Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! I'm new to this forum and thank you in advance for your guidance.
Short story: Need a new engine for my new-to-me 05 Rav4 Automatic 4WD.
Longer story: We bought a 2005 Rav4 back in 06 when my daughter was born. Drove it for 5 years and then moved from San Francisco to Maine where we now live. While here, I was under the silly impression that I needed 4WD so we sold the Rav, much to our chagrin since we loved it so much! Had we only been told about snow tires (silly newbies, thinking that all-season radials actually meant that!), we would have kept it and been happy.
Fast forward to last week, when a neighbor's 05 Rav4 (auto, 4WD) died - she had a "noisy engine" for about 18 months and the dealer (stealership is what I call 'em) told her there was nothing she could do about it, so she just drove it until it died.
Sigh.
Anyway, she sold the car to me for a song and I'm ready to dive into this project! I have full tools and a lift at my disposal and I do all my own work (I've learned a lot in the past decade of wrenching now that I have the time); mostly rust repair, suspension/brakes...but I've done (once) a transmission swap on a Honda Element so I think I can handle an engine swap.
The questions are:
1. Where can I get one of these engines? They seem about as scarce as a bikini in January around here!
2. Will ANY 05 Rav4 engine work? I know some cars where there are both FWD and 4WD options will have different mounting points for the transmission/transfer case - wanna make sure I search for/buy the right motor.
2.5. Same goes for the auto vs. manual question - in my experience, the motor's the motor, regardless of tranny type, but just thought I'd ask..?
3. Anything else you want to toss my way in terms of advice or suggestions? Can I put a 2.0 in, for example? I'm not looking for tons of power (as some forums are dedicated to); I just want a reliable runner for my wife to drive (and if a smaller engine will fit and is easier to source, I'll take it)
4. Is the same engine in any other cars? I read something about Scion motors - which ones? Which years? And what about 5th digit VIN "E" vs "D" (mine's D)
My VIN is JTEHD20VX50057291
If you're curious: Current motor lasted 241K miles and previous owner did all required maintenance. Car is in pretty darn nice shape considering we're in rusty Maine! It's a nice gold color with silver bumpers and door panels. Interior is clean and everything works as it should.
I'm excited but need help - give me some good news and info! I'm happy to provide pics and a running commentary if anyone's interested...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ever think about rebuilding the one you have? At least one perk of rebuilding your engine is knowing what you're starting with, as opposed to purchasing someone else's wreck.
I can't speak for Maine, but where I lived in Washington I did some research and found a shop and some tools to help me build a 2UZ-FE 4.7 motor.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Because of ECU controls, I'm guessing you can't change to a different size motor unless the ECU is changed out too, plus I don't know if the transmission mounting flange is different. I would try to stay with the same engine/transmission setup. You can probably by one from somewhere online but would have to pay freight/handling charges. There are some online services that will search the Country to find a match based on your VIN#. I'm thinking that might be the best way if you can't find one locally.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm kinda surprised I haven't gotten more feedback about what other Toyotas used the same engine - seems like a Camry or Scion would...?
I have no idea what rebuilding an engine is all about - but that's more work than a swap (though I do see the logic about "the devil you know")
Yes, there are plenty of engines available online....for HUGE money.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well several Toyota/Scion vehicles also came equipped with the 2AZ-FE; RAV4, Camry, Corolla, xB and tC.

Most of these engines are interchangeable with the RAV4 with minor modifications, but the tC models 2005-2007 are identical, no part swapping required.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a huge help and essentially doubles my search range! For the Ravs themselves, what years have the same engine as my 05?

·
Registered
165 Posts
2004-2005.

I should add that I have no idea what the software compatibility between 4WD RAVs and Scion models would be like, none of them had 4WD. I can only share that the physical 2AZ-FE hardware is identical.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've found two 06 Scions for under $1K so I'm on the right track...
Can anyone confirm the Scion story?
Bueller? Anyone out there?

·
Registered
165 Posts
My software comment is just a caution, I don't think you'd have a problem carrying over your current harness and plugging it into a Scion tC for example.

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts
www.car-part.com is a good resource for both parts and research.
Just checked. They're listing 2004-06 engines with VIN 5th digit = D but I'd avoid an '06 engine since that's when oil burning issues started.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just found a local, rear-ended 06 Scion Tc with 149K on it, but the 5th digit is E (JTKDE177560138579). Think I should go for it?

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts
If the salvage yards say you need a D, and car-part does, you're on your own with an E. If many threads on RAV4World say beware of '06-08 engines burning copious amounts of oil, and they do say that, you're again on your own.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's not the salvage yards that say I need a D, I thought it read it on these forums.
I am familiar with the oil-burning - it's how I got here! The solution (if it happens again with whatever engine I find) is to simply check my oil at every fill of the tank; just like the old days!
So, can anyone definitively tell me if a 5th-digit E engine is a straight swap into my D Rav?

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is so confusing. Apparently, "D" says I have a "2ZZ-GE" engine, but I have personally LOOKED under the hood and the code stamped on my engine is "2AZ-FE".
BUT, I looked under the hood of a random Scion Xb at the local shop and it had a "2AZ-FE" engine, but it most definitely was not the same as what's in my Rav....
?
So I called my dealer and they said I have a 2AZ-FE according to my VIN - what's up with that? They said "any 2AZ-FE" will fit but there might be ECU issues.
Why is this so hard.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You have a 2AZ-FE.
As I mentioned above (post #5), the engine has several model applications but accessories may vary. Intakes, alternators, water pumps, exhaust manifolds . . . all of the bolt-ons are subject to change from the base 2AZ-FE, hence your experience with the xB.

Any 2004-2005 RAV4 4WD or 2005-2007 Scion tC will be a direct bolt-in fit. I share the opinion of staying away from 2006-2007 model 2AZ-FEs.

I believe some members here have used Camry or Corolla model 2AZ-FEs. The only modification I believe they made were simple like perhaps the intake manifold.

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts
This is so confusing. Apparently, "D" says I have a "2ZZ-GE" engine, but I have personally LOOKED under the hood and the code stamped on my engine is "2AZ-FE".
Where did you get the 2ZZ-GE info?

The variations 05RAV mentions likely account for the possible ECU issues since some sensors or actuators may be different. But that just means taking anything different off your old engine and installing it or them on the replacement. It's common practice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got it. Thanks.
The frustration stems from the fact that I have a 5th digit "D" and when I look up salvage yard parts (Thanks Dr. Dyno!), they almost all mention "5th digit E", whether I'm looking for Scion engines or Rav ones.
As such, when I call the salvage yard, they won't guarantee fitment and some outright refuse to sell me an engine because of the VIN discrepancy.

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts
In scanning down the car-part list where D or E are listed the cars on the left are RAV4 or Scion respectively.

Again, as 05RAV says, many Camry engines may fit too but yards want to avoid returns so they don't want to sell something that MAY not fit.
Changing the search to 2005 Camry shows three different 2.4L "E" engines

1 - 20 of 22 Posts