Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's mainly in the back seats. The belts have a tendancy of locking while trying to extend them....basically, when you pull them out, it locks up about 1/8 of the way out, and you have to play with the belt to get it to fully extend.

I brought it to Toyota, but they say that there's no problems with it....but the problem still persists.

Anyone had this happen to them and were able to fix it themselves? I'm thinking of just bringing it back to Toyota and have them fix it, but I don't want them to charge me a lot for something that I can fix myself. Thanks, all!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think that issue is related with some kind of safety feature implemented to be used when using child seats in the backseats. In some situations the seatbelt needs to be locked so the kid will not extend it and will stay at the same length all the time, I think.

To unlock it or release this feature you must retract the seatbelt completly before trying to pull it out again. I can not tell you how to get it lock in the first place, but somehow my kid does it every time. I think it is something with pull it out and then back a little bit, but not sure.

But for once I think the guys at the Toyota dealership are right, for a change, that is the way is suppose to work, at least in mine.
Hope this help.
Ed

·
Registered
432 Posts
If I remeber correctly, when pulling out the belt there is some safety feature that will lock it, if you pull it at more than a certain angle (i.e. 45 degrees) I've had the situation occasionally and I remeber reading something to that nature.

Sorry about the being so vague :D

·
Registered
392 Posts
Have you tried pulling on the seatbelt slowly? That usually works. Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried about everything. I just gets annoying when the bloody thing takes forever to put on. I've tried the slow thing, don't work. I've tried the angle thing, don't work. So far, my cousin found that tugging on the belt several thousand times works, but it's very cumbersome, albeit annoying.

I was thinking if there was a way to hack at the rectractor thing, I'll try to make it so the saftey doesn't kick in immediately, but kicks in when it's supposed to....did that make any sense?

Anyone have a diagram of the belt retractor or something? How it works.

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
Ryo said:
Anyone have a diagram of the belt retractor or something? How it works.
I tore into mine awhile back, attempting to fix a retractor problem. Didn't have much luck. Here are the instructions I used ---> http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/minutemods/seatbelt/ <--- It's pretty much a sealed unit. I'd be worried about screwing something up and not having them work properly (in an accident) if you messed around with the safety catch :(

Here's the discussion about the retractor problem ---> http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=121

1 - 6 of 6 Posts