Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any comments about the RS3200 Plus security system in the 06 RAV4? At a $457. option, is it suppose to be far better than the standard run of the mill security system? What exactly is the RS3200 going to have that the standard sytem does not?

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
It is just a plain old alarm, the only advantage is that you can use your factory key to turn it on and off. If you dont mind carry another fob and the bulking factory key, then after market system is cheaper. Viper makes a remote entry alarm that can actually use the OEM key, but it works by monitoring the interior lights, not the best system in the world. The Viper system is about $525 installed, about the same as the RS3200.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I haven't kept up with the latest aftermarket security system so I can't really do a comparison. I got the VIP plus when I purchased the car. The only comment so far is about the sensitivity tuned for the glass breaking sensor. I tapped on the glass according to the owner's manual and have yet to tap hard enough to get it to go off. I can tap from the inside and it'll go off so I know it works.

There's a thread posted in the 4.2 section you can start with:

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1129&sid=b91d8b3af1fc6aa85aac2898ff9dd33e

·
Registered
168 Posts
I also have the VIP Plus (came with the truck). I get an insurance discount.

I'll have to try tapping from the inside. I tried the outside like you did puttputt and got nothing.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
kuj said:
I'll have to try tapping from the inside.
Hit the driver's door glass HARD in the center (outside) with the end of your ignition key. It should trigger the alarm :shock:

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
The G Man said:
It is just a plain old alarm, the only advantage is that you can use your factory key to turn it on and off. If you dont mind carry another fob and the bulking factory key, then after market system is cheaper. Viper makes a remote entry alarm that can actually use the OEM key, but it works by monitoring the interior lights, not the best system in the world. The Viper system is about $525 installed, about the same as the RS3200.
I'm kind of used to carrying around remotes, but I like that the new RAV doesn't use a separate fob anymore... it's built into the key head...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Could someone please scan a work order/invoice if you've a dealership installed VIP 3200 Plus after purchasing the vehicle? My dealership is playing hard ball with me. Agreed to install Toyota part during sales and now claimed part is not available and going to install a cheapy $30 part as a replacement. Got Toyota CS involved but the rep. just referred me back to the CS manager of the dealership. You could black out the VIN and payment information for privacy issue. THANKS.

·
Registered
654 Posts
kendfw, I'm not sure I'm following completely what's going on. Is this the same dealer that said you couldn't get the VIP installed in your Base aftermarket (not OEM)? Did you already pay for the VIP and now the dealer wants to substitute for another system? I'm not sure I understand how they can substitute a $395 security system with a $30 part. What's the part? If you already paid for VIP, they need to give you the option of either refunding your money or a comparible substitute if they cannot deliver on the original purchased product. Did you call another dealer in your area to see if they offer aftermarket install of the VIP?

My invoice doesn't have the VIP and LoJack as separate line items (just a total for options purchased) but I received a separate work order that listed the VIP and LoJack as paid.

My dealer had told me that they couldn't get Toyota to provide an ETA on the delivery of the VIP since the cars are so new (mid January). They weren't able to get any lead time and thought it may even take a couple of months. Finance offered to refund my money if I got tired of waiting or to substitute interior sealant at the same cost. Sevice called everyday to check up on stock and they found one in 7 days.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
no it does not. We have am immolizer key that MUST be used to turn the ignition or the engine will NOT start. This is incorperated into the 3200+ system

jimmy101 said:
for $400 you can get a state of the art compustar remote start alarm system installed. good for up to 6000 feet away.

The problem with toyota alarms is that once you turn the lock be it with a key, or a theif with a screw driver the alarm turns off!
what good is that???

http://compustar.org/security_with_remote_start.htm

·
Registered
271 Posts
puttputt said:
kendfw, I'm not sure I'm following completely what's going on. Is this the same dealer that said you couldn't get the VIP installed in your Base aftermarket (not OEM)? Did you already pay for the VIP and now the dealer wants to substitute for another system?
I purchased the vehicle with that option. They didn't have the part and I agreed to wait till the part delivered from the distribution. After several days without any status from them, I called in and found out they've not ordered it and planning to put in an aftermarket unit which I could get for $30 + installation.

BTW, I've contacted another dealership about the VIP part. They told me they could get the part from Toyota (Houston or California) within 48 hours.

Anyway... If I could get a scanned work order, I could proof to them the part was available for installation through Toyota. Right now, I'm still waiting for their customer relation manager to return my inquiry.

·
Registered
654 Posts
kendfw, unless that aftermarket product is comparable to the VIP and if they don't offer to refund the difference in cost, that can be misconstrued as bait and switch.

Can you ask for the money back and go to the other dealer? Doesn't sound like your dealer is willing to work with you, or know what they are doing. Not sure if I want them to be installing anything for me.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Actually, the sport does'nt have the immolizer key. Only the limited does, but the RS3200 does have a kill switch. If someone brakes the glass or opens the door without the key or the fob, it would kill the ignition and the thief connect start the car with a screwdriver. The hood and the truck is monitor as well, so there is no way to gain entry without locking in the kill switch. In theory if someone can pick the door lock and open it that way. It would disable the alarm, not 100% sure about that, and the thief would be able to use a screwdriver to start the car. I notice that if I use my key to open the door, it actually shuts off the alarm.
With that said, I don't know too many car thiefs that knows how to pick a lock, especially a lock with a key that is cut on both side. Most of them just breaks the window or they try to slide a jimmy down the window to open the door. In both case, the alarm will sound and the thief will go away.
The problem with the after market alarm system is that they cannot use the OEM key fob. Viper remote entry is the only system I know of that can use any OEM key fob but it doesnt have any pager function and have even less monitoring function than the RS3200, both about the same price.
BTW, I have never heard of the alarm company compustar.

·
Registered
271 Posts
puttputt said:
My dealer had told me that they couldn't get Toyota to provide an ETA on the delivery of the VIP since the cars are so new (mid January). They weren't able to get any lead time and thought it may even take a couple of months. Finance offered to refund my money if I got tired of waiting or to substitute interior sealant at the same cost. Sevice called everyday to check up on stock and they found one in 7 days.
Guess what!!! The Toyota just released the part for installation. They found the part and ordered it. It should be here for installation on Friday. On top of that, the part number that I gave them was the factory part number but not the part number for dealer. <===== Total lies from the dealership about that. I got the part number from another dealership and confirmed it with Toyota Motor.

Anyway, they scheduled for me to have it installed on Monday. I told them to show me the part before the work begins and I'm take a digital camera with me too.

For those of you waiting for that part, it's there in the distribution channel. It is a matter they wanted to do it for you or not. Otherwise, they're plaing a waiting game for pressuring you to get an aftermarket as a replacement. In addition, you can get that part on the internet but you've to look for it real hard. Since there is only one known site offering it at $288 + shipping.

Hope everyone waiting for the part getting it real soon. Enjoy the day. Sometimes, you just need to push several hot buttons to get things moving.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
All dealers are the same, they always try to sell you what they have in stock rather if it is a car or an alarm system.

I am glad everything worked out good for you. Of course you do realize that this will be their 1st attempt at installing a RS3200 in a 2006 RAV4. I would ask for their best mechanic to do the job, I insist on the mechanic foreman to do my installation and that he explain all the functions and options to me afterward.

·
Registered
271 Posts
G-Man... Thanks for the advice. The dealer has no installer. They contracted a local alarm company to install it. Apparently, this shop does aftermarket installation for most of the local dealerships. As long as the part comes from Toyota, I can always bring it to another dealership to remedy any issues.

S

·
0 Posts
I am assuming RS3200 is the same Denso part we use in Europe (called TVSS).

RS3200 is exactly like aftermarket alarm because it is one! Just custom made for Toyota. It is designed to work perfectly with your Toyota, so you wont have any problems with bad alarm installations, etc.

- You can NOT disable the alarm by opening the door via key.
- Your alarm has an starter-kill built in, so without disabling it via remote, it will not let the thief turn the vehicle on.

You can also get aftermarket system that works with your original key, exactly the same as RS3200, however you never get the same warranty with aftermarket system, and you have to make sure installer knows their job. They have to cut a lot of wires with aftermarket system, while it is all plug and play with RS3200.

If you want more features such as remote pager, then there are other aftermarket systems to use. I reccomend brand name system such as Viper or Crime Guard (which I install).

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am a little confused here. Can somebody enlighten me? I ordered my new Rav4 V6 Limited (the saleman told me my car was specifically ordered, the way I wanted it) w/ just about everything, from the JBL, tow prep, side airbags, mirror compass, interior light package, and the security system plus, splash guards, exhaust tip, rear bumper protector, and DRL's. I thought my car was going to be totally built at the Toyota factory. After reading this forum, how much of my RAV4 is going to be built at the factory, and what options is the dealer going to ATTEMPT to install? Hopefully he'll know what he's doing.... Oh one more question please. The tow prep package, some Toyota literture states oil cooler, and another doesn't. Some Toyota literture states 150 AMP alternator another states 130 AMP. What is Toyotas' problem w/ consistancy?

·
Registered
271 Posts
By looking at the option code, you can tell if the option will be put on at the dealer, distributor, or factory. Get the dealer to printout the order. If they could not, ask them to give you a model/cost simulator sheet. I think if the option is prefixed with a "P" is the port installed option (aka distributor installed). Prefixed with a "F" is the factory installed option. If you want to order without the factory installed option, be prepared to wait for at least 4 weeks or more. Most likely, they'll give it to you for free unless you've insisted to remove it upon arrival.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
4 cylinder? if so there is no tow package option. Limited already comes with the interior light package too.

inlets said:
I am a little confused here. Can somebody enlighten me? I ordered my new RAV4 V6 Limited (the saleman told me my car was specifically ordered, the way I wanted it) w/ just about everything, from the JBL, tow prep, side airbags, mirror compass, interior light package, and the security system plus, splash guards, exhaust tip, rear bumper protector, and DRL's. I thought my car was going to be totally built at the Toyota factory. After reading this forum, how much of my RAV4 is going to be built at the factory, and what options is the dealer going to ATTEMPT to install? Hopefully he'll know what he's doing.... Oh one more question please. The tow prep package, some Toyota literture states oil cooler, and another doesn't. Some Toyota literture states 150 AMP alternator another states 130 AMP. What is Toyotas' problem w/ consistancy?

1 - 20 of 111 Posts