Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called my local Toyota dealership to inquire about installing the security alarm kit available for the regular 2016 RAV4s, but for my RAV4 Hybrid Limited. The Parts representative thought the Security Alarm would not work for the hybrid model because of the different wiring configuration. Unlike the Remote Engine Starter – which the Toyota website clearly states will not work for the hybrid model, the Security Alarm does not have the same disclosure/indication for the hybrid model. Has anyone encountered this issue or installed a different alarm system for their RAV4 Hybrid?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the Hybrid XLE with alarm & remote starter from dealer. It works well although I have yet used the remote starter.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i was told the same thing when i asked why the security system was showing as not available on the brochure for the hybrid. ie. not compatible with the wiring.

but now bomba says his has one. i'm so confused.

what features does the alarm offer? does it arm/disarm with the existing remote, or is there another fob?

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is on the same remote. I remote start the RAV4 by triple tapping the lock key.

I got it because the RAV4 stays outside, so I thought that I might needed for the cold weather. So far, the RAV4 heats up quickly, so I haven't had a need to use it. We had a mild winter, so I will have to wait til next winter to see if it was a good investment.

I have the Hybrid XLE, so I'm not sure if the issue is only with the Limited version of the Hybrid. But I can assure that it can be installed on the Hybrid XLE from Toyota.

·
Registered
48 Posts
is it reliable? what features does the alarm offer on it's own? i've had trouble in the past with baldly installed aftermarket units, as well as overpriced factory alarms that are outdated and do very little other than drain the battery...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thumper,

Just be clear, I have the smart key with the remote starter. The features I could do from the remote is lock, unlock, panic button, open/close hatch & remote start the RAV4.

I do not have the security alarm with the impact sensors.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called my Toyota dealership again and asked if they would install the security alarm available for the conventional RAV4s for my Hybrid Limited. He said the dealership's technicians likely would be unwilling to install it because my VIN number indicates that there are no parts available for the security system for the Hybrid. Don't know why Toyota just didn't include an alarm system for the Hybrid Limited - would have preferred that over the crappy "premium" JBL stereo system that it came with. I guess I'll just have to shop around for an aftermarket alarm system.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I called my Toyota dealership again and asked if they would install the security alarm available for the conventional RAV4s for my Hybrid Limited. He said the dealership's technicians likely would be unwilling to install it because my VIN number indicates that there are no parts available for the security system for the Hybrid. Don't know why Toyota just didn't include an alarm system for the Hybrid Limited - would have preferred that over the crappy "premium" JBL stereo system that it came with. I guess I'll just have to shop around for an aftermarket alarm system.
There's no alarm system in the 2016 Limited Hybrid?? I guess I never even thought about it, figured it was standard. It was on my '99 Accord, after all. That suddenly pisses me off! How many thieves out there know this??:mad:

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
There's no alarm system in the 2016 Limited Hybrid?? I guess I never even thought about it, figured it was standard. It was on my '99 Accord, after all. That suddenly pisses me off! How many thieves out there know this??:mad:
Every tried to steal a Toyota hybrid with key-less ignition? You can't, unless you trailer it. The system is just as secure without an alarm as it is with one.

That said, alarms accomplish nothing except to inform you that your car has been broken into - after the fact. They are not a deterrent, nor do they prevent someone from messing up your car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
For future buyers, if you want to have an alarm system you would have to choose a car that came with one. I called my dealership today to add an alarm system and they said Toyota currently cannot install after-sale alarm systems for Rav4 Hybrids.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For future buyers, if you want to have an alarm system you would have to choose a car that came with one. I called my dealership today to add an alarm system and they said Toyota currently cannot install after-sale alarm systems for Rav4 Hybrids.
Toyota can't but 3rd parties can. My dealer actually billed me for a viper alarm and had the shop down the street do it. They did this cause it is under warranty now. I had them add the viper smart start module as well.

Everything works fine.

This was Arlington Toyota in Illinois if you want to call and ask about it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Great dealership - That's where I bought my Rav4 Hybrid. They also have a very good service department and body shop - hopefully won't be needing that anytime soon. I got the remote start but not the alarm as I don't think the alarm adds much to the engine immobilizer that is standard on the hybrid system.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Toyota can't but 3rd parties can. My dealer actually billed me for a viper alarm and had the shop down the street do it. They did this cause it is under warranty now. I had them add the viper smart start module as well.

Everything works fine.

This was Arlington Toyota in Illinois if you want to call and ask about it.
But will the alarm connect with your key? In other words, you wont need a second set?

·
Registered
2 Posts
But will the alarm connect with your key? In other words, you wont need a second set?

No I have 2 separate fobs; but I am ok with that to be honest cause I bought the viper smart start so technically i don't need to viper fob just have my phone.

Plus; the viper fob is only for remote start not alarm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have Viper & now my '16 HYB RAV4 OEM Key FOB works

My daughter bought her '16 Ltd RAV4 Hybrid in Dec '15. She liked it so much and was getting 40 mpg that I decided to trade-in my '14 Avalon Ltd Hybrid for an identical one to hers. I added the tow package & remote starter (RS). When I picked it up is when I realized it wasn't a Toyota RS unit but a Viper LCD 2-way. Nice unit as my wife's Tundra has it but it WAS a requirement to have just ONE key FOB.

Long story short, the Toyota Key FOB had essentially stopped working and the Viper unit wasn't locking / unlocking the vehicle - it was ONLY a remote starter - stupid! They spoke to the installer and after a couple of days they determined they needed to upgrade the unit to the SmartStart system. I was okay with this as it kept me to one key FOB even if the remote start function was performed by my smartphone as I liked that feature and other features that came with the system. At first I thought the SmartStart would just cost more to buy but in fact, it also has a subscription cost. The dealer & installer agreed to pay for the first 3 years which I was okay with since it is 50-50 if I keep a vehicle longer than that.

I'm sharing all of this to get to this - after they installed the SmartStart "stuff" (whatever the control module is), my Toyota key FOB now works with the triple tap just like it was a Toyota Remote Start system. I figured it out after I owned the vehicle for 2 months. I often hit the lock button 2 or 3 times when I park in a parking lot. I would notice the vehicle was on and even had people coming up to me saying "Did you know your vehicle is on". Yes, it took several of these situations to realize my key FOB was now remote start enabled. Not sure if it will still work after the SmartStart subscription expires since I've only had it ~6 months.

I do like the SmartStart system as I can check the unit from anywhere I'm at and on the rare occasion like recently when I was running late to a meeting and left it unlocked I was able to lock it while on the 5th floor of a office building with the vehicle parked in a lot across the street - very convenient. Toyota's OEM remote doesn't reach that far!

It's been a year since the Hybrid has been available and Toyota should have a remote start unit available now. It's understandable if everything isn't there on day 1 but not day 365.

Also, whether it was my '07 Prius or '14 Avalon, both with a Toyota remote start of my wife's '16 Tundra and my '16 RAV4 Hybrid, both with a Viper unit - the unit shuts down either when the brake is pushed or doors unlocked. OEM or not is not able to circumvent this apparently.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I don't understand the purpose of an additional security system. Like most any vehicles sold these days, they will not start without the key/fob, and cannot be hot wired. Unless the thieves have time to hack into one of the computers, it seems the cars are safe as is. Vehicles can always be towed away with or without a security system.

What am I missing????????????

·
Registered
2 Posts
All about the Remote Start capability

For myself, my wife and soon my daughter for Christmas - shhh, don't say anything as its a surprise. It is all about the remote start capability. Other features & capabilities often come along with the RS as it does with the Viper Smart Start, which are simply benefits to us. To others they may be #1 & #2. For me, Remote Start was #1. #2 was a single FOB and #3 was a bonus with the ability to verify if the vehicle is locked while separated from the vehicle - convenient to have.

What is still disappointing is that Toyota does not offer a Remote Start product for their 2016+ RAV4 Hybrids and per one of my local Toyota dealers who called the mothership, there were no plans to do so.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
I don't understand the purpose of an additional security system. Like most any vehicles sold these days, they will not start without the key/fob, and cannot be hot wired. Unless the thieves have time to hack into one of the computers, it seems the cars are safe as is. Vehicles can always be towed away with or without a security system.

What am I missing????????????
Unless you keep your smart key in a metal box at home, the signals from it can be received, amplified, and used to start and steal your car.

How Hackers Can Use Smart Keys To Steal Cars

How To Protect Your Car From Keyless-Entry Hacks | Edmunds.com

Keyless Entry is Still An Unsecure Means of Protecting Your Car | BestRide

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Unless you keep your smart key in a metal box at home, the signals from it can be received, amplified, and used to start and steal your car.

How Hackers Can Use Smart Keys To Steal Cars

How To Protect Your Car From Keyless-Entry Hacks | Edmunds.com

Keyless Entry is Still An Unsecure Means of Protecting Your Car | BestRide

AFAIK there's not a single report of the Toyota SmartKey system being hacked. Keyless entry hacks are a different thing completely, and only gain entry into the car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts