Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So seems like I keep discovering new flaws in my new 2017 Rav4 XLE Hybrid.

So over this Thanksgiving family members were visiting us. So got a chance to fill the rear seat with 2 adults and a child car seat with a 7yr old in it.

To my surprise, the child was able to maneuver and get out of the child seat just by pushing the seat belt lightly away. And the freaky thing is the car was going at 75mph+ at that time.
The rear seat adults also were concerned about the fact that there seat belts were too loose. Same is the case for front seats too.

Basically, the seat belts don't lock until you tug at them super hard and super fast. This is a solid safety issue. Worthy of recall.
But, I am worried that if I go to the Toyota dealership, they are just gonna claim that seat belt being this loose is just normal.

So thought of asking the forum members if this is their experience too with the 4th gen Rav4 ?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
That's how the seat belts are designed to work, always have been. They retract and lock in a crash in concert with the air bags. This might be a good time to read over the manual.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
That's how the seat belts are designed to work, always have been. They retract and lock in a crash in concert with the air bags. This might be a good time to read over the manual.
Yeah, where has sriscoop been or is his/hers a fake post?

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
All seat belts have some movement built into them. If they didn't you would be stuck in a no movement position. Perhaps the child was not strapped in properly.

Reactions: sriscoop

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Seat belts normally allow a free range of motion to make the passengers feel more comfortable and therefore more likely to use their belts.

When using the belt to anchor a child's seat, the belt should first be extended completely, and then allowed to retract to the desired length. This procedure will lock the belt and prevent a child from just pushing it away as the OP witnessed.

If the OP feels uncomfortable with the ability to move around freely in his seat, and prefers a belt that gets tighter with every bump, then he can also lock his own seat belt by following the procedure below.

By the way, this procedure has been copied from the RAV4 owner's manual, but it is not unique to just the RAV 4. I believe that all cars I have been in during the last 20 years work the same way.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Yup.

If you need to lock it down to secure a package or child seat, pull it all the way out and retract to the desired tension, otherwise it'll freely extend unless under hard cornering/deceleration, or upon impact.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all informative responses. I didn't know that bit about pulling the seat belt completely to lock it for child seat restraint. I have always only the child seat's own seat belts to secure the child. (obviously the child seat itself was latched to the seat).

Maybe my experience seem to have been slightly different. I have generally found that tugging the seat belt with moderate force causes it to lock. In this case I have to pull extremely hard (fast) to get the seat belt to lock in my Rav4.
I drove a Toyota Avalon for a month till just a few weeks back. Its seat belts locked at even light tug.
In the last 4 months I have driven 10+ makes/models of sedans/SUVs (admittedly most of them rental), and this Rav4 seat belt seems to be the most loose of all. It takes a considerably faster jerk on them to see them getting locked.

Again, as you all seem to indicate, this might be normal behavior for a seat belt.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
I have seen our State Police give a demonstration on how to properly install a child safety seat. They attach the belt through the seat and then lean on it with their body weight and pull the belt so it latches, then release. The troopers here will gladly demonstrate to anyone who asks.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
It seems like the OP knows how much tension is regularly in seat belts (not talking about the child seat installation ).
If I were you, I would take the car to the dealer and ask them to check your seat belts against other cars on their lot and take it from there.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
When decelerating to a stop at red lights (foot depressing brake pedal) I've been 'locked in' to my seat so that I couldn't move around to even adjust the radio. Once the vehicle comes to a stop then the seat-belt slackens up.

Reactions: sriscoop

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It seems like the OP knows how much tension is regularly in seat belts (not talking about the child seat installation ).
If I were you, I would take the car to the dealer and ask them to check your seat belts against other cars on their lot and take it from there.
Thanks. Yes, that is my plan. To check a couple of other rav4s on the dealers' lot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts