Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Last month I had to get a locksmith to come out and get the rav out of lockout mode. Now it's put itself back into lockout mode and I cannot disengage the security using the key. Is there anything I can do without using the computer a locksmith plugs in? Pretty lame to have to keep paying someone to do this, any possible reasons for this happening?

I've tried locking and unlocking the car, with and without remote. Unplugging battery and pumping the brake and reconnecting battery. Also yelled at it.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
Since you didn't put any information on your profile page, there isn't much I can suggest. What is the model year of your RAV4? Is it 4WD or FWD? Are you in the U.S., Canada, or some other country? Did you have a factory or aftermarket alarm system installed?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Have you tried disarming alarm by using key in either of the front door key cylinders? Is this a oem alarm? Aftermarket? If aftermarket find relay interface at ignition switch wiring under dash and steering column area. Put factory wiring back together and remove problem alarm and components if necessary.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its oem, there is not a single thing on this car that is aftermarket. The little security light next to the steering wheel does not disengage. Last time, i had to get a locksmith to come out, use his portable computer to connect to the car and manually disengage.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
This sounds like the immobiliser system which was not used on the RAV4 here in the US until the 2006 Limited model as far as I know. My 2008 has the immobiliser, and it works by embedding a small chip in the head of the key. When you insert a key into the ignition cylinder, an antenna surrounding the cylinder sends out a signal and the chip responds. When a recognized code is detected from the key, the security light stops flashing and the engine will start. If no code is detected, or it's an unrecognized code, the ignition system and fuel pump are disabled. With this system each of your keys has a different chip and each one must be programmed to the ECU in your car. Do you have only one key to try?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the only key I have. I just don't understand why the guy disabled the lockout, it worked for about 3 weeks, then suddenly went back into lockout.

·
Super Moderator
799 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts