies are dictating and FORCING us to change our driving habits. I do drive with my seat belt 99% of the time and the only time it is removed is when I have to take it off in a drive through or something like that or if I drive to the gas station which is one block from my house but it's the principal of it that I have no control over my own vehicle. Just like DRL's we can't even control our headlights and yes that is a safety feature to that I'm not to crazy about. "I" should not be forced to have to drive with my lights on or wear my seat belt, that is an option that "I" should be able to control.

·
Registered
252 Posts
cusack said:
"I" should not be forced to have to drive with my lights on or wear my seat belt, that is an option that "I" should be able to control.
I agree about everyone having an opinion. But that is where law comes in. It overrides opinions and forces you to obey a rule. I think when it comes to safety, laws should be put in place and take precedent over opinion. For example, here in Canada, DRLs and seatbelts are law. Car manufacturers purposely make it difficult to bypass things that are required by law.

My own take is that you can do whatever you want to your own vehicle as long as it doesn't affect me or any other fellow driver on the road. Want to drive with no seatbelt? Go for it, as long as I'm not paying your hospital bills (we do in Ontario). Want to turn off your DRLs? No way. If your DRLs are off and everyone else's are on, you are harder to see. Your chances of causing or being involved in an accident have gone up. That affects ME so I don't want to see any DRLs disabled.

By the way, we've had DRLs here for many years and you WILL just get used to them. It's strange to see any vehicles without them now. If I see one, I know that it's either old or from the US. Even US drivers will put on their headlights when driving in Canada. Seen that many times.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I solved the DRL problem easy. I disconnected all lights except for brack lights and turn signals.

Yea that means I can't drive after dusk, but that's a small sacrafice to pay so I don't have the DLR's on.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Janos,

Are you serious? You hate the DRL's that bad that you actually disconnected the headlights all together? I was the one who started this topic in the first place but I would never go through all that trouble, besides what if I did want to drive at night? The DRL's are starting to grow on me but I do think if there was an easy way to turn them off I would.
What you should have done is just opened the fuse box under the hood and removed all the relays that say DIMM HEAD. This will disable the DRL's but your highbeams won't work anymore but at the very least you still have headlights and it's better than what you have now which is NO headlights.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sure wish Toyota uses their saved pennies from reprogramming alarms and buzzers by making the side curtain airbags standard on the RAV4. I smell hypocrisy in the air.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts