Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just buy 2nd hand 2003 rav4 here at new york.....

can you please advise how i can activate the security or theft alarm? i'm not sure if this is installed or equip in my 2nd hand rav4. :?

thanks in advance!

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you're not sure, go to the dealership and ask if it is included. If it isn't go on ahead and get it installed. I recommend you to go to a TOYOTA dealership and put the system into your lovely car! If any other Q's go on ahead and ask. Don't hesitate! :D

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I recommend going anywhere other than a Toyota dealership and getting a better system for half as much. :D

Check out some DEI branded alarms.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nouse4aname said:
I recommend going anywhere other than a Toyota dealership and getting a better system for half as much. :D

Check out some DEI branded alarms.
that is what i'm planning for in-case there is no existing alarm system on my rav4.

btw, how about VIPER brand (including remote starter) is it compatible with rav4. pls give me some advise.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Viper is one of DEI's products, yes they're very good.

I don't like having a factory alarm...then the theif knows exactly what you have.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Portege_RAV4 said:
btw, how about VIPER brand (including remote starter) is it compatible with RAV4. pls give me some advise.
I got a Viper 350HV installed at Best Buy the day after I bought my 2005 for about $200 out the door. It doesn't have the auto starter, but it does do keyless entry (which is the primary reason I bought it). My car's a manual tranny, so auto-start wouldn't have worked for me anyway.

In any event, they do have an auto-start model but I forgot the price. The $200 I paid was about 1/3 the cost the dealer was trying to charge me with installation for the OEM model, and I have no complaints with the unit whatsoever. Works like a champ.

Wayne

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wayne said:
Portege_RAV4 said:
btw, how about VIPER brand (including remote starter) is it compatible with RAV4. pls give me some advise.
I got a Viper 350HV installed at Best Buy the day after I bought my 2005 for about $200 out the door. It doesn't have the auto starter, but it does do keyless entry (which is the primary reason I bought it). My car's a manual tranny, so auto-start wouldn't have worked for me anyway.

In any event, they do have an auto-start model but I forgot the price. The $200 I paid was about 1/3 the cost the dealer was trying to charge me with installation for the OEM model, and I have no complaints with the unit whatsoever. Works like a champ.

Wayne

i dont trust best buy....i'll try at auto zone here at kingston ny, but not sure if they do installation.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Portege_RAV4 said:
i dont trust best buy....
I'm not promoting Best Buy either. Just the Alarm.

Sucker, erm, I mean Circuit City has the exact same alarm with a different name brand on it (Python) for about the same prices. That's the thing that DEI does. Visit Viper.com to see the 20 something brand names that they sell the same stuff under.

Wayne

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wayne said:
Portege_RAV4 said:
i dont trust best buy....
I'm not promoting Best Buy either. Just the Alarm.

Sucker, erm, I mean Circuit City has the exact same alarm with a different name brand on it (Python) for about the same prices. That's the thing that DEI does. Visit Viper.com to see the 20 something brand names that they sell the same stuff under.

Wayne
circuit city? do they sell and install remote starter?

·
Registered
214 Posts
nouse4aname said:
Yes they do.

But I'd rather have a car stereo/alarm place do it than Best Buy/Circuit City.
Well, that's an opinion, and I'm sure you have your reasons, but at least around here, all the guys that work at both stores grew up working in "car stereo/alarm places".

Of course I can't speak for everyone in every installation department but the job that Matthew (Best Buy / Huntsville) did installing my Viper alarm was second to none. He even beveled the inset for the alarm LED and cablewrapped all the wires, both inside and out.

It's really up to the original poster and his gut feeling about such things, but hey, it's just installing an alarm. While out of the reach of some (myself included) it's not exactly rocket science.

Wayne

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ei guys, what do you think of Python Remote Start/Keyless Entry System (Python 1400XP).....is it ok for 2003 RAV4. im planning to go to circuit city for this one.

thanks!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Portege_RAV4 said:
ei guys, what do you think of Python Remote Start/Keyless Entry System (Python 1400XP).....is it ok for 2003 RAV4. im planning to go to circuit city for this one.

thanks!
I think it'd be just fine. Just remember that you can't (ordinarily) do remote start with a manual transmission and all should be well.

Wayne

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wayne said:
Portege_RAV4 said:

thanks!
I think it'd be just fine. Just remember that you can't (ordinarily) do remote start with a manual transmission and all should be well.

Wayne
alright i'll check it this weekend at circuit city.....btw im using a/t

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Wayne said:
Portege_RAV4 said:

thanks!

Wayne
There are plenty of remote starter options for manual transmissions these days.

They just have an arming process to make sure the car's not in gear.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ei guys!

phyton security alarm / remote starter / keyless entry..... rocks!!!

but it cost me $400 bucks at circuit city!!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Portege_RAV4 said:
ei guys!

I'm glad you like it, but what exactly did they charge you for? The 1400XP is only $199

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wayne said:
Portege_RAV4 said:
ei guys!

I'm glad you like it, but what exactly did they charge you for? The 1400XP is only $199
i got 871xp model.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts