Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'm about to buy a 2007 RAV4 V6 Limited with 175K km (109K miles) for about 5.5$ CAD (I'm trading my vehicle in this deal).

My main concern with RAV4 V6 in general is that, from what I've been reading around, they are not as reliable as you'd expect from a Toyota. I currently have a Corolla 2008 Special Edition and it's an awesome piece of machinery. I just need more space and an automatic car so the wife can drive it as well.. the RAV4 seems to me like a good fit. But I'm certainly concerned that this becomes a money sucker.

What do you guys think, after owning these cars for over over 5 years?

Should I look at a 2010+, even if the cost is way higher compared to this 2007?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
When getting the v6 you're golden...many people have posted to having over 200k miles on them...the only real issues are water pumps, oil hoses, coil packs and a possible transmission whine that does not effect performance...Google those things and you will learn more...2009 was a mid cycle refresh and a few nice things were added...overall they are really good vehicles...

·
Super Moderator
10,227 Posts
I'd certainly recommend the 2007 V6. Our '06 (bought at 72K) has 126K on it and has not had the water pump or whine issues you probably found in your searches.

I did replace the ignition coils myself but considered it a low cost minor repair. That issue pretty much went away by '07 and has probably already been done if it did occur on yours.

Ours does have the low speed steering clunk but it's nothing harmful. In fact I only seem to notice it when my wife is driving.

Other than oil & filters every 5K my only other repair was replacing the right front strut.

O yeah, I had the VVT hose replaced free under the 8/80 US warranty, but all they do is put a new rubber one on so I recently replaced it with the metal one used on later models.

Also had the muffler replaced free under the 8/80 since it's one-piece with the converter. But again that's probably been done on yours. If not, and the next time for mine, I'll simply replace the muffler itself to avoid the $1300 cat/muffler Toyota part.

Shocks/struts and water pumps are what I'd consider normal wear items that can fail at any time on any car, so I'd consider the less-than-normal Toyota reliability parts to be: The ignition coils (fixed in early '07), the VVT hose (replaced with metal in '08?), and the muffler that lasts 200K on other cars (fixed? don't know but I haven't seen it be mentioned at all lately).

My only real concern for the '07 is the hose which has led to engine failure as it dumps its oil. I've been told by my local dealer that if it's been replaced by Toyota and fails Toyota will replace the engine but for maybe $25 and an hours work I'd put the metal one on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it wouldn't make much sense to pay $9.5K (that's $4K more) for a 2009 RAV4 Limited V6 with almost the same milage, just as a "piece of mind"?

I got that other offer on the table and I'm trying to balance all these factors, but being a new comer to the RAV world, it's becoming kind of a difficult decision :)

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
In general, as a company's model lines progress through the years more possible issues are sorted out and reliability increases, and sometimes there are added features as well. That appears to be the situation with the 2006-2012 (4.3 generation) RAV4 V6 as well. Personally, I would opt for a later year. So far my '11 V6 has been flawless and has upgrades such as Bluetooth but it doesn't have many miles on it.. Yet, obviously what to buy is a personal one and involves available finances as well as other factors.

·
Super Moderator
10,227 Posts
So it wouldn't make much sense to pay $9.5K (that's $4K more) for a 2009 RAV4 Limited V6 with almost the same mileage, just as a "piece of mind"?
Unless you gotta have Bluetooth, etc. the '07 sounds like the best deal to me at that price difference. The water pump could go on either at any time - or never.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah I see, so the water pump issues and the other common problems are not exclusive of the 2006-2008 models ? I'm really looking for a reliable vehicle rather than a fancy one.

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
Ah I see, so the water pump issues and the other common problems are not exclusive of the 2006-2008 models ? I'm really looking for a reliable vehicle rather than a fancy one.

The coolant pump issue was resolved in later year models - Toyota replaced the pump with an improved pump model with a different part number apparently with the 2009 RAV4 V6 and the failure rate has decreased dramatically. The transmission whine issue apparently isn't confined to any particular year or years, but Toyota will replace the transmission on V6 models which are still under warranty - if the factory 5 year 60K powertrain warranty has expired for 4.3s warranty coverage would only apply if the vehicle has an extended VSA which Is still in effect. Here is a link to Toyota's document about the whine issue: https://www.rav4world.com/d1/attachments/pdf/T-SB-0130-12.pdf

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mm.... I get your point. My only concern would be with the water pump in the 2007 model. Let's say I still chose this model, should the water pump fail, can't the dealer replace it with the units available in the 2009+ ?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
mm.... I get your point. My only concern would be with the water pump in the 2007 model. Let's say I still chose this model, should the water pump fail, can't the dealer replace it with the units available in the 2009+ ?
I believe that is correct. I wouldn't worry about the water pump specifically.

However, an easy thing to check is to see if the oil hose was replaced with the all-metal one. That's the only thing that could fail which would cause catastrophic engine failure in a hurry.

Other than that, while any used vehicle may have its issues, the 2007 looks like the better deal to me.

Here are some pictures and info on the oil hose issue for older V6's:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/178...-wont-cover-damages-warning-4.html#post908370

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-...mry-lexus-oil-hose-failing-59.html#post961361

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
If the existing pump were to fail the new part is a direct replacement. Hopefully there wouldn't be any failure but if there were to be, suggest that you make certain that the replacement has a different part number.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hey,

I'm about to buy a 2007 RAV4 V6 Limited with 175K km (109K miles) for about 5.5$ CAD (I'm trading my vehicle in this deal).

What do you guys think, after owning these cars for over over 5 years?

Should I look at a 2010+, even if the cost is way higher compared to this 2007?

Thanks
^^ I found a Doctors 2008 Limited v6 with 89,xxx Km ( last summer on Kijiji) / now at 119,xxx km.
- best family car & wife's work vehicle / we have had, in last 40 years
- 4x4 traction, is a tank on Ontario snow covered roads
- doesn't use a drop of oil / using new synthetic oil & WIX Platinum filter, every 8,000 Km
(old oil, still has over 1/2 of its clean honey color)
- vehicle is a speed demon, when passing on the highway
- perfect in every way, I wouldn't waste $10,000 extra Cdn. for a newer model

I suspect the 2007 at $5,500 Cdn, is after the trade is deducted / what is the cash price of 2007 alone vs. the 2010?
All things being equal condition wise & same mileage...except $$ out of pocket / little value in buying newer and suffering more deprecation expense. Big deal a newer year model may have a better water pump, so change it out / could already be done.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The price of the 2007 is 8850$ CAD and the 2009 costs 10,995$ CAD. Sounds to me like they are in good price, but again, I'm new to RAV4's

The mileage and conditions on both vehicles is almost the same.

My reasoning is that, in both cases I'll have to deal with maintenances, repairs, etc., i.e. Cost of Ownership. So I believe that by saving 4K upfront, I could use that as a budget for repairs down the road. Unless the 2009 is a rock as my current Corolla 2008 (that car is freaking awesome)

I can always wait to see if another "deal" shows up in autotrader or kijiji

You guys understand my dilemma haha. I appreciate your help

·
Super Moderator
10,227 Posts
Well, math in CAD must be different than real (US) dollars :wink because I got a difference of 2,145 not 4,000.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The difference of 4K in the final number is heavily influenced by the evaluation of the car I'm trading in: one dealer is offering 3.5K $ while the other is putting 2K $ in the table. I'm also including the taxes in the final numbers because at the of the day, that's what I'll have to pay.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Personally, I'd get one of the 2009+ models. Toyota as a company was in overall disarray in 2007 as it expanded globally. Consumer Reports dropped all recommendations that year citing poor quality control, an unprecedented step.

If you read thousands of threads here , you'll get the feeling there were more problems in the 07 and 08 models--and they got sorted out by 2009. This is backed up by the TrueDelta Data compiled by a forum member Mkaresh:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/59753-rav4-reliability-how-does-compare-truedelta-com-12.html

Toyota RAV4 Reliability

There are fine 07 and 08's as individuals will attest. But statistically, the newer is more reliable. Sometimes it is just a function of age of vehicle, but there is a noticable improvement in 09. I wouldn't get hung up on something like a water pump issue. But going into a purchase, make sure to get one without the transmission whine. Also, there are a number of cases of folks having expensive problems with the dual zone climate control on the 07 and 08 Limited RAVs, also more problems with coils and sensors (again my observations).

RAV is back in CR good graces and in fact just rated the 2011 V6 as one of the best for 'going the distance.' You could include the 09-2012 in that group, IMO, and where I would look for most reliability for the buck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Personally, I'd get one of the 2009+ models. Toyota as a company was in overall disarray in 2007 as it expanded globally. Consumer Reports dropped all recommendations that year citing poor quality control, an unprecedented step.

If you read thousands of threads here , you'll get the feeling there were more problems in the 07 and 08 models--and they got sorted out by 2009. This is backed up by the TrueDelta Data compiled by a forum member Mkaresh:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/59753-rav4-reliability-how-does-compare-truedelta-com-12.html

Toyota RAV4 Reliability

There are fine 07 and 08's as individuals will attest. But statistically, the newer is more reliable. Sometimes it is just a function of age of vehicle, but there is a noticable improvement in 09. I wouldn't get hung up on something like a water pump issue. But going into a purchase, make sure to get one without the transmission whine. Also, there are a number of cases of folks having expensive problems with the dual zone climate control on the 07 and 08 Limited RAVs, also more problems with coils and sensors (again my observations).

RAV is back in CR good graces and in fact just rated the 2011 V6 as one of the best for 'going the distance.' You could include the 09-2012 in that group, IMO, and where I would look for most reliability for the buck.

That could be true, and the numbers in TrueDelta confirm that there's almost twice the number of problems for a 2007 vs 2009. However, those numbers are sometimes hard to put in context because 1) the amount of tested vehicles is not always the same, 2) a 2009 vehicle might not exhibit the same number issues as it's still a newer car (like you said, it could be a function of the vehicle's age).

That said, I've read a gazillion reviews about all 2006-2012 V6 and my overall impression is that:

1) the quality is not close to other Toyota vehicles such as the 2004-2009 4Runner or even the 2003-2008 Corolla. Everyone complains about rattles, funny/weird noises, whining transmissions, etc.

2) cost of ownership is relatively high, again, for someone used to Toyota's quality

I know forums tend to be magnets for over-the-reality issues at times, but I'm wondering if this is correct.

-- I'm not ranting whatsoever --

·
Super Moderator
10,227 Posts
1) the quality is not close to other Toyota vehicles such as the 2004-2009 4Runner or even the 2003-2008 Corolla. Everyone complains about rattles, funny/weird noises, whining transmissions, etc.

2) cost of ownership is relatively high, again, for someone used to Toyota's quality
No such complaints here. And all of the few additional costs are forgotten with one solid push with my right foot - on any surface, in any weather - and w/o her riding shotgun.

I will say your fuel mileage will be down a bunch from the Corolla.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's another thing I wanted to check out: according to various sources, I should expect around 22 MPG combined with the V6. Is that a fair number?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
That's another thing I wanted to check out: according to various sources, I should expect around 22 MPG combined with the V6. Is that a fair number?
I'd say that's certainly in the ballpark. It can vary noticeably depending mostly on how you drive it, the quality of gasoline you use, whether or not you're high up in the mountains, etc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts