Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts about installing a 70 amp 2003 Rav4 1az-fe alternator in my 2.4 I4 2006 Rav4 2az-fe engine? Car parts are somewhat expensive in my country and I found a deal in an alternator similar to: NEW ALTERNATOR 2.4L TOYOTA CAMRY SOLARA 02 03 RAV4 2001-05 334-1482 13957 | eBay and BRAND NEW 2001 2002 2003 Toyota Rav4 2.0L Alternator | eBay.

I'm also looking for Hilux or Tacoma alternators that could fit my car. I'll send part numbers upon more investigation. I have to do extensive searches because ironically some 120 amp alternators could prove to be cheaper, but are from other Toyota models. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
You are better off getting something that is made for your car otherwise you may have more problems. A used alternator may be an alternative from a salvage yard if price is important.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are better off getting something that is made for your car otherwise you may have more problems. A used alternator may be an alternative from a salvage yard if price is important.
There are no salvage yards in my city. I'm thinking I could use a higher amp alternator as "Amperage is basically the amount of electrical current your alternator can supply. And it basically operates off of supply and demand. That is, your alternator will only supply the amount of amperage a particular component demands, and no more. So high-output alternators will not harm your components or charging system, no matter how high you go with the amps"

And that could prove the contrary: if my electronics doesn't draw too many amps, it might suffice a lower amp alternator. Source: Alt Text: 5 Things You Should Know Before Using a High-Output Alternator - OnAllCylinders

So what would be perfect, is if someone has experience in using a lower o higher alternator, how he chose one, and what modifications were necessary besides a larger fuse :)

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
I'm thinking I could use a higher amp alternator as "Amperage is basically the amount of electrical current your alternator can supply. And it basically operates off of supply and demand. That is, your alternator will only supply the amount of amperage a particular component demands, and no more. So high-output alternators will not harm your components or charging system, no matter how high you go with the amps." ... and what modifications were necessary besides a larger fuse?
While that's basically correct the limiting factor isn't the fuse it's the wiring which is sized for the original alternator. And within reason, say a 20% Amperage increase, you'd be okay unless you've added heavy draw loads such a big inverter - which I've done and burned out the 140A sized terminal on a 200A alternator on my F-250.

The bigger concern IMO is mounting differences among the various alternators. I'd think one from another 2.4L Toyota would have the best chance of fitting but buying online and having to return one if it doesn't fit would probably cost more in the long run.

Reactions: JaimeCarlos
1 - 5 of 5 Posts