Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Friends,
Reading in 4.5 Sub-Forum our kindred are installing Hella plug-&-play replacement horns, considerably LOUDER than stock.

Anyone know of Amazon horns 1/ Plug-and-Play or 2/ Easy for DIYers to install?
Do aftermarket horns 1/ Simply plug into existing Wiring Harness or 2/ Require running wire all the way back to Battery? Will these Amazon horns "FITS 1998 RAV4" work?:
$11.79-ea. FIAMM #72112 Freeway Blaster LOW Note Horn
$12.85-ea. FIAMM #72102 Freeway Blaster HIGH Note Horn

Fun little project, huh? Good having L-O-U-D horns to announce:
??♬ "I mean bidnezz!" ♬??

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I think I posted on here about installing those horns, or the Highway Blaster pair? Was something like $20 for both. I had to make the cross-connecting wire, but didn't need a separate relay or larger fuse. Noticeably louder/fuller, but not obnoxious.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lugnut, did you have to cut or bypass the factory wiring harness? The new horns came w/ loose male spade connectors-- did you have to use those?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Successfully installed aftermarket horns. Decidedly louder than original, stock OEM Toyota horns that were badly corroded, and feeble-sounding. My Shop Notes if you want to try this worthwhile upgrade:

VIN JTxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
DATE of HORN REPLACEMENT: 06-07FEB2020
MILEAGE: 211,906-mi.
PART NUMBERS:

• #86510-42030 ORIGINAL Horn Assembly HIGH PITCH Toyota [$62.77] <-- REMOVED
    • FIAMM #72102 Freeway Blaster HIGH Note Horn Sold by: Amazon $12.08 <-- INSTALLED
  • #86520-42040 ORIGINAL Horn Assembly LOW PITCH Toyota [$62.77] <-- REMOVED
    • FIAMM #72112 Freeway Blaster LOW Note Horn by: Amazon $10.61 <-- INSTALLED
TOOLS for both HORNS:
  • 12-mm. BOLT: secures bracket to RAV4 frame
  • 10-mm. BOLT: secures horn & Ground Wire to bracket
  • Sockets
  • SPECIALTY TOOL (Lonnie at Corry Auto Skills): Crowsfoot 12-mm. + Extender Bar + 3/8-in. Socket Wrench: access pesky port-side (LH) horn 12-mm bracket bolt;
  • Electrical Tape
  • Liquid Elec. Tape
  • 3:1 Marine Shrink tubing & cigarette lighter
  • Wire Strippers
  • 16-GA automotive wire spool
  • CONNECTORS: Male Spades (two on horn: 1-Power, 1-Ground), female spades from Battery;
VIDEOS:
  • https:// www. youtube. com/watch?v=i38cH18XJKs
    • How to install Dual horn from a Toyota's single horn Terminal 2,759 views •Sep 8, 2019
  • https:// www. youtube. com/watch?v=d980sdQ1hRo
    • How to test a horn in your car truck van vehicle using 12v Battery •Mar 3, 2019 Auto Repair Champs
AMAZON Q&A:
  • $11.79 FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Low Note Horn
    • A fellow customer answered your question, "Listing says fits '98 toyota rav4. if not plug-&-play can i run wire back to battery, will that work?" Ron Vargas answered: "This is a 2 wire hook up. Positive and Negative. Simple"
      • A fellow customer answered your question, "Listing says fits '98 toyota rav4. if not plug-&-play can i run wire back to battery, will that work?" Roscoe Daniels answered: "Yes, that’s what I did and it works fine."
      • FIAMM 72102 Freeway Blaster... A fellow customer answered your question, "Will this fit my 1998 toyota rav4 4-door hardtop manual transmission plug-&-play or will i have to run wire back to battery?" Richie answered: "First, you will also need the 72112, Low Note. These horns are a matched pair and by itself the 72102 will sound feeble. I have installed two sets of these: one in a 2013 Fiat 500 the other in a 2017 Sentra. I assume that by saying, "running a wire", you mean adding a relay. I did not have to install a relay in either car and in fact I used the same factory wires and horn mounting positions with Zero modifications on both cars. The Fiamm is a huge improvement over stock."
      • Answers to your question
        • "I had someone put it on and replaced the factory horn. Easy to do. No running wires. But it was for my 2016 Nissan Rogue so you may want to check to see if it will work on your vehicle. Use You Tube for instructions." sherrie neri
        • "a friend installed it on my 1999 honda crv he did the work is all i know..don't know if he had to add wireing...but the horn really blasted and two would be outragious....." G. w.
        • "First, you will also need the 72112, Low Note. These horns are a matched pair and by itself the 72102 will sound feeble. I have installed two sets of these: one in a 2013 Fiat 500 the other in a 2017 Sentra. I assume that by saying, "running a wire", you mean adding a relay. I did not have to install a relay in either car and in fact I used the same factory wires and horn mounting positions with Zero modifications on both cars. The Fiamm is a huge improvement over stock." Richie
NOTES:
SUN 09FEB2020
  • TESTED RAV4 horn: per this Video w/ Alligator Clips:
    • BLACK LEAD: Male terminal on horn <---> (-) Battery pole
    • RED LEAD: (+) Battery pole <---> "Ground Screw" on back of HORN
      • both "H" (high) and "L" (low tone) horns sounded, but quite feebly!
      • https:// www. youtube. com/watch?v=d980sdQ1hRo
        • How to test a horn in your car truck van vehicle using 12v Battery •Mar 3, 2019 Auto Repair Champs
  • INSTALLATION NOTES: RH (passenger) horn's wire was completely disconnected (spade broken off). Thus had to re-build the connection w/ 4-in. 16-GA wire + female spade connector (to fit male on Fiamm horn).
  • Applied liquid electrical tape to protect connections
RAV4 WORLD:
? Seek 4.1 Plug-n-Play Replacement Horn Louder than OEM? ?
Seek 4.1 Plug-n-Play Replacement Horn Louder than OEM?
Home Forums RAV4.1 First Generation (1994-2000 Models) 4.1 D.I.Y. and Modifications

[this Thread]
Cheers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts