Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have issues with their RAV4.1 and their seatbelts ??? it appears that both driver and passenger side seatbelts dont retract completely after unbuckled... they need a little help to go back in their compartment....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Both have a similar problem on our RAV4.

They retract very slowly.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My '98 has the same problem - but the wife drives it now so I don't think about it untill I get into it - I like to drive it but she says I gave it to her - so go drive your own car. She sure is glad she has it now with all the snow we are getting.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I was watching CNN tonight and I saw some footage from Washington state where military tanks had snow plows on and were clearing the streets...

G

·
I also had the same problem with my wife's 98 ravie on the rear driver side...got a new one at my local junkyard for $50 bux and all is good.

Check your local wrecking yard.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Toysport said:
I also had the same problem with my wife's 98 ravie on the rear driver side...got a new one at my local junkyard for $50 bux and all is good.

Check your local wrecking yard.
Yeah one of my seat belt quit retracting too, probably because of having a child car seat hooked up for 5 years. I checked the junk yard and didn't find any. Had to pay the dealer $150 for a whole seat belt unit.....one disadvantage of owning a Toyota, if it was a Honda they will fix seat belts free for the life of the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mohit said:
The front seat belts on my 96 RAV also need help when retracting. There was talk about this seat belt issue on the RAV4OZ.com forums recently.
Cool... thanks I found it... seems like noone has a solution...

G

·
There is a solution - replace the belt

I'm suprised you pay $150 they are only £50 in the UK (approx $100) - I thought you guys usually get stuff cheaper

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
My seat belts have the same problem :cry:

I just got done attempting this fix ( http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/minutemods/seatbelt/ ) to the driver's side belt. I was able to tighten about 3 1/2 more turns on the spring (though 1/2 turns don't count). Put everything back together and on a scale of 1-10 I'd say this fix rates a 3. The belt retracts a little better... but not much. :?

My next attempt at fix will be this ---->
http://rav4world.com/tsb/BO019-01.pdf

If that doesn't work, I'm going to live with it. For me... not worth the $50 - $100 to replace the belts. I've been dealing with this issue for 6+ years... I'm used to it. :roll:

·
Registered
27 Posts
My '96 2 dr is having the same problem on the drivers' side...I bought 2 replacements at TAP & they BOTH failed to retract when properly installed...I'm going to try the fix.

·
Super Moderator
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
apache said:
My '96 2 dr is having the same problem on the drivers' side...I bought 2 replacements at TAP & they BOTH failed to retract when properly installed...I'm going to try the fix.
How much did they charge you for them, and did they guarantee they would work ?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Kelly Smith said:
Correct! As discussed earlier in this thread -

My next attempt at fix will be this ---->
http://rav4world.com/tsb/BO019-01.pdf
Joel had ordered the kit and was going to give it a try. Waiting for his results before I follow up :?
I have the kit, but, sorry, it's not installed yet. :oops:

I will do the follow up as soon it's installed.

I will try to do that this week-end.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.