Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have issues with their RAV4.1 and their seatbelts ??? it appears that both driver and passenger side seatbelts dont retract completely after unbuckled... they need a little help to go back in their compartment....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Both have a similar problem on our RAV4.

They retract very slowly.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My '98 has the same problem - but the wife drives it now so I don't think about it untill I get into it - I like to drive it but she says I gave it to her - so go drive your own car. She sure is glad she has it now with all the snow we are getting.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stelly said:
She sure is glad she has it now with all the snow we are getting.
Snow ??? where in Washington are you? I lived in Seattle for a few years and didn't really see any... you up north ?

·
Registered
986 Posts
I was watching CNN tonight and I saw some footage from Washington state where military tanks had snow plows on and were clearing the streets...

T

·
0 Posts
I also had the same problem with my wife's 98 ravie on the rear driver side...got a new one at my local junkyard for $50 bux and all is good.

Check your local wrecking yard.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Toysport said:
I also had the same problem with my wife's 98 ravie on the rear driver side...got a new one at my local junkyard for $50 bux and all is good.

Check your local wrecking yard.
Yeah one of my seat belt quit retracting too, probably because of having a child car seat hooked up for 5 years. I checked the junk yard and didn't find any. Had to pay the dealer $150 for a whole seat belt unit.....one disadvantage of owning a Toyota, if it was a Honda they will fix seat belts free for the life of the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow... seems to be a common problem on the RAV4.1. I wonder if there were any service bulletins for this problem ?? :?:

·
Registered
682 Posts
The front seat belts on my 96 RAV also need help when retracting. There was talk about this seat belt issue on the RAV4OZ.com forums recently.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mohit said:
The front seat belts on my 96 RAV also need help when retracting. There was talk about this seat belt issue on the RAV4OZ.com forums recently.
Cool... thanks I found it... seems like noone has a solution...

A

·
0 Posts
There is a solution - replace the belt

I'm suprised you pay $150 they are only £50 in the UK (approx $100) - I thought you guys usually get stuff cheaper

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
My seat belts have the same problem :cry:

I just got done attempting this fix ( http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/minutemods/seatbelt/ ) to the driver's side belt. I was able to tighten about 3 1/2 more turns on the spring (though 1/2 turns don't count). Put everything back together and on a scale of 1-10 I'd say this fix rates a 3. The belt retracts a little better... but not much. :?

My next attempt at fix will be this ---->
http://rav4world.com/tsb/BO019-01.pdf

If that doesn't work, I'm going to live with it. For me... not worth the $50 - $100 to replace the belts. I've been dealing with this issue for 6+ years... I'm used to it. :roll:

·
Registered
27 Posts
My '96 2 dr is having the same problem on the drivers' side...I bought 2 replacements at TAP & they BOTH failed to retract when properly installed...I'm going to try the fix.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
apache said:
My '96 2 dr is having the same problem on the drivers' side...I bought 2 replacements at TAP & they BOTH failed to retract when properly installed...I'm going to try the fix.
How much did they charge you for them, and did they guarantee they would work ?

·
Registered
542 Posts
i have seen a tsb for this. it involves cleaning and putting some kind of tape on the top belt guide (or whatever you call the thing the belt runs through at the top)..

hope you can find it..

·
Registered
122 Posts
Kelly Smith said:
Correct! As discussed earlier in this thread -

My next attempt at fix will be this ---->
http://rav4world.com/tsb/BO019-01.pdf
Joel had ordered the kit and was going to give it a try. Waiting for his results before I follow up :?
I have the kit, but, sorry, it's not installed yet. :oops:

I will do the follow up as soon it's installed.

I will try to do that this week-end.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts