Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys. I have the ultimate camping solution for you. I discovered a feature a year ago, and it's phenomenal the capability it gives you. I've camped in here with complete comfort on dozens of weekend trips and even on a month long trip around the US. I've also fit one other person with complete comfort, and had the entire luggage area free. As far as I know, no other car is able to do this. This feature is why I'll keep this car until it gets totaled (because it sure as hell isn't gonna die).

How do you do this? Well, the RAV4 has the ability to turn the front and back seats into two separate platforms. Normally, the seats look like this. _/ _/. What you do is you remove the headrest of the front seats, push it all the way forward, then recline it 90 degrees, as so.
IMG_0079_Original.jpg

However, that platform on its own is not comfortable. I have several sleepless nights as evidence. It's not level. After several more sleepness nights, I've found a solution. In order to make a comfortable platform, you first need two pillows. One pillow goes on the front seating platform (closest to the dash) and one on the back seating platform. This levels everything out. On top of that, you put an air pad. The ones that are narrow enough to fit are the camping ones. I use an REI pad. Then on top of that you put your bedding.

On a budget, you could also use a Z-lite, but ensure it's on top of two pillows.

Now, let's talk about sizing. I'm 6'0". The platform is around 5'8". I fit comfortably if I curl up, or put my feet on the dash while I'm sleeping. Even with my air pad, I haven't had complete comfort, but now I have a different system. I have two pillows underneath, a Z-lite on top, and then a 3 inch thick memory foam mattress on top of that (which I cut to fit). Then, your bedding of course.

Here's an action shot from a negative temperatures day in the Whites.

I haven't seen any other threads pertaining to this "feature". If there are, I'd love to be linked to some and see what other systems people have come up with. If not, I hope you make good use of this. It's really solidified this car as the ultimate adventure mobile. I only have one regret, and it's that I don't have the V6. Other than that, it's perfect.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Greetings from the 112. I stripped mine of most sleeping goodies and did similar with the driver backrest. I slept diagonally using the way reclined seat as a pillow (without headrest). Just removed my second backseat. Not sure what the hell to do now, guess I'm front seat bound. I also got stuck with the 4 and removing weight is my new fetish. Spare tire always bugs me and it's heavy for sure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I tried to do this in mine and it does not look like the second row goes back far enough, I have a 3rd row RAV4 so maybe they don't let them go that far back due to the 3rd row.

·
Registered
590 Posts
This was a feature in the 4.1 that carried into at least the 4.3 (although with more comfortable seats for driving, sleeping comfort suffers!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts