Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that Homelink in the mirror works even with the car totally off and in park.

This is a very serious security issue given that if the car is accidentally left unlocked, or someone breaks the car window, they can open my garage doors using the Homelink mirror.

It would have been so simple to have Homelink be enabled only if there is key fob near the vehicle, or the vehicle is on. :mad:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
You can remove the Homelink mirror. I guess someone assumed that if you have a garage opener, the car will be inside the garage. Your other option is to de-program the Homelink and go back to using the original opener fob.

That said, its pretty easy to break open a garage door, opener or not.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I noticed that Homelink in the mirror works even with the car totally off and in park.
If this is the case then your 12V supply isn't from a switched source.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
My Gentex mirror was installed at the port of entry. They wired it to only work when the ignition is ON, and so I wired my Homelink to the mirror's power cable.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
The mirror I have in the 2017 is also a Gentex, just a newer model.

https://www.amazon.com/Gentex-Frameless-Auto-Dimming-Homelink-50-genk85a/dp/B00PXH3A52

Why do you think the mirror was installed in port and wired there also? :confused: And not at the factory.
It's listed on the window sticker as a port installed option along with the body side molding and simulated wood grain trim.

I'm thinking your Gentex mirror has separate power wires for mirror operation and Homelink, otherwise the green power light on your mirror would be lit up all the time. So all you need to do is connect the Homelink power wire to the mirror power wire. Then both would be switched off at the same time.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's listed on the window sticker as a port installed option along with the body side molding and simulated wood grain trim.
Interesting. My window sticker didn't have any mention of port installed options. And I didn't see that on any other Toyota when shopping around.

I'm thinking your Gentex mirror has separate power wires for mirror operation and Homelink, otherwise the green power light on your mirror would be lit up all the time. So all you need to do is connect the Homelink power wire to the mirror power wire. Then both would be switched off at the same time.
That's probably the case. I can't figure out a reason why they would leave the Homelink as always on. Maybe it would lose the saved settings if left unplugged for days on at a time. :confused:

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
BobVila;2308721 That's probably the case. I can't figure out a reason why they would leave the Homelink as always on. Maybe it would lose the saved settings if left unplugged for days on at a time. :confused:[/QUOTE said:
Nope, mine is off when the engine is off and it has never lost its programming.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nope, mine is off when the engine is off and it has never lost its programming.

Correct. I have a 2014 Camry hybrid with Homelink and it will only work when the car is on/powered up. My 2016 Rav4 hybrid and my previous 2010 Highlander would work with vehicle off. Not sure how/why Toyota designs the same item with different parameters.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
My Homelink mirror was factory installed. Its always on for the garage opener, but other features are off when ignition is off. (compass, dimming, etc)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts