Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Just wondering if anyone can pin point what the problem may be. I have 99 Rav4 and the seat belt light does not go off.

·
Registered
779 Posts
...try wearing a seatbelt! :roll:

...sorry I could not resist.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same here. I have been to busy to check, but it may be due to a sensor being unplugged under the seat?

Anyone else got ideas?

·
Registered
16 Posts
My seat belt light didn't turn off when I first bought the car as well.

I brought it back to the dealer to fix the problem. I also thought it was the senor or some minor problem. They eventually have to replace a new seat belt to make the light working correctly.

The manager told me that it would cost about 100 bucks (parts and labor) but he replaced it as a "favor." In my opinion? Yeah.. definitely a defect.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the seat belt connector under the seat has been unplugged, the light will not come on after all. It's something to do with the seat belt clip. Something must have come loose in there. Check it out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
it happened to me a couple months ago
then i opened the plastic cover that goes on the side right on the seatbelt then i could see 2 wires y disconnect one the the light went off
the problem is not with the buckle the problem is the pretensioner needs to be replaced i went to the delaer then they told me that it's gonna cost me around 200 bucks that is insane!!!

good luck guys

·
Registered
779 Posts
Sods law. I make a joke about the seatbelt and mine breaks! Question: How do pre-tensioners work? Can seatbelts be replaced without replacing them? I think my pre-tensioners are fine but the seat belt will not retract at all. It sits limp and is useless.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stupid Seatbelt light - Arrrgh!

Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. Sometimes the light works correctly. Then, It's off in the retracted position, on when it's connected, but off if I pull it all the way out. :wall

Is there anyway to just disable the stupid thing? Can I unplug it or something.

Thanks for a great group! :D

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seat Belt Light fix

The Seatbelt light in my 99 Rav4 stays on in the locked position. Damn annoying! Dealer wants my first born just to look at it. Did some hunting and found the fix:

1. Slide driver seat all the way forward with seat back forward.
2. Grab the center post cover just where the seatbelt disappears and pull out.
3. Locate the retractor unit near the bottom of the post.
4. There are 2 plugs near the retractor: A yellow plug for the Airbags and a white plug with 2 wires (about 1” above and to the rear of the yellow plug).
5. Squeeze and pull out the WHITE plug.
6. Replace the post cover
7. Done!

Seatbelt light perminately off. No more flashing!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Re: Seat Belt Light fix

cruzer said:
The Seatbelt light in my 99 RAV4 stays on in the locked position. Damn annoying! Dealer wants my first born just to look at it. Did some hunting and found the fix:

1. Slide driver seat all the way forward with seat back forward.
2. Grab the center post cover just where the seatbelt disappears and pull out.
3. Locate the retractor unit near the bottom of the post.
4. There are 2 plugs near the retractor: A yellow plug for the Airbags and a white plug with 2 wires (about 1” above and to the rear of the yellow plug).
5. Squeeze and pull out the WHITE plug.
6. Replace the post cover
7. Done!

Seatbelt light perminately off. No more flashing!
That's one of the very first things I did.

Here's a pic:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey sig isnt there a way to fix it so that it operate as it use to coz my 99 has the same problem and i dont want to disconnect it at all i would like to fix the problem but not by disconnecting it

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this problem as well, I would like to know if unplugging the white plug has any effect on the airbag or pretensors? I would like to fix the flashing light but not at the cost of reducing the safety features of the car so significantly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts