Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am new to the forum and currently looking to purchase a 2 door Rav4. Would love any tips from current owners on anything related...where to find them, things to look for before purchase, etc.

Thanks!
Looking forward to being a part of the Rav first gen family soon!

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
OK, if you want to know if it's been well take care of do the following.
Check the Radiator, if they are using water. That is a killer for the 3SFE water pump.
Pull the oil dip stick, if it has fresh oil, your good to go. If not, not a good sign.
Check under the vehicle and see if you don't see any shine parts. It mean that it has been driven ruffly in bad roads.
Check tires, are they good. Take a penny and plce it into the tread, if you don't see Abraham L. hair, they are worn out.
Open the bonnet, and go to the corners, (in the head light areas) push on it, if it keeps rocking up and down, shocks are worn.
Check all signal lights and fuses.
Take a
OBD II Scanner Tool and check the system going under the dash just behind the right knee in the drivers seat. Their is a plug. Plug it in and read the codes. If the owner doesn't let you, walk away.​

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Welcome to the forums...

The 2dr came in different variations...
Are you looking for FWD or AWD ? Automatic or Manual ?
The 2dr was available in the US from 1996-1999.
There were different configurations such as 96-99 a hardtop model was available, i.e. no sunroofs.
96-97 had optional dual sunroofs.
98-99 had a convertible option with a front sunroof.
Depending on what you are looking for may make it harder to find one.
FWD models are easier to find than AWD models.
There are many options/choices to consider while looking.
Good luck with your search, and I hope you find what you are looking for.
The 2dr is a really unique model.
:smile

·
Registered
15 Posts
As a 2 door Rav4 owner I can tell you that it's a sweet & fun ride! Because it's a bouncy drive, make sure the motor mounts are good. I had mine replaced several years ago and we're good to go.

It's an amazing little zipper! Have fun searching! Mine is for sale but my mother in law has her sights on it!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Oil consupmtion with these 2.0 engines can be a concern. And you must crawl underneath the front end and inspect the K frame. The AC condensate drips on the subframe and rotts it out. Trust me on this one. Wish I had known this before I over paid at the dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts